XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

This car has been a piece of s*** since day one

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2019, 11:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 490 Likes on 358 Posts

Ralphwg......Surprised that your warranty co was willing to replace “all” plastic cooling system pieces. That is a lot of parts!

Last edited by bocatrip; 06-16-2019 at 11:12 AM.
Old 06-17-2019, 10:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,183 Likes on 895 Posts

I'm getting the car back tomorrow. From what the service "advisor" said I will have to pay for one tube at $55.00 I weill report back when I get the car and invoice.

Old 06-18-2019, 06:10 AM
Received 177 Likes on 101 Posts

most of those problems are common, the fact that it all happened at once is terrible bad luck, but
most of those are not that bad excluding the differential..

Old 06-18-2019, 11:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 490 Likes on 358 Posts

Originally Posted by ralphwg
I'm getting the car back tomorrow. From what the service "advisor" said I will have to pay for one tube at $55.00 I weill report back when I get the car and invoice.
There happens to be a load of plastic parts as the entire cooling system is made of plastic. Replacing all the plastic parts seems to be unrealistic and prohibitively expensive. Good luck and let us know how you make out.

Old 06-18-2019, 12:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,380 Likes on 1,607 Posts

Originally Posted by bocatrip
There happens to be a load of plastic parts as the entire cooling system is made of plastic. Replacing all the plastic parts seems to be unrealistic and prohibitively expensive. Good luck and let us know how you make out.
One upshot of global warming is that hot weather durability testing of plastics will now be possible in UK.

Old 06-18-2019, 12:12 PM
Received 48 Likes on 16 Posts

Pass the strawberry lube.

The Indi just called and they want 2185 to do the water pump, thermostat, housing, hoses, belt on my 2007. Car isn't even overheating, just fan running after shutdown. I asked them to reconsider what the minimum necessary is, for f's sake. They also quoted 285 more to polish the headlights. I'd want more than just my headlights polished for all that dough!

What is a reasonable price for that work?

The following users liked this post:
sparky fuze (06-18-2019)
Old 06-18-2019, 12:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,380 Likes on 1,607 Posts

$1200
You can do the headlight yourself. Its fun and easy. I cant believe a mechanic would want to fart around with that. You should see if the hem trousers too while you are there. I bet they do.

Dont change something unless it fails. Keep in mind, the part and the work you will be getting will be worse than the one you are taking off.

Old 06-18-2019, 12:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 549 Likes on 380 Posts

Agree with Q&C. Don't let them change anything. You need a proper diagnosis as to why the fan is running after shutdown not a cooling system overhaul just because. Do you have anywhere else you can take it? A Dealar maybe?

Old 06-18-2019, 01:05 PM

Dealer is an option, but one that I thought would cost me more. I tried calling the dealer for a guestimate but got shuffled around and eventually voicemail, so I hung up.

These guys want 1208 for labor and 977 for parts. I told them I thought both numbers were too high and asked them for a better assessment. Will see what they come back with.

(Don't mean to be jacking the Rev. Sam's thread but this is a similar topic)

Old 06-18-2019, 01:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,145 Likes on 3,385 Posts

Originally Posted by stxscott
Pass the strawberry lube.

The Indi just called and they want 2185 to do the water pump, thermostat, housing, hoses, belt on my 2007. Car isn't even overheating, just fan running after shutdown. I asked them to reconsider what the minimum necessary is, for f's sake. They also quoted 285 more to polish the headlights. I'd want more than just my headlights polished for all that dough!

What is a reasonable price for that work?
You won't get a reasonable price from that Indie because there's only 1 tool in his toolbox - a screwdriver.

Old 06-18-2019, 01:32 PM
Veteran Member

Dealer is an option, but one that I thought would cost me more. I tried calling the dealer for a guestimate but got shuffled around and eventually voicemail, so I hung up.

These guys want 1208 for labor and 977 for parts. I told them I thought both numbers were too high and asked them for a better assessment. Will see what they come back with.

Go to the dealer and ask why the fan is running on. Don't mention the other shop's quote. You need an unbiased diagnosis.

And yeah you should probably make a new thread so it shows up in a header search for fan run on.

Queen and Country (06-18-2019)
Old 06-18-2019, 04:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 969 Likes on 654 Posts

What parts? Do you have a list? The cooling parts on N/A cars aren't that difficult to do. I did 90% of them on my old Lincoln LS. I will say the plastic T stat housing a really bad design and I'd venture a broken tab on that part is keeping the T stat from opening which is causing the overheat. The design requires the plastic tabs to hold the T stat spring pressure. Did I mention the design sucks...

Old 06-19-2019, 06:50 AM

Unfortunately I'm not where the car lives so I can't do my own work (like I do on all my other vehicles). Otherwise there's little doubt I'd tackle it myself.

The tech's did further testing and have stated that the temps are within range so there is no immediate need to do any work at all. Yes the fan will run for a little bit after shutdown if the engine is warm, but they say this is normal and the vehicle shows no signs of overheating.

I'll monitor it myself when I'm driving it again in August, but for now I've only shelled out for the 1hr diagnostics and that's reasonable.

Old 06-19-2019, 08:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 915 Likes on 560 Posts

Honestly after a decade, I just shotgun cooling hoses and pipes. Especially on BMWs where the cooling systems are filled with plastic trash. This summer I am doing my 07 XKR. $2200 seems really high for what I'd just set a leisurely weekend to do; having done this exact thing on my older X100 and X308 SC cars (I can on and off a SC in about 3-3.5 hours total now lol).

