XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

British by the sea report

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2017, 05:21 AM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default British by the sea report

British By The Sea Gathering 2017 is history, and it was very successful. 326 BRITISH vehicles on display! For pictures, go to CT MG Club. click on the British By The Sea tab on the upper right, a slide show will start, also just below the slide show click on MORE PHOTOS (220 MORE)
Thanks to all of our volunteers and participants.

STEVE

The following 3 users liked this post by BLACK52TD:
jagtoes (06-13-2017), ralphwg (06-13-2017), Stuart S (06-13-2017)
Old 06-13-2017, 07:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

Thanks. Not many Rolls or Bentley. Nice seeing to M200 Lotus Elan's! Love that car.

Old 06-13-2017, 06:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,142 Likes on 3,384 Posts
Default Trip Down Memory Lane

Steve,

Thanks for bringing back so many memories. I looked through all the photos and, since the featured marque was MG, I expected to find some shots of my first car, a 1955 MG TF1500. I didn't see any, but may have missed it. So for anyone who might be interested in what it looks like, I found an old picture taken in October of 1957 when my Dad bought it for me used for $1,500. I learned a lot from that car - how to drive a stick, beauty is only skin deep (because the mechanicals were so unreliable), how to fix it, and why the British called it a sports car.

It was great fun, notwithstanding it had only 60HP (I think). Although it had a 4-speed, 1st gear was not synchromesh and maxed out at around 10 mph. So, I didn't downshift into first for fear of breaking a tooth ... until I learned how to double-clutch and rev match to downshift without a crunch. Top down driving was great, particularly when I folded the windshield down flat to go faster (HaHaHa) but when the weather got bad so did the driving experience. There were no roll-up windows, and the side curtains didn't fit very well, so whenever it rained I got soaked. And so did the leather upholstery. And when it got cold and I turned on the heater, my right leg got burned while the rest of me froze. And, thankfully, it came from the factory with a set of hand tools. They were necessary because the car broke down every 30 days. That was when I realized exactly what made it a British Sports Car.

You had to be a Jolly Good Sport to put up with all the hassles of driving a 1955 MG TF1500. It was truly a good sports' car! British sports cars have come a long way since then.

It was a good investment - sold it after 3 years for a loss of $100.

Stuart

The following users liked this post:
ralphwg (06-13-2017)