XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Buying a 2013 XKRS

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2020, 09:38 AM
Received 112 Likes on 59 Posts

FWIW, when I have set out to purchase a particular used vehicle, like everyone else I strive to find a good deal. However, I have on several occasions paid a couple thousand dollars more for well-sorted and well cared for vehicles over others that I felt were average and could have have gotten cheaper. Thus far I haven't been disappointed in my choices as I've had no additional expenses outside of maintenance for those vehicles since purchasing. Point being, although you want to get the best deal you can, the initial purchase price (within reason) would be less of a concern then the overall condition of the vehicle.

The following 4 users liked this post by Kongo1:
ajc1188 (07-07-2020), GGG (07-07-2020), mosesbotbol (07-07-2020), ralphwg (07-11-2020)
Old 07-07-2020, 09:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,200 Likes on 932 Posts

I'd be little nervous on the same dealership inspecting the car as the one selling the car. Get that car on a lift with a facetime chat. You can get the car up to date on service if there are no receipts and dealer should be able to work out a price to do all the missing services at a discount.

The following 4 users liked this post by mosesbotbol:
bocatrip (07-07-2020), carzaddict (07-11-2020), GGG (07-07-2020), SinF (07-08-2020)
Old 07-07-2020, 10:22 AM
Received 27 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
I'd be little nervous on the same dealership inspecting the car as the one selling the car. Get that car on a lift with a facetime chat. You can get the car up to date on service if there are no receipts and dealer should be able to work out a price to do all the missing services at a discount.
moses,
What do you mean no receipts? As in no record trail of service records? Yes, after the inspection, I will ask them to get it up to date. Hopefully they WILL do it for a discount. As for the price, I will never know if it is a good price. Based on what is out there right now for sale...i would say it is a good price (at least that is what i am telling myself haha). But like Kongo said...if it was maintained well, that is worth the premium. Looking at the carfax, it was regularly maintained. Unfortunately, I am not able to get copies of the actual jaguar maintenance reports.

Old 07-07-2020, 10:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 500 Likes on 365 Posts

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
I happen to totally agree. Conflicting interests! Good luck to you and let us know how you make out.

Old 07-07-2020, 10:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,200 Likes on 932 Posts

Originally Posted by ajc1188
moses,
What do you mean no receipts? As in no record trail of service records? Yes, after the inspection, I will ask them to get it up to date. Hopefully they WILL do it for a discount. As for the price, I will never know if it is a good price. Based on what is out there right now for sale...i would say it is a good price (at least that is what i am telling myself haha). But like Kongo said...if it was maintained well, that is worth the premium. Looking at the carfax, it was regularly maintained. Unfortunately, I am not able to get copies of the actual jaguar maintenance reports.
Yes, no receipt or official Jaguar record of a service performed, assumed it has not been performed. Brake fluid and oil change should be annual and other fluids and filters every other year (basically). If you don't have proof it was done, just do it and know that it is no longer a concern. A visual check is not good enough on service items.

Old 07-07-2020, 10:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 5,195 Likes on 3,112 Posts

I did a search of the VIN and it came up numerous times with the tag "BAD VIN".
I hope everything ends up copacetic.

Old 07-07-2020, 10:55 AM
Received 331 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by GGG
Make sure there's 2 SMARTKEYS and get it in writing that they both work.

The forums are littered with posts from new buyers about replacing missing Smartkeys which is both inconvenient and expensive.

Graham
And verify the emergency keys also work in the driver’s door, boot, and glove box. I found out how expensive they are and, if ordered from a dealer, are cut at the U.K. factory which can take a long while especially with Covid shutdowns.

The following users liked this post:
ajc1188 (07-08-2020)
Old 07-07-2020, 02:01 PM
GGG
Received 16,828 Likes on 12,179 Posts

Originally Posted by Cee Jay
I did a search of the VIN and it came up numerous times with the tag "BAD VIN". .....
That search technique needs some work.

Graham

Old 07-07-2020, 02:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,195 Likes on 3,112 Posts

Originally Posted by GGG
That search technique needs some work. Graham
I used the Google, didn't use Topix as Topix doesn't show what I was looking for. Neither does the VIN Decoder in this forum.. I wanted to see dealers and locations and any other data I could find in those regards. I did NOT expect to see so many "Bad VIN" items to show up. I've done it many, many times in the past and never got those results.

