XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

canavie XKR 2012

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2020, 06:44 PM
Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts

OMG that looks super cheesy. Might as well strap an iPad to the dash.

The following users liked this post:
JagRag (10-14-2020)
Old 10-13-2020, 08:50 PM
DGL
Veteran Member
Received 928 Likes on 607 Posts

Originally Posted by StiggyMac
I think it looks great. It updates the car 7 years.

The following 2 users liked this post by DGL:
peterv8 (10-13-2020), ralphwg (10-13-2020)
Old 10-13-2020, 09:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,201 Likes on 3,113 Posts

Originally Posted by DGL
I think it looks great. It updates the car 7 years.
I'm torn between these two statements........... I prefer the classic looks of OEM but also would rather have an updated system. That's the only aged thing on our cars, that archaic infotainment system.

The following 2 users liked this post by Cee Jay:
kj07xk (10-13-2020), ralphwg (10-13-2020)
Old 10-14-2020, 06:55 AM
Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts

As a tech geek, I would love to have Apple CarPlay in my 2012 but it's probably not going to happen since as far as I'm aware the Cambo kit doesn't work on the later XKs.
The large tablet form factor just doesn't fit the design of the XK cabin. A smaller screen retaining the physical controls would have been my preference.

The following 2 users liked this post by StiggyMac:
Stuart S (10-14-2020), TexasTraveler (10-14-2020)
Old 10-14-2020, 10:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 671 Likes on 334 Posts

The large tablet form factor just doesn't fit the design of the XK cabin. A smaller screen retaining the physical controls would have been my preference.
Couldn't agree more... With that said if this unit proves to really work, I would probably buy one...

Old 10-14-2020, 10:53 AM
Veteran Member

..............................The large tablet form factor just doesn't fit the design of the XK cabin. A smaller screen retaining the physical controls would have been my preference.
Originally Posted by TexasTraveler
Couldn't agree more... With that said if this unit proves to really work, I would probably buy one...
Agreed, but since the screen section is designed to work with multiple vehicles, the maker couldn't incorporate physical controls since they would all be different.
I prefer physical controls for a lot of things myself, like climate and stereo and things like that.

Stuart S (10-14-2020)
Old 10-14-2020, 12:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,190 Likes on 2,348 Posts

Originally Posted by Cee Jay
Agreed, but since the screen section is designed to work with multiple vehicles, the maker couldn't incorporate physical controls since they would all be different.
I prefer physical controls for a lot of things myself, like climate and stereo and things like that.
That's important too. Buttons and knobs are quickly saved to memory so you can use them without glancing down. You just reach and know where everything it.

Cee Jay (10-14-2020)
Old 10-15-2020, 11:39 AM
Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

I just ordered one. I will send details as soon as i get the device in my hands.

The following 5 users liked this post by Privilegedjaguar:
DGL (10-15-2020), dvdpsycho (10-20-2020), peterv8 (10-17-2020), ralphwg (10-15-2020), Sean W (10-15-2020)
Old 10-27-2020, 07:28 AM
Received 375 Likes on 248 Posts

Has it arrived yet? Has it, has it?
Not curious at all!
Would like to hear second opinion, if you are as happy as Luke I'll order on!

DGL (10-27-2020)
Old 10-30-2020, 04:28 PM
DGL
Veteran Member

Update, Privilegedjaguar?

Old 10-31-2020, 06:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,192 Likes on 902 Posts

Glen - The issue for us 5.0L owners is, has the unit been designed to work seamlessly with our cars? To date, despite all of my correspondence with the supplier I have not gotten an answer to my inquiries that make any sense. The only thing I can arrive at is that they had a pre 5.0 XK to work with and that is what they built their unit for. I have suggested to them that they should attempt to get a 5.0 vehicle and engineer a unit to work with our cars. No response as yet. I will try again and let you know what happens.

Old 10-31-2020, 07:55 PM
DGL
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ralphwg
Glen - The issue for us 5.0L owners is, has the unit been designed to work seamlessly with our cars? To date, despite all of my correspondence with the supplier I have not gotten an answer to my inquiries that make any sense. The only thing I can arrive at is that they had a pre 5.0 XK to work with and that is what they built their unit for. I have suggested to them that they should attempt to get a 5.0 vehicle and engineer a unit to work with our cars. No response as yet. I will try again and let you know what happens.

I understand completely, Ralph. I'm just confirming the integrity of the product, the integrity of members reporting on it, and the integrity of the manufacture in China. I've been in contact with a supplier on AliExpress. Generally, Chinese businesses are difficult to get straight answers from and they don't support their products they sell to North America. When a problem is exposed they play stupid. Although, this product has potential it needs to be supported and further developed for the 5L x150.

ralphwg (11-01-2020)
Old 10-31-2020, 08:08 PM
Veteran Member

Someone needs to break the codes and make a bunch of improvements for this thing.

Old 11-01-2020, 05:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,192 Likes on 902 Posts

Glen and Cee Jay - you are both right on. Here is some of the correspondence I had with them:

you have bought one or your friends bought it?

thanks all the same

Best Regards

Andy

-----------------

Shenzhen Canavie Technology Co., Ltd.

Tel: 86-755-82665022

E-mail: canaviesales@gmail.com

Site: http://www.canaviet.com

On Sun, Nov 1, 2020 at 8:28 AM <ralphwg@mindspring.com> wrote:

The issue is not the fit but the functions. In order for the unit to be attractive to me and other owners of the 5.0L XKs all of the functions need to work. For instance hooking up with the standard built-in back up camera, working with the satellite radio unit already mounted in the car and working with the seat cooling units mounted in the car. People such as myself don’t want to give up these functions and, I for one will not put in a unit that will not work with the functions already present and working with my car utilizing the stock systems that came with it. Why? For me and others that would constitute a step backwards, not forwards. Thank you for all of your responses to my inquiries.

