XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Brake Pad Recommendation

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2015, 04:08 AM
Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts

Have an XFR amd swapped out the OEM pads for EBC yellows........if you think the standard pads dust up they aint got nothing on Yellows......alloys have dust all over them from my 16 mile commute to work and when i get home i have dust down the car!!!! Drove me mental.........swapped them out for EBC Reds........night and day!!! Jusr as much if not a tad more bite and less dust than the OEMs.......great pad

Old 01-11-2016, 10:22 PM
Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts

Well gents I just had to replace both breaks and rotors front and back at 40k miles on my 2010 XKR. I went with the upgraded OEM parts to keep it like she came from the factory. It cost me approx $1500.00 usd. I did say ouch but it was worth it. The only thing I didn't do was to get the slotted and drilled rotors. I wish I had but I told you he tech to keep it factory grade

Old 01-12-2016, 07:52 AM
Received 88 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by kj07xk
Got the front Akebono's from TireRack for $90 and just installed them today. Took a test drive tonight, no squeaks, real quiet. Think I'm going to like them, especially if they are low dust (cleaned each wheel before putting them back on, so I can monitor for dust).
I found the Akebono front pads on Amazon for $68 and ordered a set. Just FYI for next time.

Old 01-12-2016, 09:17 AM
Received 55 Likes on 38 Posts

I had akibono fronts on my 08xk and it was night and day as far as dust goes. I'm planning on changing them out to ceramic for my xkr when i get it serviced the first time. I'm also thinking of powder coating the calipers while im at it. I was thinking red but with the azurite blue I'm wondering if a blue color might look nice or too weird.

Old 01-13-2016, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by apost8n8
I had akibono fronts on my 08xk and it was night and day as far as dust goes. I'm planning on changing them out to ceramic for my xkr when i get it serviced the first time. I'm also thinking of powder coating the calipers while im at it. I was thinking red but with the azurite blue I'm wondering if a blue color might look nice or too weird.
Yeah, I have the Akebonos on the rear and there is indeed a big difference in the dust - much less.

Take a photo of your car from the side and then Photoshop red onto the calipers. Or maybe someone already has that color combo that you can Google?

Old 01-13-2016, 12:30 PM

Okay, not to completely hijack the thread but I too want to replace pads with ceramics and when I do I'm thinking of powder coating calipers as well. What do you think of the red (photoshopped)?

Last edited by apost8n8; 01-13-2016 at 04:27 PM.
Old 01-13-2016, 01:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,902 Likes on 1,290 Posts

That's a tough one, I could go either way.
1. It does add a bit of sport car look, but
2. It also reminds me of talking to a beautiful woman that has some lettuce stuck between her front teeth. Kind of ruining the moment.

Guess I'd opt for black, or body color.

The following users liked this post:
apost8n8 (01-13-2016)
Old 01-13-2016, 04:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 493 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by ralphwg
I have Posiquiet ceramic pads on my 12 vert. I got them from Tire Rack. I have no complaints and their shipment was pretty quick.
+1 and/or Akebono on the rears which are quite proven in many forums. I have Posi Quiet ceramics on front with Akebono on rears. No complaints, no noise, almost no dust.

Old 01-14-2016, 08:32 AM

Okay, not to completely hijack the thread but I too want to replace pads with ceramics and when I do I'm thinking of powder coating calipers as well. What do you think of the red (photoshopped)?

I rather like it. Very sporty.

I've been toying with painting mine, but with my color scheme (Liquid Silver paint, chrome Sabre wheels) I'm not sure what color would look good. My wife has been asking me to paint the calipers on her Mercedes, so maybe that'll inspire me to do my own as well.

Old 01-14-2016, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by Big Otter
I rather like it. Very sporty.

I've been toying with painting mine, but with my color scheme (Liquid Silver paint, chrome Sabre wheels) I'm not sure what color would look good. My wife has been asking me to paint the calipers on her Mercedes, so maybe that'll inspire me to do my own as well.
Yeah I think I like it too. My photoshop job makes them pop more than reality so I think it wont have that "lettuce in teeth" look, lol. My 08xk calipers were painted red by its previous owner and I liked the look but they started to flake towards the end. I'm going to get them powder coated red and see about getting a JAGUAR or R decal or paint on those. I noticed that the front calipers have a "cover" in the middle with JAGUAR etched on them and the back calipers have a flat plate with the same but both are very faded. I wonder if those parts can just be bought with the decals. I'll have to search.

Also is there a big difference between the akibonos and posi quiets? Why the mismatch?

Last edited by apost8n8; 01-14-2016 at 09:06 AM.
Old 01-14-2016, 09:04 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll be replacing the pads as soon as the weather warms up here in NNJ.
My question is for DIY,do I need any special tools for the rear calipers ?

