Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

car wash question

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2017, 11:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 788 Posts

Originally Posted by jagtoes
I assume the key is the deionizer which all don't have or won't work with their water. For those out there with well water with high mineral content and salt water conditioning system it's not practical. Even going to the self service bay and just spraying with spot free spray works pretty good.
Duragloss 901....look it up on Amazon.

Old 01-20-2017, 11:21 PM
Veteran Member

The other option is to take it to a detailer and pay the freight , maybe $500 for a fairly good job.
You can't get a hand strip wash, clay bar or polymer contaminant surface removal, prep polish, and ceramic paint coating for $500. There is just no way.

Old 01-20-2017, 11:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 631 Likes on 409 Posts

I assume the key is the deionizer which all don't have or won't work with their water. For those out there with well water with high mineral content and salt water conditioning system it's not practical. Even going to the self service bay and just spraying with spot free spray works pretty good.
Forget all that deionizer systems, or filters, etc. The problem is trying to wash the entire car and then go back and dry the entire car.

I have city water that is fairly hard and leaves horrendous spots, especially in the Florida heat. The key is to wash in sections. I wash the rear deck, quarter panels, and back. Then rinse, afterwards use an Absorber to remove the bulk of the water. Last, I dry and buff the entire section with my medium size microfiber towel. Don't necessarily need the Absorber if you have plenty of drying towels.

Then I wash and dry the front clip the same way. Third and Fourth are the doors using reduced spray so that I don't wet the areas already cleaned and dried. If I end up with some overspray of water I just give it a buff with the microfiber.

During all of this I keep my Adam's Detailer spray handy, if I do have an area that dries quicker than I get to it and end up with spots I spritz, buff, and voila it is clean of mineral deposit.

Old 01-21-2017, 12:45 AM
GGG
Received 16,799 Likes on 12,168 Posts

Originally Posted by ghallett
I just purchased a low mileage '08 XK. Curious to get some feedback on whether or not to run it through an automatic car wash.
22 Replies so far and a lot of advice.

Nobody notice the OP posted the question at 10:57 on Jan 17th 2017, didn't wait for an answer and hasn't been back since?

Graham

The following users liked this post:
Sean W (01-21-2017)
Old 01-21-2017, 07:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Originally Posted by richzak
You can't get a hand strip wash, clay bar or polymer contaminant surface removal, prep polish, and ceramic paint coating for $500. There is just no way.
OK the ceramic coating wasn't included in that price . It was just the other work that was done including swirl removal and convertible top finishing. It also included Lexol clean and condition and vacuum and windows. Total cost me $550. Only did it once.

Old 01-21-2017, 08:53 AM
Veteran Member

OK the ceramic coating wasn't included in that price . It was just the other work that was done including swirl removal and convertible top finishing. It also included Lexol clean and condition and vacuum and windows. Total cost me $550. Only did it once.
You could have saved $500 by doing this work yourself. However, if you have deep pockets and no time on your hands, or just don't want to DIY, then any price you paid is ok.

I am sure the XKR turned out great, but would not be fully paint protected.

As for the top, there have been numerous threads about convertible top care and protection. A bottle of 303 Aerospace Fabric Guard will cost $16.00 and it will take about 1 hr as a DIY project to keep the convertible top in remarkable condition.

Old 01-21-2017, 09:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,166 Likes on 2,335 Posts

Originally Posted by GGG

Nobody notice the OP posted the question at 10:57 on Jan 17th 2017, didn't wait for an answer and hasn't been back since?

Graham
hehe I noticed that too. But truth be told, I didn't care for my cars finish in any particular manner before my wife's first MB. Then I started paying attention. When I bought my SV8 and joined this forum, I was astounded at the detailed level of care many put into the finish (no pun intended), and even more so now that I'm on the X150 forum.

If the OP is anything like me, he's reading the replies and researching.

Old 01-21-2017, 11:00 AM
Veteran Member

You could have saved $500 by doing this work yourself. However, if you have deep pockets and no time on your hands, or just don't want to DIY, then any price you paid is ok.

I am sure the XKR turned out great, but would not be fully paint protected.

As for the top, there have been numerous threads about convertible top care and protection. A bottle of 303 Aerospace Fabric Guard will cost $16.00 and it will take about 1 hr as a DIY project to keep the convertible top in remarkable condition.