Old 07-08-2020, 03:53 AM

So i checked back with the dealer yesterday afternoon. The salesman said the CPO inspection was completed but the results will not be ready until tomorrow. When i looked at the carfax, it was regularly maintained and I also got another carfax type report from autocheck and everything looks to be okay. One thing I am concerned with is on the carfax, most of the maintenance had stuff both either repaired or replaced. Is that a good thing? I am also wondering why the results could not be provided right away... i may be thinking negatively but maybe they found some stuff during the inspection and trying to get a quick fix to cover it up for when i get another inspection completed after i get it delivered? I told the sales manager that I will be conducting another CPO inspection once i get the vehicle. I had asked him, what will happen if there is a discrepancy between the two reports if they are both going to be completed at a jaguar dealership... he said "I will take the car back since I sold you a car that was misrepresented".

Old 07-08-2020, 06:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 6,193 Likes on 3,406 Posts

Send him an email confirming your conversation, including that ""he said "I will take the car back since I sold you a car that was misrepresented"", and thank him for his honesty. That will help prove your case if you have to sue them to get a full refund.

Also, include this in your email: "This email is incorporated by reference into of our final agreement of sale and takes precedent, notwithstanding anything to the contrary." That should protect you if their contract includes a provision to the effect that it is the entire agreement notwithstanding any other documents or statements made by a salesperson.

The following 2 users liked this post by Stuart S:
ajc1188 (07-08-2020), SinF (07-08-2020)
Old 07-08-2020, 06:49 AM
Veteran Member

More questions ...

When does title pass, who has the risk of loss in transit, and how are you protected?

The seller wants title to pass when the car leaves his possession and you want it when you accept delivery after inspecting the car for any damage in transit. What does the contract say and is it negotiable or part of the dealer's terms of sale?

What insurance, if any, covers the car before you accept delivery and who is the beneficiary? How are you protected? Do you need to obtain a Certificate of Insurance that names you as an additional insured third party? Can your current auto insurance agent help?

Old 07-08-2020, 07:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

First, your priority in any transaction must be to protect your own interest. Second, you need to act in good faith and assume in the absence of evidence to the contrary that others are acting in good faith.

I think letting them know that you will do another inspection as the car arrives is an excellent way to keep selling dealer honest. If they try to cover something up, not only they are misrepresenting the car, but they are also negligent in carrying out the inspection work. This makes it exponentially more risky for them to cover it up.

Old 07-08-2020, 07:15 AM
Veteran Member

A related anecdote. A while ago I purchased a winter beater car that someone traded in to my local Jaguar dealer. I asked them to do inspection and report it back to me as a precondition of sale. It came all clear and I purchased the car. I drove it directly to my independent mechanic, who completed thorough inspection and found a lengthy list of issues, mostly worn suspension parts, some of which could be tied to a mandatory safety inspection.

I got into my F-type, drove to the dealer with the inspection report and went directly to the service manager, that knew me well by virtue of doing all that warranty work on my Jag. I showed him indy's report, showed him their pre-sale report and agreement and asked him what he is going to do to make it up to me. He profusely apologized, told me they didn't know this car is being sold to me and promised to take care of all of it. Which they did. It was thousands in parts and labor invoiced to me at 0$. At the end they made no money selling that car to me.

Old 07-08-2020, 08:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 282 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by SinF
A related anecdote. A while ago I purchased a winter beater car that someone traded in to my local Jaguar dealer. I asked them to do inspection and report it back to me as a precondition of sale. It came all clear and I purchased the car. I drove it directly to my independent mechanic, who completed thorough inspection and found a lengthy list of issues, mostly worn suspension parts, some of which could be tied to a mandatory safety inspection.

I got into my F-type, drove to the dealer with the inspection report and went directly to the service manager, that knew me well by virtue of doing all that warranty work on my Jag. I showed him indy's report, showed him their pre-sale report and agreement and asked him what he is going to do to make it up to me. He profusely apologized, told me they didn't know this car is being sold to me and promised to take care of all of it. Which they did. It was thousands in parts and labor invoiced to me at 0$. At the end they made no money selling that car to me.