Thanks

Old 01-14-2016, 09:16 AM

Yeah I think I like it too. My photoshop job makes them pop more than reality so I think it wont have that "lettuce in teeth" look, lol. My 08xk calipers were painted red by its previous owner and I liked the look but they started to flake towards the end. I'm going to get them powder coated red and see about getting a JAGUAR or R decal or paint on those. I noticed that the front calipers have a "cover" in the middle with JAGUAR etched on them and the back calipers have a flat plate with the same but both are very faded. I wonder if those parts can just be bought with the decals. I'll have to search.

Also is there a big difference between the akibonos and posi quiets? Why the mismatch?
Member "bocatrip" has the mismatch. I'm going to put Akebonos in the front this weekend, to match the rear.

Old 01-14-2016, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by Jag10

Thanks
Yes, you'll need a brake rewind tool, to get the pistons back in. AutoZone has the tool (at least mine did). You pay for the tool, then when you bring it back, you get your money back. No need to purchase the tool.

Jag10 (01-14-2016)
Old 01-14-2016, 10:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,902 Likes on 1,290 Posts

I doubt if there is much if any difference. IIRC, Akebono doesn't make a pad that will fit the front brakes of the 2010+ cars.

Old 01-14-2016, 09:12 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jag10

Thanks
Just did rear brakes/rotors last week. If you have any questions PM me, or post them here.

Windback Tool:
Amazon.com: Neiko® 20733A Disc Brake Pad and Caliper Wind Back Kit | 12-Piece Set: Home Improvement Amazon.com: Neiko® 20733A Disc Brake Pad and Caliper Wind Back Kit | 12-Piece Set: Home Improvement

Hex Socket Bit Set (forgot what size)

Then the typical things:
Torque Wrench
silicone brake lubricant
locktight
anti-seize

Jag10 (01-18-2016)
Old 03-11-2016, 04:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,380 Likes on 1,607 Posts

Originally Posted by rfr66
I have a 2014 xkr convertible and the newer Jag brakes are set up with most of the braking force coming from the rears so that the nose does not dive under hard breaking.
Are you sure about this? It completely defies all known brake wisdom. Traditionally cars with 50/50 weight distribution will use 70% braking upront and 30% rear. If you put brakes on the part that has no weight- it will fishtail. Moreover Jaguar has 2x the braking surface on the front wheels- why would they put the smaller rotor in the back? Am I missing something. Dont worry you wont offend me.

Old 03-11-2016, 04:47 PM
Veteran Member

BTW from a test result I read, the Jaguar braking distance is better than the Lambo Balboni which has been fitted with $13,000 carbon brakes.

Old 03-11-2016, 06:28 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by kj07xk
I doubt if there is much if any difference. IIRC, Akebono doesn't make a pad that will fit the front brakes of the 2010+ cars.
No difference. Akebono does not make and will not make in the near future any front pads for the 2010 XK+ fronts. Yes for the rears. Centric Posi Quiets work fine for the fronts. No mismatch. compatible. I'm a total fanatic and after 2 years with these pads, the car stops quickly, almsot no dust at all, and no noise. It's the best way to go with a 2010XK. Take it from smeone who is totally **** about perfection!

The following 2 users liked this post by bocatrip:
Queen and Country (03-12-2016), ralphwg (03-11-2016)
Old 03-12-2016, 09:08 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by bocatrip
No difference. Akebono does not make and will not make in the near future any front pads for the 2010 XK+ fronts. Yes for the rears. Centric Posi Quiets work fine for the fronts. No mismatch. compatible. I'm a total fanatic and after 2 years with these pads, the car stops quickly, almsot no dust at all, and no noise. It's the best way to go with a 2010XK. Take it from smeone who is totally **** about perfection!

Thank you for ending a lot a conflicting accounts. The only thing I was very uncertain of was the unestablished name 'posi quiet" I am totally penal when it comes to perfection and will not buy mickey mouse brands. I will put these on after your recommendation.

Can you testify to the claims of another member claiming that the brake is rear biased.

Old 03-13-2016, 11:00 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Queen and Country
Thank you for ending a lot a conflicting accounts. The only thing I was very uncertain of was the unestablished name 'posi quiet" I am totally penal when it comes to perfection and will not buy mickey mouse brands. I will put these on after your recommendation.

Can you testify to the claims of another member claiming that the brake is rear biased.
I too was concerned before going with the Centrics, but have been proven they do just as good a job as the Akebonos did with my G35 which I had fronts and backs. After speaking with an Akebono tech (called the company) I was informed that Akebono does not make front pads for the 2010 XK and newer models. There has to be enough model production numbers for the company to make pads for any car. Rear brake pads do have a tendency to wear out faster on cars these days. It's not just Jaguar.

Last edited by bocatrip; 03-13-2016 at 11:04 AM.

Quick Reply: Brake Pad Recommendation