XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Car is in winter storage!

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2017, 01:08 PM
Received 214 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by flyc2c
Just Googled "winter". Looks like it sucks.
Yep. I grew up in Duluth Minnesota and Wisconsin. From that I learned if palm trees don't grow there, I am not living there.

Old 11-01-2017, 03:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,186 Likes on 3,106 Posts

Originally Posted by davchr
Yep. I grew up in Duluth Minnesota and Wisconsin. From that I learned if palm trees don't grow there, I am not living there.
Hey! I grew up in Duluth! )Also lived in Superior for a few months) I left at age 20 and never went back, other than to visit family. Horrible place, at least during the ten months of winter... but then the two months of mosquitoes isn't great either.

Old 11-01-2017, 08:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,180 Likes on 2,343 Posts

Originally Posted by Aonsaithya
The car has an aluminium unibody, so I don't think salt is that big an issue. Sure, some chassis bits are steel still, but they can be protected otherwise.

I'm driving mine through the winter, and nervously looking forward to my first rwd+snow experience.
Salt is only a small part of the chemicals they put on roads now. The road here in Minnesota are pre-sprayed poor to a storm. The chemicals are extremely harsh on vehicles and do long term damage to concrete garage floors.

And that's just one of a few reasons you don't drive your XK in Minnesota in the winter. 4 inch ground clearance is another.

Old 12-04-2017, 09:32 PM
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I used this carbag https://www.carbag.com/carjacket/ to zip the car up for winter storage, in addition to a nice car cover, steel wool in the pipes, desiccant packs spread around in the car bag and floorboard/trunk for moisture and a package of activated charcoal for good measure - my 2009 portfolio is in a storage unit where they have pest control, but for good measure I put a bunch of bars of Irish Spring soap around the car and in the bag as I heard it works well for mice, like dryer sheets.

What I wasn't prepared for was the major hassle of getting the battery out of the trunk so I could put it on the battery tender during my upstate NY winter - what a PIA getting that thing out! Oh, and I did over-inflate the tires by like 3 pounds, but I think next season I need to do a few more lbs, like 5-7. I'm hopeful that I can start driving it by the end of March - pretty anxious as I had to put the cat in storage about a week and a half after I got it - this will be the longest winter for me, even if it's the shortest on record... coming to this forum and seeing all the pix make it even harder, but so much great info here - awesome forum guys, looking forward to being a part of it...

The following 2 users liked this post by digband:
ralphwg (12-04-2017), Sean W (12-04-2017)
Old 12-04-2017, 10:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 969 Likes on 654 Posts

Originally Posted by digband
I used this carbag https://www.carbag.com/carjacket/ to zip the car up for winter storage, in addition to a nice car cover, steel wool in the pipes, desiccant packs spread around in the car bag and floorboard/trunk for moisture and a package of activated charcoal for good measure - my 2009 portfolio is in a storage unit where they have pest control, but for good measure I put a bunch of bars of Irish Spring soap around the car and in the bag as I heard it works well for mice, like dryer sheets.

What I wasn't prepared for was the major hassle of getting the battery out of the trunk so I could put it on the battery tender during my upstate NY winter - what a PIA getting that thing out! Oh, and I did over-inflate the tires by like 3 pounds, but I think next season I need to do a few more lbs, like 5-7. I'm hopeful that I can start driving it by the end of March - pretty anxious as I had to put the cat in storage about a week and a half after I got it - this will be the longest winter for me, even if it's the shortest on record... coming to this forum and seeing all the pix make it even harder, but so much great info here - awesome forum guys, looking forward to being a part of it...
I think you are overachieving.

The following users liked this post:
110reef (12-05-2017)
Old 12-05-2017, 09:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Wow I gotta admit you are going the extra mile. I'm a 3 - 3 1/2 season driver meaning I'll drive any time unless there is snow on the roads. I wait until the salt/calcium mix is either dry or washed off of the road and it's out I go. If we get a few days or a week of snow I put the cover on and wait until the roads get driveable. At my age there may not be a next year so enjoy the ride while you can.

Attached Thumbnails Car is in winter storage!-dsc00126.jpg  
Old 12-05-2017, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by jagtoes
Wow I gotta admit you are going the extra mile. I'm a 3 - 3 1/2 season driver meaning I'll drive any time unless there is snow on the roads. I wait until the salt/calcium mix is either dry or washed off of the road and it's out I go. If we get a few days or a week of snow I put the cover on and wait until the roads get driveable. At my age there may not be a next year so enjoy the ride while you can.
You're setup is stellar - never occurred to me to put the XKR ABOVE my current car - I measured and think I have the height in my garage to pull that off, but for my garage door opener mechanism/motor that's mounted and suspended about 4/5 feet above my current car's roof - looks like yours opener motor is moved to the side and attached up at the ceiling level rather than suspended above the ground level car - was that a mod you had done to accommodate the car storage lift? It pulls the garage door up from the side rather than the middle?

