XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Change your e-diff fluid!

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2019, 01:39 PM
Received 71 Likes on 28 Posts

This is a good thread and it's prompted me to change my own e-diff fluid. Called my local Jag dealer and they sell the correct fluid for $60/litre. Pretty pricey, but since I won't be doing it frequently, and don't want to risk damaging the expensive e-diff, I will just buy it.
I have a lift in my garage so access should be easy, any tips from those who have done the job?

The following users liked this post:
DGL (09-18-2019)
Old 09-18-2019, 04:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,380 Likes on 1,607 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffu
I used: RAVENOL J1C1126 Multi-Disc Locking Differential Fluid
YES, the shudder I was experiencing is gone.
Did you need more that the bottle and half?
Do you have enough leftover for another change in a year or so?

Old 09-18-2019, 09:01 PM
Received 179 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by Firm
This is a good thread and it's prompted me to change my own e-diff fluid. Called my local Jag dealer and they sell the correct fluid for $60/litre. Pretty pricey, but since I won't be doing it frequently, and don't want to risk damaging the expensive e-diff, I will just buy it.
I have a lift in my garage so access should be easy, any tips from those who have done the job?

Very easy job,. A small 8mm hex ratchet would be helpful, clearance is tight for the fill plug.

Old 09-21-2019, 07:42 AM
Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Diff & ZF Tranny fluid changes

The life fluids in these two vital vehicle components DO loose their quality over time. It only makes sense to change these fluids and tranny filter after 25k miles before 60k. The tranny filter will give you an inside look of your trans health as the wear material will be present , hopefully a very minimal amount.
As others have stated the ZF panfilter & ZF fluid are available on eBay. I use a indie BMW mechanic to perform my maintenance. They run same tranny. He has no problem with me bringing components/parts to him. He measured the amount of oil that came out of tranny. A lift is priceless.
The diff oil in my car was really beat. Black as coal oil and stunk.
The supercharger oil was black and stuck also. But I did that. No lift needed.

We spend good money for these vehicles for a very enjoyable ride cruising at 40-50 mph (with wife) or pedal smashed to the floor board, an enjoyable exhaust note singing in our ears and fingering the paddles till she screams next gear pleeease ...if there is enough safe road.
So why would you jeopardize this for simple routine fluid maintenance? Especially the brake fluid!! These car were built for a lifetime of enjoyment with simple maintenance for critical components.

The following users liked this post:
Hans Amstein (03-29-2022)
Old 09-23-2019, 07:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 671 Likes on 334 Posts

So is it possible to over fill this Diff? I see that the SC should hold 1.3L. I drained old fluid which was very dark and smelly, I pumped 1.3L back in and when I pulled my hose out I had fluid coming out. I got plug back in fairly quickly but then I started wondering if I didn’t get all the fluid out and maybe I have it overfilled? Anyone that has done this can you tell me if it would be normal to have fluid pouring out or do you think I overfilled? Lastly if I did overfill could it do damage?

Thanks,
Aaron

Old 09-25-2019, 08:36 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by TexasTraveler
So is it possible to over fill this Diff? I see that the SC should hold 1.3L. I drained old fluid which was very dark and smelly, I pumped 1.3L back in and when I pulled my hose out I had fluid coming out. I got plug back in fairly quickly but then I started wondering if I didn’t get all the fluid out and maybe I have it overfilled? Anyone that has done this can you tell me if it would be normal to have fluid pouring out or do you think I overfilled? Lastly if I did overfill could it do damage?

Thanks,
Aaron
Anyone have any experience with Diff fluid change care to weigh in on this? I have let the car sit for 2 days now after putting new fluid in, was thinking about opening up fill plug to see if fluid still comes out or maybe when I pumped in the 1.3L it needed time to settle? Also, I only had the rear end up on stands when I did this, so maybe affect draining or filling level? Any thoughts?

Old 09-25-2019, 09:22 AM
Veteran Member

Just reminding you, in the manual it underscores the fill plug does not determine fill level.