Sent: Saturday, October 31, 2020 5:09 PM
To:
Subject: Re: Jaguar XKR 2013 Convertible

Hi Ralph:

Thanks for your kind suggestions,

We have installed it with XKRs over 2012.

It fits it well.

So I don't think we will go to modify it

Thanks anyway

thanks again

Best Regards

Andy

-----------------

On Sun, Nov 1, 2020 at 8:03 AM <

Further to my earlier inquiries. I have a suggestion for you. If you can find a 2012 or later Jaguar XK or XKR; you will then have a vehicle with all of the modifications to the infotainment system. Then you will be able to modify your unit so that it will work with all of the XKs built from U. S. Model year 2010 on. Please advise as to whether you are going to attempt this and then, if you are, advise as to what progress you are making. Thank you.

Sent: Tuesday, October 13, 2020 7:40 PM
To:
Subject: Re: Jaguar XKR 2013 Convertible

Hi Ralph:

Thanks for your inquiry

1. SiriusXM satellite -- not yet.

If you have external one with app, I think this android unit will support it.

2. We are not sure if it supports factory rear view camera.

Here we installed it with XK cars without factory rear view camera

3. It support front camera.

We have the front camera with app.

Here is its link:

https://www.canavie.com/front-usb-dv...-p1075142.html

Thank you.

Best Regards

Andy

-----------------

On Wed, Oct 14, 2020 at wrote:

Further to our discussion regarding your unit. Are you going to be updating it to interact with the SiriusXM satellite receiver built into my car? If so, when? And secondly my car has a built in back up camera will your unit show the pictures taken by the built in Jaguar supplied backup camera? Further will it support a forward camera as well and how would that work? Thank you for your response.

The result of all of the above for me is that until I hear of a successful install in a 5.0L XK or that the specs match up I am done with this. If anybody has success in getting all of the functions that I am interested in working in a 5.0L car then I will spend more time on it, but not until then.

Old 11-02-2020, 12:16 AM
Veteran Member

*sigh*
Of course, language does seem to be a bit of a limitation to successful dialogue.

Old 11-02-2020, 08:11 AM
Received 300 Likes on 147 Posts

I don’t think that these sellers have anything to do with product development. All of the info at this site and AliExpress look the same. They are selling it and it’s a drop ship situation. All the conversation they had with Ralphwg is bs IMHO.

Stuart S (11-02-2020)
Old 11-02-2020, 08:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 6,197 Likes on 3,408 Posts

Let's suppose that you bought one based on that vendor's email confirmation that everything would work. It arrived six weeks later and two weeks later you paid $500 to have it professionally installed, only to find out that the backup camera and other features didn't work. What then? You have no recourse other than to hope that the vendor in China is honest, which he has already shown that he is not. Good luck with trying to get your credit card company to refund your money after more than 60 days. And, to add insult to injury, you have to pay again to have it removed and your OEM touchscreen reinstalled. And what if some functions were damaged by that Chinese Junk and you have to replace modules to make them work again?

My point is that this product has more risks than dogs have fleas, and I wouldn't touch it with your ten-foot pole! Let someone else be the guinea pig - and remember that pigs get slaughtered!

Old 11-02-2020, 09:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,292 Likes on 1,440 Posts

We could find someone fluent in Mandarin or Cantonese? I would say you are on your own for support but it appears to be a straightforward install. I don't know anyone, except on these forums, who uses Sirius/XM radio anymore and with the Carplay & Android there really is no need for separate satellite radio integration since there are apps that actually do a better job. From what I have seen, I do not see cooled seats as an option but perhaps it is there somewhere. Based on the videos though it appears this was developed with a 2007 which had neither cooled seats nor reverse camera. Now it IS perhaps possible for the OE fitted camera to work as it is simply a composite video signal with a FAKRA termination. I would reckon however LIN bus integration (guide lines synced to steering input) would be lost. Beyond this I see no other issues with install. But if the unit fails in a year or at any point, don't expect much if any support...that's my biggest fear.

As for credit card disputes all of mine offer 120 to file a claim HOWEVER they have become increasingly less inclined to get involved with product disputes and refer back to the terms of the seller. Ten plus years ago a phone call would pretty much guarantee a refund but now I have found they really only offer support in unauthorized transactions.

Old 11-02-2020, 08:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,197 Likes on 3,408 Posts

Originally Posted by jahummer
... As for credit card disputes all of mine offer 120 to file a claim HOWEVER they have become increasingly less inclined to get involved with product disputes and refer back to the terms of the seller. Ten plus years ago a phone call would pretty much guarantee a refund but now I have found they really only offer support in unauthorized transactions.
Federal law provides uniform, standardized credit card chargeback rules for transactions in the USA. That law does not apply outside of the USA.

Buying anything expensive directly from a vendor in China is risky business. Some Chinese platforms (AliPay and others) claim to provide protections to buyers outside China.

jahummer (11-02-2020)
Old 11-03-2020, 05:46 PM
DGL
Veteran Member

Dealing with these vendors selling a manufactured unit from an anonymous factory, I assume from one factory, shield the manufacture from being honest. Once the vendor has your money your on your own. The developer or manufacture should be disclosed with what support and warranty is available. Will purchasers get software updates etc? If the manufacturer can develop this unit and sell it in the North American market they need to make themselves visible and accessible. Why don't they have an accessible website? How large is the manufacture? I don't want to put their junk unsupported unit in my car. Until I get more information I'm out.

ralphwg (11-04-2020)

Quick Reply: canavie XKR 2012