Old 12-05-2017, 10:04 PM
Veteran Member

You're setup is stellar - never occurred to me to put the XKR ABOVE my current car - I measured and think I have the height in my garage to pull that off, but for my garage door opener mechanism/motor that's mounted and suspended about 4/5 feet above my current car's roof - looks like yours opener motor is moved to the side and attached up at the ceiling level rather than suspended above the ground level car - was that a mod you had done to accommodate the car storage lift? It pulls the garage door up from the side rather than the middle?
It's still in the middle and mounted about 2" below the ceiling. Door tracks are also about 8" below the ceiling . Ceiling is 11' and the door is 8' x 16' . It's a typical set up for high ceiling . Liftmaster wifi opener that is belt driven. The lift is great for storage as well as working on my cars. Works for me as it turns my 2 car garage into a 3 car and if I wanted to put in another lift it would be a 4 car garage.

Old 12-05-2017, 10:18 PM

Jagtoes - disregard the question about the garage door opener motor (is there a way to edit a post on this forum?) - I see yours is a 2 car garage door so the motor IS in the middle I assume - mine is a single separate bay/door of a 3 car garage (wife and kids toys/shelves take up all of the 2 car bay) so my garage door opener is smack in the middle above my car/bay. I'm still going to poke around the internet for a solution to make space for a lift and somehow still have a motorized garage door opener...

Old 12-05-2017, 10:22 PM
Received 67 Likes on 24 Posts
Default 07 xk 121,500 miles Daily Driver

I just put on staggered Bridgestone bllizzaks front & rear December to April and enjoy the car all winter long!

Old 12-07-2017, 02:57 PM
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by captusnr
I just put on staggered Bridgestone bllizzaks front & rear December to April and enjoy the car all winter long!
I don't intend to "store" the car. I am a firm believer in "If you got it today, don't wait 'till tomorrow, 'cause tomorrow never happens". OK maybe not in the ice and snow, I have a beater for that.

Old 12-08-2017, 08:35 AM
Received 249 Likes on 175 Posts

Drove mine in the snow today. In south Louisiana. Yep.

Old 12-09-2017, 04:07 AM
Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Winter....It is just a time when one switches Cats

Old 12-09-2017, 08:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,180 Likes on 2,343 Posts

Originally Posted by Rick'sJag
I don't intend to "store" the car. I am a firm believer in "If you got it today, don't wait 'till tomorrow, 'cause tomorrow never happens". OK maybe not in the ice and snow, I have a beater for that.
I just looked up NJ on google. So there's a "New" Jersey? What happened to the old one?

Old 12-09-2017, 09:07 AM
Received 179 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by jagtoes
where did you vuy this cover! i want one, looks
easy to take off and put on..please tell me the model and type of cover

Old 12-09-2017, 11:55 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by tarokyama
where did you vuy this cover! i want one, looks
easy to take off and put on..please tell me the model and type of cover
It was given to me from my BIL after he sold his 2nd Corvette. It is a Cover Craft model called Sunbrella.

Old 12-10-2017, 01:42 PM
Received 70 Likes on 42 Posts

Jagtoes - disregard the question about the garage door opener motor (is there a way to edit a post on this forum?) - I see yours is a 2 car garage door so the motor IS in the middle I assume - mine is a single separate bay/door of a 3 car garage (wife and kids toys/shelves take up all of the 2 car bay) so my garage door opener is smack in the middle above my car/bay. I'm still going to poke around the internet for a solution to make space for a lift and somehow still have a motorized garage door opener...
Get a Liftmaster 3800 side drive. Awesome and nothing above car

Old 12-11-2017, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by AllblueACR
Get a Liftmaster 3800 side drive. Awesome and nothing above car
Yes, perfect! I've spec'd out the whole process - just need to extend the vertical tracks for the door so it goes up almost to the ceiling and then move the curved tracks up so they starts curving inward just before the ceiling... this BendPak lift would fit in my garage - although when I consider all the cost and hassle, I'm thinking I just need to get a shed instead and move out a bunch of the crap in the 2 car bay - only problem is I have a work bench in the garage I'm loathe to get rid of or move to a shed, and 2 cars won't fit in that bay unless I do... got to keep the wife happy whatever the case... I wonder what will make her happier: not spending $3k on a lift or moving all her and the kids stuff to a shed... or, me just putting this whole idea out of my head and leaving the car in winter storage till March like I planned... whenever several days go by and there's no snow or salt on the road all I can do is pine for driving that sweet machine...