XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Getting an XKR 2010 - Advice

Old 06-04-2017, 10:01 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Getting an XKR 2010 - Advice

Hi,

I am in the process of getting a 5.0 ltr XKR 2010, all being well will be picking it up next week.

One of the things I have seen mentioned is the battery. As this is a second car it may not get run for periods of time.

People have mentioned trickle chargers, but this car will be on a driveway, so I am not in a position to plug it in to a mains. What are peoples thoughts on something like this Solar version?

AA Trickle Charge Solar AA Trickle Charge Solar

Any other advice on jump starters that I could keep in the car would be appreciated.

As mentioned the car will be kept on a driveway. What are peoples thoughts on covers? Do I need to look at getting one.

Very excited about the car. Been after one since I first saw them!

Cheers!

Old 06-04-2017, 03:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,180 Likes on 893 Posts

Your signature does not indicate where you are. I noticed on Amazon that the charger you are considering does not ship to the the U. S. I didn't bother to read the reviews. Suggest you read all of the reviews to see what if any the downsides are. By the way, enjoy your new XKR. They are a real pleasure. Oh, and please post a pic or two. Welcome.

Old 06-05-2017, 10:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,380 Likes on 1,607 Posts

He is in the UK based on the language, we say "mains"

I would not buy that one- it gives less than you will take.

Will post a proper solution after you have told us a bit more about yourself.

Old 06-05-2017, 11:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 631 Likes on 409 Posts

In looking at that maintainer it doesn't state the max output, I imagine they don't give you that since it is dependent on the amount of solar exposure. You would think they would give a max though so you know what will occur on your best day.

I have two maintainers, one is a .75amp which is very low charge charge, I would think most would advise that it would not work. However, every once and a while because of convenience I use it on the Jag and it brings my battery up to full charge overnight.

The other issues with this unit:
  1. It has to be in the car as the solar unit is not waterproof, the battery and charging terminals are in the trunk, you will have to run a line from the cabin to the trunk.
  2. It has a cigarette lighter charge connector, that connection closes so it would not be a usable method of charging.

Old 06-05-2017, 12:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 549 Likes on 380 Posts

"Please note: the charger can only be used while the vehicle is parked and off. It is not waterproof and should not be left outside."

Outside? You mean where the sun is?

The following 3 users liked this post by shemp:
Cee Jay (06-05-2017), Mandrake (06-05-2017), ralphwg (06-07-2017)
Old 06-05-2017, 12:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

Can you drive the car once a week at least? You'll fine on your battery if you do.

Old 06-05-2017, 12:58 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by shemp
"Please note: the charger can only be used while the vehicle is parked and off. It is not waterproof and should not be left outside."

Outside? You mean where the sun is?
I thought the same thing and noted that to the OP, however the pictures show it with the unit inside and in the front windshield of the car. That is why I told him he would need to run the wire from the cockpit to the trunk, which is a pain most likely. If it is a coupe maybe not so bad as you don't have to get by the convertible top area.

Last edited by tampamark; 06-05-2017 at 01:56 PM.
Old 06-05-2017, 01:08 PM
Veteran Member

If he has a coupe like mine- the perfect place is under the rear window, its as if it has a place made for it. Plus it gets far more light than the dash.

Old 06-05-2017, 01:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 549 Likes on 380 Posts

Originally Posted by tampamark
I thought the same thing and noted that to the OP, however the pictures show it with the unit inside and in the front windshield of the car. That is why I told him he wound need to run the wire from the cockpit to the trunk, which is a pain most likely. If it is a coupe maybe not so bad as you don't have to get by the convertible top area.
Ah, now I get it. I'm a little slow sometimes. Ok, maybe more than sometimes.

Old 06-05-2017, 02:25 PM
Received 67 Likes on 50 Posts

Since you asked my thoughts are - buy a 10ft barge pole then don't touch it with it.

"There is built-in discharge protection as well as reverse polarity protection to ensure that the charger will not overcharge your battery." Discharge and reverse polarity protection just means a diode in series with the positive line. It has *nothing* to do with overcharge.

Connect via the EODBC connector? Not on my watch. Correct connection to battery only although they do provide clamps for direct connect. Additionally, anything which prevents a Jag going into deep sleep and achieving it's true very low parasitic current will either just about pay for itself on the power budget (i.e. have no effect) or in cloudy conditions could actually result in a greater than normal discharge.

My 2¢ - see how your driving pattern pans out. With a decent battery in good condition these cars can stand for several weeks then start and run fine. Of course, if you always then do just a three mile run you will end up with a negative power budget. If that is the case find a way to get mains close to the car and run a CTEK maintainer - the only device I trust to look after my Jags.

Old 06-05-2017, 04:51 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jima
Connect via the EODBC connector? Not on my watch. Correct connection to battery only although they do provide clamps for direct connect.
The contents of the package has both the EODBC connector and direct connect clips. I have no idea if attaching to the ODBC is a valid connection point on a Jaguar, if it is then why not, until I know for sure I wouldn't do it either.

Box Contains
1 x Solar Charger Unit
1 x EOBD Connector with 2.8m lead
1 x Direct Battery Connection Clips
4 x Suction Cups
1 x Instruction Leaflet

Old 06-05-2017, 05:59 PM
Veteran Member

The ODB2 connector is to automatically disconnect the unit when the engine is running. The reason is safety of the device.

Any good solar charger will work. However, it will have to be big. And it will have to be manually disconnected every time or a remote switch.

Old 06-06-2017, 04:49 AM

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the replies, yes I am in the UK! Sorry should have mentioned that bit...

I'm hoping to use the car once a week, but there may be times that it sits longer. I do have a jump starter rated up to 6.5ltr engines, so will be keeping that around just in case.

Planning to pick it up next week and will post pictures when I get a chance. It's a silver coupe.

Cheers
Bez

Old 06-06-2017, 08:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Originally Posted by Bezzers
Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the replies, yes I am in the UK! Sorry should have mentioned that bit...

I'm hoping to use the car once a week, but there may be times that it sits longer. I do have a jump starter rated up to 6.5ltr engines, so will be keeping that around just in case.

Planning to pick it up next week and will post pictures when I get a chance. It's a silver coupe.

Cheers
Bez
How far is the nearest electrical outlet. I would just get a 50 ft or 100 ft extension cord and put a smart charger in the boot. The extension is waterproof and should not be a problem in the weather.

Old 06-06-2017, 10:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

Originally Posted by Bezzers

I'd be hesitant to jump start XK you can. The XK should be able to sit two weeks if locked in normal weather. Buy a new battery right away so you know where you stand.

Old 06-06-2017, 12:28 PM

Thanks everyone. I'm probably being paranoid...

I'll see how it goes as I expect I will be using it a lot when I get it! See if I get any obvious issues coming up and if so look at a new battery.

Old 06-13-2017, 01:03 PM

Picked it up today! I'll put some pics up when I get a chance.

Interestingly the car decided on the test run to throw up a couple of electrical issues, so they checked the battery and it was 'low'. Thankfully the dealer was happy to fit a new battery for me there and then at no cost.

Car was running like a dream on the way home, so should be all good now

Old 06-13-2017, 11:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,180 Likes on 893 Posts

Congratulations, glad your dealer is a standup guy. Please post some pics.