A dishonest Used-Car Salesman??? "Who woulda thunk it possible!"

The following 3 users liked this post by JagRag:
barnsie (07-08-2020), carzaddict (07-11-2020), SinF (07-08-2020)
Old 07-08-2020, 08:39 AM
Veteran Member

SinF,

But they kept you as a customer and will profit from your business in the future.

Your experience with your trusted Jaguar dealer is a good example why you were mistaken when you said that you should "...assume in the absence of evidence to the contrary that others are acting in good faith." That principle is honorable, but remember that there is no honor among thieves.

Used car dealers have earned a reputation for being motivated by self-interest and greed. They lack integrity and disregard accepted standards in order to achieve their goals. In my opinion, that makes them not trustworthy and incapable of acting in good faith. Assume the worst and hope for the best. And get it in writing to protect yourself.

Stuart

barnsie (07-08-2020)
Old 07-08-2020, 08:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 632 Likes on 409 Posts

Originally Posted by ajc1188
. he said "I will take the car back since I sold you a car that was misrepresented".
I would definitely get that statement in writing!!! I had fair dealings with Jaguar of Tampa but regardless I have NO trust, you never know when a unscrupulous employee could screw you over for his own benefit. Sinf had a nice story but that has zero application to you with a different dealer that operates and is owned independently. Lawsuits are well and good but can be protracted.

The CPO gives you peace of mind in that the worst mechanical issues would be covered. There is a healthy exclusion list though, maybe you know this already, but fit and finish items, paint, body work, and many wear items are not covered. I really liked having my CPO and had no issues, had a couple of items covered and one that wasn't (lower hose, I knew it and did not have a problem).

ajc1188 (07-08-2020)
Old 07-08-2020, 09:23 AM

I got the CPO inspection attached, please take a look and provide feedback! Still waiting on the photos. I asked for the facetime when the car is on the lift but they said techs dont want to be bothered. I then requested that I want photos of underneath the car while it is on a lift and he said that " if he has time i will get it done and if there is a free bay that is open". All this seems very shady to me. I also started to draft a letter for the dealership to sign. Thank you for that advice. See draft below.

Hello Victor and Patrick,
Thank you very much for helping me and working with me on the sale of the white jaguar XKRS. Before I commit to the sale, I would like Patrick and Victor to confirm and agree to what was discussed on the phone.
  1. Jaguar of Tampa has conducted a Certified Pre-owned Inspection on the 2013 White XKRS, which is the basis of the sale, VIN SAJWA4HAXDMB49613
  2. The sale is contingent on my acceptance of the Jaguar of Tampa Certified Pre-Owned Inspection.
  3. I, Andrew , will conduct a separate Certified Pre-owned Inspection from a Jaguar Dealership near me. The results shall be the same based on the type of Certified Pre-Owned Inspection that Jaguar conducts. If the reports do not match or have discrepancies, Jaguar of Tampa will either take back the car pay for all costs associated with return to the original location at Jaguar of Tampa and refund the entire dollar amount in the transaction of the sale or Jaguar of Tampa will pay 100% of the costs to repair the discrepancies of the two reports. This is based off of the conversation I had with PAtrick.
  4. The registration and tags will be conducted on my behalf by Jaguar of Tampa and I, Andrew, do not have to go back to illinois for further registration.

Still need to finish it up. Not sure if I need to add more detail or just simply outline what i had in question and over the phone

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
CPO INSPECTION 2013 XK R-S.pdf (201.0 KB, 59 views)
Old 07-08-2020, 09:34 AM

so after looking over the inspection... seems to have a few items that do not have any check marks
1. rear reversing camera
2. engine and transmission mounts
3. Brake fluid, wheel specification, tire specification and tire condition
4. Wheel nuts, differential fluid level
5. Universal joints/CV joints/CV boots

another concern was i had specific items that I wanted addressed and there were ZERO comments on the inspection.

Old 07-08-2020, 09:48 AM
Veteran Member

Report notes that second key is missing.

To get dealership cooperating, clearly show to them that you are not a tire kicker. Show them that you have cash/bank approvals. If they still not taking your requests seriously, then they are hiding something.

Quick Reply: Buying a 2013 XKRS