If you are paying a shop you may need to be more selective in what needs replacement, with definitely a focus on the low hanging fruit and maybe not doing the valley hose type stuff.

stxscott (06-19-2019)
Old 06-19-2019, 08:31 AM
Veteran Member

The tech's did further testing and have stated that the temps are within range so there is no immediate need to do any work at all. Yes the fan will run for a little bit after shutdown if the engine is warm, but they say this is normal and the vehicle shows no signs of overheating.

I'll monitor it myself when I'm driving it again in August, but for now I've only shelled out for the 1hr diagnostics and that's reasonable.
So this went from replacing half of the coolant system for $2185 to everything is normal???? You need to find another shop LOL.

Old 06-19-2019, 08:37 AM
Received 695 Likes on 349 Posts

Originally Posted by shemp
Go to the dealer and ask why the fan is running on. Don't mention the other shop's quote. You need an unbiased diagnosis.

And yeah you should probably make a new thread so it shows up in a header search for fan run on.
Agreed. If it's not overheating and the fan is staying on then you are draining your battery which leads to other problems. Get that looked at first.

My X-type's fan would not shut off at all towards the end of my ownership, I had to physically disconnect the harness to keep it from draining the battery. Then it wouldn't turn on at all! And I ended up having to change the water pump after it overheated, then the fan module to get the fan working again.

Old 06-19-2019, 08:53 AM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

unfortunately i'm not where the car lives so i can't do my own work (like i do on all my other vehicles). Otherwise there's little doubt i'd tackle it myself.

I'll monitor it myself when i'm driving it again in august, but for now i've only shelled out for the 1hr diagnostics and that's reasonable.
this is many times normal and not only engine temp related but ac head pressure as well. The ecu based on engine temps and ac pressures can and will run the fan for usually no more than a minute. Sometimes a bit longer after shutdown to reduce heat soak and drop ac pressures which can shoot up with heat soak and no air flow through the condensor. We get a few of these complaints every year going into summer

The following 4 users liked this post by Brutal:
Queen and Country (06-19-2019), shemp (06-19-2019), sparky fuze (06-19-2019), stxscott (06-19-2019)
Old 06-19-2019, 08:54 AM

It was my suggestion to swap out the cooling components (thermostat/housing) and while there do the pump, based on the age of the vehicle and symptoms, so I requested the price to do that. The shop estimated it based on 'book time'.

I still think there is likely a small issue with some busted plastic in the housing causing it to run warmer than it probably should, but it is not outside of spec. I'll know more in August when I'm driving it again and can monitor with a scan tool.

Now I better understand that the fan is designed to run after shutoff until the sensor reaches a certain temp range. This should only be a short time and should not impact the battery. If you think about how a cooling system functions, to have the fan continue to run after the immediate stop of flow, when engine is shut off, is probably good design. Plastic parts that deteriorate over time are not good design - but a bonus for repair shops

shemp (06-19-2019)
Old 06-19-2019, 04:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,896 Likes on 1,286 Posts

It was my suggestion to swap out the cooling components (thermostat/housing) and while there do the pump, based on the age of the vehicle and symptoms, so I requested the price to do that. The shop estimated it based on 'book time'.

I still think there is likely a small issue with some busted plastic in the housing causing it to run warmer than it probably should, but it is not outside of spec. I'll know more in August when I'm driving it again and can monitor with a scan tool.

Now I better understand that the fan is designed to run after shutoff until the sensor reaches a certain temp range. This should only be a short time and should not impact the battery. If you think about how a cooling system functions, to have the fan continue to run after the immediate stop of flow, when engine is shut off, is probably good design. Plastic parts that deteriorate over time are not good design - but a bonus for repair shops
If you want to know the coolant system hose parts and part prices, for the 4.2L NA engine, see this thread by Patrick Wong:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ervice-186165/

I purchased most of the parts on his list (minus the water pump), and added the coolant reservoir, for about $600 (including shipping). Not sure if he included the thermostat and housing in his list, but I'd replaced mine earlier for about $135.

Old 11-01-2021, 08:35 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 80sRule
Exactly. I was recovering from some quite a bit of surgery and the starter on my A8 crapped out; Two indy shops wanted MORE THAN THE DEALER. I ended up going with a shop renowned for vintage Porsches that said bring the part and we'll do it for $500. They did a great job, and the overall outlay was half anywhere else. Starter was $150.

When I do side automotive work, I don't mark up the parts, but I do not warranty them either. If it's a bad job on the labor, absolutely, if I damage it on install, I buy a new part of equivalent quality or better and eat the cost. When I provide the parts for the job, I charge $50 an hour for the service; so me shopping around, providing the best priced good/better/best parts options and presenting it to the customer has usually been absolutely worth it for them. I get discounts at a lot of parts houses better than they can get, and with the parts research labor job, I often end up saving them double or triple the difference in lower parts costs; and if a part fails, I will submit the warranty and not charge them for the part the next go around. I only charge since time ain't free.

Don't pay crazy markup. Go elsewhere.
I love this old post and would love to find a knowledgeable guy like you in my area! Keep up the good work!

Quick Reply: This car has been a piece of s*** since day one