Rich it's just a matter of priorities. It's just a nice car that we are enjoying and considering it will most likely be our last fun cruiser I do not plan on saving it for others. So I'll drive it when I can and enjoy it in that fashion. A once a year detailing is not a big deal as after hitting 70 the goal is to spend what we saved and enjoy it on our fun things. We had started to make the switch from savings to spending. I'd rather spend a few hours on the driving range or at indoor golf then wash and wax a car. We all have our passions and yours are different then mine. Enjoy

The following 2 users liked this post by jagtoes:
Cee Jay (01-21-2017), ralphwg (01-21-2017)
Old 01-21-2017, 11:42 AM
Received 231 Likes on 105 Posts

If you're wary of going through an automated car wash, one option that's great during the warmer months is the fundraiser car washes that local high school clubs do. You get a nice hand wash & dry for whatever you're willing to donate, and if you have a "cool" car, the kids will usually give it a little extra TLC. Win win all around, and there's seemingly a couple going on every week around where I am.

richzak (01-21-2017)
Old 01-21-2017, 12:20 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by GGG

Graham
Happens all the time, if we stopped weighing in on topics because the OP bailed this board would have little activity!!!

So we continue to discuss regardless of whether the OP cares, because we all care too much.

Old 01-21-2017, 02:14 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Simon Tan
If you're wary of going through an automated car wash, one option that's great during the warmer months is the fundraiser car washes that local high school clubs do. You get a nice hand wash & dry for whatever you're willing to donate, and if you have a "cool" car, the kids will usually give it a little extra TLC. Win win all around, and there's seemingly a couple going on every week around where I am.
Yes, help support our youth. They are the future of America.

Old 01-21-2017, 03:44 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Simon Tan
Well, I like to support them, I would rather donate $5 and not have them wash my car. No offense to the kids, but the thought of re-used rags that may or may not have fallen on the ground at some point rubbing on my paint does not appeal to me!!!

I use the one bucket wash method whereby you have 10 quality, small 300g microfiber cloths that are used on one panel of the car only. I use the cloth, folding for fresh surface while cleaning an area, then discard. The re-use of a wash towel is sacrilege!

The two bucket method is now old school, instead of rinsing in a second bucket don't rinse the cloth at all, toss in the pile and grab a fresh cloth. Hence one bucket. I guarantee the car wash kids don't use any of these methods or clean wash rags.

I agree, they are the future, but they are not in my car wash future. Gotta go, ordering some girl scout cookies from my buddies daughter.

richzak (01-21-2017)
Old 01-21-2017, 06:06 PM
Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts

For the 'don't have' contingent as opposed to the hard water folks I have this thought: We spend $30-100K on a Jaguar, and are often willing to spend multiple thousands on upgrades, but won't spend $400 on a deionizer? A deionizer seems like a luxury until the first time you wash your dark colored car in the sun and don't get water spots and don't have to spend 20 minutes hand drying! That's my opinion anyway.

Old 01-21-2017, 06:52 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by j.w.s
For the 'don't have' contingent as opposed to the hard water folks I have this thought: We spend $30-100K on a Jaguar, and are often willing to spend multiple thousands on upgrades, but won't spend $400 on a deionizer? A deionizer seems like a luxury until the first time you wash your dark colored car in the sun and don't get water spots and don't have to spend 20 minutes hand drying! That's my opinion anyway.
I find the issue of the failure to hand wash and properly take care of a premium vehicle as far as exterior maintenance, is only an excuse for laziness or simply not caring. I have seen many beautiful premium vehicles, where owners simply want the status and look of the luxury sports car. I see many of these types of sports cars, dirty and see the lack of proper exterior maintenance. It is sad.

Excuses like getting water spots when hand washing due to hard water, simply shows the lack of knowledge of exterior washing and detail products available. There have been numerous advancements in detailing products that prevent water spots. There is no longer a need to use a wax product. Advancements in washing techniques, make maintaining the exterior of a vehicle so easy.

The idea that anyone has other things to do other than maintaining their vehicle is also an excuse. If a vehicle is properly detailed with new state of the art products like polymer paint sealants or ceramic paint coatings the future maintenance is quite easy. A future car wash can only take 20-30 minutes of anyone's time.

I agree it makes no sense to make modifications to a vehicle like new wheels, exhausts, etc. if the owner is not willing to maintain the vehicle's exterior appearance.

There is always extra time in anyone's day or evening or weekend. Maintaining your beautiful Jaguar should be a high priority. You own a premium vehicle, you paid a lot of money for it, keep it looking great.

The Jaguar XK/XKR whether coupe or convertible are marvels of design and beauty.

Old 01-21-2017, 08:06 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by j.w.s
but won't spend $400 on a deionizer?
is only an excuse for laziness or simply not caring.

Relax guys, it is just a car. If someone doesn't want to dote all over it, rub it, touch it, admire, kiss it, wash it, sleep in it, hug it, does it really offend you both so much? Holy cow, if they want to run it into the ground it is their prerogative, premium this, $30k-$100k that, what does it matter?

For me it takes an extra 5 minutes to dry and I have no issue with my hard water since I wash and dry in sections. The only time you get spotting is when you allow the water to dry. Why would I spend $400 for a unit that I deem unnecessary?