Old 09-25-2019, 09:35 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Queen and Country
Just reminding you, in the manual it underscores the fill plug does not determine fill level.
I did see that as well Q&C, do you think that means the fill plug is lower than the fill level, therefore having fluid coming out before getting the plug back in would be normal or to not fill up to the fill plug?

Last edited by TexasTraveler; 09-25-2019 at 09:37 AM.
Old 09-25-2019, 10:10 AM
Veteran Member

I did see that as well Q&C, do you think that means the fill plug is lower than the fill level, therefore having fluid coming out before getting the plug back in would be normal or to not fill up to the fill plug?
To me it means you pay no attention to fill hole, strictly go by amount. Which also answers your other questions, you can overfill it and car level doesnt matter.

Old 09-25-2019, 10:29 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Queen and Country
To me it means you pay no attention to fill hole, strictly go by amount. Which also answers your other questions, you can overfill it and car level doesnt matter.
I am probably just being over cautious. Just when I read the statement you mentioned about fill plug not determining level, I took that as to not fill up to hole like you do on many vehicles, so when I had fluid coming out of fill hole, it made be question if I had overfilled. I guess the only way to know for certain is to remove fill plug and see if fluid still comes out. If it does I will let it drain until it stops then pull drain plug and drain into a container that I can measure how much fluid is left in Diff. at that point. I don't like doing things 2-3 times but not knowing will have me thinking about it non-stop. Unless someone can verify that the fill plug is indeed lower than the fill level, I don't see any other way to make sure?

Old 09-25-2019, 11:49 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Brutal
And yet no one addressed the ediff. You can drain and fill with the thing to note that it does not use the fill port as a level to achieve! This is a overfill. Iirc the wet drain and fill is 1.2litre. And i do recommend as ive seen some pretty dank fluid coming out of diffs with less that 50k miles.
Found this in another thread... So I guess I will be opening up the fill plug to see if fluid is still coming out or if it was just a need for fluid to settle into the diff. because of the thick weight...

Old 09-25-2019, 12:24 PM
Veteran Member

if fluid still comes out. If it does I will let it drain until it stops then pull drain plug and drain into a container that I can measure how much fluid is left in Diff. at that point. I don't like doing things 2-3 times but not knowing will have me thinking about it non-stop. Unless someone can verify that the fill plug is indeed lower than the fill level, I don't see any other way to make sure?
This is exactly what I would do cause you lost count.
Put 1.3L in there and you are done. Ignore everything else. Raise the front too if you have to.
BTW, 1.3L is the big scotch bottle all the way to the top and 2 shot glasses more.

The following 2 users liked this post by Queen and Country:
guy (08-11-2021), TexasTraveler (09-25-2019)
Old 09-25-2019, 12:36 PM
Received 225 Likes on 144 Posts

Perhaps PM one of the techs e.g. Brutal for an answer.

The following 2 users liked this post by hafren:
JackJohn (09-25-2019), TexasTraveler (09-25-2019)
Old 09-26-2019, 07:10 PM
Veteran Member

Ok, so I lifted car up in front and back to make sure it was level, pulled the fill plug and it was barely dripping any fluid. So I then pulled the drain plug and drained out the fluid into a container that I could measure it and I drained out 1.5L of fluid, so I did overfill. So I started getting everything ready to put back in 1.3L when I realized what I did. The side of my 1L bottles only have numbers up to 800ml even though 1L has 1000ml, so without thinking I put the first liter in and just messed up the simple math and then added 500ml in for what I thought was 1.3L but was actually 1.5L. So moral of this story is it appears that our Ediff will hold approximately 1.5L if you fill up to fill hole. Not sure if the extra 200ml would make a huge difference, but no sense in chancing it. This really is very simple to do, I would recommend everyone doing this because my fluid was really nasty looking. All you need is an 8mm allen that is about 3/4” long, 8mm open end wrench for fill plug and 3/8 socket ratchet for drain plug and of course 2 liters of fluid. After car is lifted it takes less than 30 minutes to do it...

