Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Buzzing From Gauge Cluster

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2017, 12:51 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Buzzing From Gauge Cluster

Hi, All.

I turned my XK on this morning and now I'm hearing a weird buzzing sound from the Gauge Cluster. Initially, I thought it was coming from the speakers but when I adjust the volume up or down it does not change the intensity of the sound. It's not too annoying, but I defiantly need to see what's going on. It sounds like one of those old school lights you'd have in a school gym that made a buzzing sound when they were on.

Anyone know where to start?

Thanks,
Joey

Old 10-13-2017, 01:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,131 Likes on 1,305 Posts

This noise is almost certainly from the climate control aspirator fan located behind the small grille to the right of the steering column. Cleaning the small fan blades sometimes reduces the noise, or the fan can be replaced. The fan comes into operation as soon as the driver's door is opened and remains in operation for about 15 minutes after the engine is shut off. Perfectly normal. If the noise is not excessive you may ignore it with impunity.

The following 3 users liked this post by sov211:
chazaroo (10-14-2017), malx (10-13-2017), NBCat (10-13-2017)
Old 10-13-2017, 03:15 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sov211
This noise is almost certainly from the climate control aspirator fan located behind the small grille to the right of the steering column. Cleaning the small fan blades sometimes reduces the noise, or the fan can be replaced. The fan comes into operation as soon as the driver's door is opened and remains in operation for about 15 minutes after the engine is shut off. Perfectly normal. If the noise is not excessive you may ignore it with impunity.
I'll start looking there thanks!!

Old 10-13-2017, 04:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 969 Likes on 654 Posts

Yes, to troubleshoot, open the door and sit in the car. Close the door and you should hear the fan run. More of a burble vs buzz.

One interesting thing I noticed the other morning while waiting for my kid to escape work was once shut inside the hazard triangle lights up. If you hit the radio power knob in the HVAC panel the radio will power up with the HVAC stuff blanked out. Nice to listen to some tunes without the full convenience mode thing going on.

The following users liked this post:
old_dawg (10-15-2017)
Old 10-14-2017, 08:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 119 Likes on 86 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by sov211
--I've had this issue since buying my XKR in July. Thanks for the diagnosis!