For everyone on here who doesn't feel like handwashing and decide to run it though a machine wash I applaud you for being a rebel.

The following 2 users liked this post by tampamark:
jagtoes (01-21-2017), richzak (01-21-2017)
Old 01-22-2017, 09:20 AM
Received 189 Likes on 88 Posts

For the last 50+ years, my preference has always been to hand wash my cars on my drive. I first remove all rings, bracelets, watch and belt. I have my favorite music playing, a fan blowing on me and a cold beverage nearby.

I use a good quality car wash product, a bucket with a grid near the bottom and a boar's hair wash brush. After a thorough rinsing, I use a California Jelly Blade to remove 98% of the water and finish drying with a clean microfiber cloth. I then use a Data-Vac electric hand-held blower to get any water out of crevices, door jambs, etc.

I then wash the wheels with a wheel brush, the tires with a tire brush and use my Data-Vac blower to blow all water off of the wheels and tires - after which I apply a top dressing to the tires.

I then vacuum and clean the trunk, the interior and then clean all of the glass.

I never use a ‘drive-thru’ commercial car wash, but if I'm in a hurry, I will use the ‘spray-it-yourself’ type car wash that takes quarters - but I don’t use their ‘foaming brush’.

This is just how I do it. If you want to use the drive-thru car wash, the high end ceramic coating route or anything in between, it's your car so it's your call. Do whatever works for you.

I do it this way because I like doing it. I find it enjoyable and therapeutic. I like bonding with my cars and I like the self-satisfaction it gives me when I look at the end result. That's why I do it 3 times a week!

richzak (01-22-2017)
Old 01-22-2017, 09:32 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Snide72
For the last 50+ years, my preference has always been to hand wash my cars on my drive. I first remove all rings, bracelets, watch and belt. I have my favorite music playing, a fan blowing on me and a cold beverage nearby.

I use a good quality car wash product, a bucket with a grid near the bottom and a boar's hair wash brush. After a thorough rinsing, I use a California Jelly Blade to remove 98% of the water and finish drying with a clean microfiber cloth. I then use a Data-Vac electric hand-held blower to get any water out of crevices, door jambs, etc.

I then wash the wheels with a wheel brush, the tires with a tire brush and use my Data-Vac blower to blow all water off of the wheels and tires - after which I apply a top dressing to the tires.

I then vacuum and clean the trunk, the interior and then clean all of the glass.

I never use a ‘drive-thru’ commercial car wash, but if I'm in a hurry, I will use the ‘spray-it-yourself’ type car wash that takes quarters - but I don’t use their ‘foaming brush’.

This is just how I do it. If you want to use the drive-thru car wash, the high end ceramic coating route or anything in between, it's your car so it's your call. Do whatever works for you.

I do it this way because I like doing it. I find it enjoyable and therapeutic. I like bonding with my cars and I like the self-satisfaction it gives me when I look at the end result. That's why I do it 3 times a week!
Great sounds like it works for you.

Old 01-22-2017, 11:02 AM
Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Snide72

After a thorough rinsing, I use a California Jelly Blade to remove 98% of the water and finish drying with a clean microfiber cloth.

Snide 72,

I'm pretty much with you with a couple of exceptions. I always wash and rinse the wheels, tires and wheel wells first as that is generally the dirtiest part of the car. I don't want the rinse spray on an already clean car.
Secondly, I'm not a fan dragging anything solid across the paint. After washing and rinsing the car, I take off the spray nozzle and rinse the car with just the hose. This takes off about 80% of the standing water. I then use a leaf blower to dry the car the rest of the way.

For those of you that dry your car with a towel, here's a tip. When you wash the car go in one direction only-horizontally or vertically. Then when you dry, go in the opposite direction only. That way if you see any scratching or marring you'll know which procedure is causing it.

Happy detailing!

Best,

Old 01-22-2017, 01:20 PM
Received 189 Likes on 88 Posts

All good suggestions, TFlan. I will try doing the wheels first next time. For what it's worth ... I've used a jelly blade for 20+ years without issues or problems ... but I understand your position.

Old 01-22-2017, 02:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,541 Likes on 1,412 Posts

Snide72,
I'm with you. I probably wash my car three times a week, not because it looks so dirty (nothing makes the liquid silver look dirty unlike my Carnival Red XKR, where it looks dirty after a day), but because I find it one of the most relaxing things I can do. It's just plain soothing. And by the way, while I spray the wheels and tires while initially wetting the car, I wash and dry the car completely afterwhich I do the glass and finally, the wheels and tires. Sometimes I vacuum and do the interior before, sometimes afterwards, depends on my mood. I have such a busy, tension filled schedule, that washing my car is a little oasis of time where I am stress free. It's more about me than the cleanliness of the car.

ralphwg (01-22-2017)