XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Brake Lamp Failure Dash Light

Old 11-05-2016, 11:45 AM
Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Brake Lamp Failure Dash Light

Does anyone know the quickest way to replace the brake lamp bulb? Figured I'd ask before taking things off that I may not need to. Thanks.

Old 11-05-2016, 12:37 PM
Received 56 Likes on 40 Posts

You just have to take the black plastic trim off. There are two nuts that hold the unit on tha can be accessed from inside.

Be careful not to lever the unit out and putting pressure on the pointed end. These are often broken. My manual states that there is only one nut but there are two

Mine is a convertible model but the principle is the same if you have the coupe

Old 11-05-2016, 01:34 PM
Received 465 Likes on 308 Posts

After taking the two nuts off - you need to pull with quite a bit of force to remove the whole assembly - just did that myself recently

Old 11-05-2016, 02:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,887 Likes on 1,281 Posts

On the 4.2L the above is correct, there are 2 nuts. On the 5.0L (the LED lamp modules) there are 3. On the 4.2L units there is a peg near the pointy end of the housing, that fits into a plastic plug in the chassis (the LED units have a threaded bolt instead).
I found it easier to push from the inside, instead of pulling from the outside. I used needle nose pliers to squeeze that plastic plug at its tip, to gently forcing the peg on the pointy end of the lamp housing straight out of the car body, thereby avoiding the motion which can cause lamp housing tip to break.

Old 11-06-2016, 09:08 AM
Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Woo5ie
You just have to take the black plastic trim off. There are two nuts that hold the unit on tha can be accessed from inside.

Be careful not to lever the unit out and putting pressure on the pointed end. These are often broken. My manual states that there is only one nut but there are two

Mine is a convertible model but the principle is the same if you have the coupe
hi, tnx. which plastic trim are you referring to? the carpeted piece that runs all around the inside of the car, or something else? tnx.

Old 11-06-2016, 10:34 AM
Received 333 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by kj07xk
On the 4.2L the above is correct, there are 2 nuts. On the 5.0L (the LED lamp modules) there are 3. On the 4.2L units there is a peg near the pointy end of the housing, that fits into a plastic plug in the chassis (the LED units have a threaded bolt instead).
I found it easier to push from the inside, instead of pulling from the outside. I used needle nose pliers to squeeze that plastic plug at its tip, to gently forcing the peg on the pointy end of the lamp housing straight out of the car body, thereby avoiding the motion which can cause lamp housing tip to break.

"On the 4.2L units there is a peg near the pointy end of the housing, that fits into a plastic plug in the chassis.." very important detail!

Old 11-06-2016, 10:35 AM
Received 333 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by multistrada74
hi, tnx. which plastic trim are you referring to? the carpeted piece that runs all around the inside of the car, or something else? tnx.

I think he means the black plastic trim around the taillight area [you only see it when the trunk is open]