The following 5 users liked this post by TexasTraveler:
hafren (09-27-2019), kj07xk (09-26-2019), NBCat (09-27-2019), Queen and Country (09-26-2019), shemp (09-27-2019)
Old 09-27-2019, 05:53 PM
Received 2,601 Likes on 1,794 Posts

As a side note for those living in areas with corrosive salt spray in winter, or in a damp environment, ALWAYS remove the FILL plug first prior to removing the drain plug, if fitted.

The following 3 users liked this post by NBCat:
Cee Jay (09-27-2019), Sean W (10-07-2019), TexasTraveler (09-27-2019)
Old 10-06-2019, 09:53 PM
Received 71 Likes on 28 Posts

Attempted to change the fluid in the e-diff today. Got the car up on the lift (which is a chore in itself having to move a bunch of other vehicles) and proceeded to spend the next 2 hours trying to get the fill plug out to no avail. Pretty embarrassing as I consider myself pretty decent with this stuff (I was an apprentice tech many years ago and restore old cars as hobby) but this fill plug beat me....

I had nothing that I could get at it with, tried cutting down an 8mm allen wrench, but even cut down it wouldn't go. Eventually discovered that if I used a really long extension (like 8-10") with a 1/4" socket and 8mm hex I could get onto the fill plug by running the extension straight through the rear cradle. Thought that was going to do it, but nope...it's seized tight, even with the ratchet I couldn't apply enough torque to break it free. Had the hex slip a couple times and figured I'd better call it quits before I strip it entirely.

Glad I didn't drain it first...

So - anyone got an tips or special tools to get this fill plug out?

Old 10-06-2019, 11:09 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Firm
Attempted to change the fluid in the e-diff today. Got the car up on the lift (which is a chore in itself having to move a bunch of other vehicles) and proceeded to spend the next 2 hours trying to get the fill plug out to no avail. Pretty embarrassing as I consider myself pretty decent with this stuff (I was an apprentice tech many years ago and restore old cars as hobby) but this fill plug beat me....

I had nothing that I could get at it with, tried cutting down an 8mm allen wrench, but even cut down it wouldn't go. Eventually discovered that if I used a really long extension (like 8-10") with a 1/4" socket and 8mm hex I could get onto the fill plug by running the extension straight through the rear cradle. Thought that was going to do it, but nope...it's seized tight, even with the ratchet I couldn't apply enough torque to break it free. Had the hex slip a couple times and figured I'd better call it quits before I strip it entirely.

Glad I didn't drain it first...

So - anyone got an tips or special tools to get this fill plug out?
Try one of these. You will read in the reviews of others using it for your exact application. With the right leverage you can loosen even a frozen solid lug nut. These have the length for that leverage.
Amazon Amazon

Old 10-07-2019, 03:52 PM
Received 128 Likes on 89 Posts

For the fill plug, I used a long 8mm allen, cut an inch off the short leg and map gassed the long arm and bent it in the middle about 30 degrees to clear the exhaust. The most important part was letting it sit for a day after soaking it with PB Blaster. Then I got the allen in and tapped the long leg with my Thor hammer and it broke loose! Putting it back in was a test of patience though since two fingers holding the plug almost won't fit in that space.

The following 2 users liked this post by Don-T:
Firm (10-07-2019), Queen and Country (03-10-2020)
Old 10-07-2019, 04:20 PM
Veteran Member

I just used a piece of 8mm allen around 1/2”-3/4” long with an 8mm ratcheting wrench... Lucky for me mine came right out without having to soak it with any penetrant...

Old 10-07-2019, 04:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,179 Likes on 2,342 Posts

Originally Posted by Don-T
For the fill plug, I used a long 8mm allen, cut an inch off the short leg and map gassed the long arm and bent it in the middle about 30 degrees to clear the exhaust. The most important part was letting it sit for a day after soaking it with PB Blaster. Then I got the allen in and tapped the long leg with my Thor hammer and it broke loose! Putting it back in was a test of patience though since two fingers holding the plug almost won't fit in that space.
Don, did you donate any skin to the exhaust pipe like I did?

Edit: Oops, I burned mine on transmission refill. wrong thread sorry.

Last edited by Sean W; 10-07-2019 at 04:24 PM.

Quick Reply: Change your e-diff fluid!