XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Cheap Fix For Dreaded A/C Drain

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2014, 09:43 PM
Received 98 Likes on 59 Posts
Default Cheap Fix For Dreaded A/C Drain

I'm to cheap to pull the dash or drop the tranny to fix a $2.00 part, so I tried the close the vents and blow like hell trick but it did not work for me. Then tried the bent tool to try to reach the duck bill from above the Tranny, but that didn't work either, so I decided to add my own drain...and that worked!
Here's how you do it:
1) remove kick panel on the forward edge of the door jam so the rug can be pulled back out of the way. Just snaps off easily.
2) Drill a 1/2" hole(double ck that) into the evaporator plastic box.**Go very-very slowly and stop immediately when you punch through so you don't drill into the evaporator fins that's on the other side. *important*
3) Buy a 1/4" nylon hose barb from Ace Hardware part#PL216 and screw it into the hole by hand to start it. Put alittle clear RTV on the threads. Screw it in with a wrench or socket until it's snug. Don't over tighten it and strip the threads. It doesn't need to be screwed all the way in. It's actually better to be shallow in the evaporator. It will drain easier.
4) Put 3ft of clear plastic tubing on the end of the barb (also from Ace Hardware) and run it to the floor board.
5) Drill a hole through the aluminum floor board just big enough for the tube and secure it with a tie wrap on the bottom of the car on the nearby bracket. Also, put some RTV silicon around the tube at the floorboard.
*Check the pictures for areas to drill on Evaporator box and floor. You won't hit anything on the floorboard.
5) Leave enough length so you can easily reach under the car and occasionally blow on the hose with your air compressor to keep debris off the hole, and you are done!
Cheap Hillbilly fix for under $10.
I hope this helps somebody on the forum that is as cheap as I am!

Attached Thumbnails Cheap Fix For Dreaded A/C Drain-ac1.jpg   Cheap Fix For Dreaded A/C Drain-ac2.jpg   Cheap Fix For Dreaded A/C Drain-ac3.jpg   Cheap Fix For Dreaded A/C Drain-ac5.jpg   Cheap Fix For Dreaded A/C Drain-ac4.jpg  

Cheap Fix For Dreaded A/C Drain-ac6.jpg   Cheap Fix For Dreaded A/C Drain-ac7.jpg  
The following 10 users liked this post by hawaii:
amcdonal86 (03-12-2014), bobdr1 (03-13-2014), CleverName (03-12-2014), GGG (04-23-2014), Glenn Gardin (03-30-2014), LstFord (03-30-2014), ndy.boyd (03-13-2014), Ngarara (03-30-2014), richzak (03-29-2014), sherbercars (03-30-2014) and 5 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 03-12-2014, 09:46 PM

Awe Crap...my pictures never load right..sorry. If someone knows how, just rotate the pics to the right once.
The blower motor seen in one of the pictures comes off very easily with three screws, just incase you have to replace that, one day from being submerged in water to long. All that dirty water came off the blower motor.

Old 03-12-2014, 09:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 482 Likes on 403 Posts

Very interesting approach. I'm sure many will be doing it this way in the future as they become cheap enough to actually get in the hands of hillbillies!

Personally, I would be too afraid to drill through the floorboard! The problem is, you forgot to put a new duckbill on your hillbilly drain. But that would defeat the purpose, now wouldn't it?

Old 03-13-2014, 05:49 AM
Received 43 Likes on 21 Posts

Interesting, lateral thinking approach!I would also be afraid of drilling holes there, but, hey, the prospect of removing the whole dash isn't so promising either!

Incidentally, there is a duckbill drain in the wheel well as well, very easily seen. I suppose it's like the same one used for the AC drain.

Old 03-30-2014, 08:10 AM
Received 69 Likes on 13 Posts

Hawaii you are a genius! I have been trying to come uo with a fix and never considered this. I guess that beautiful island you live on promotes clear thinking!
How about a final picture of the install? Does the hose show in the pass foot well? Thanks again!!! I can easily get this done before summer hits Colorado.

The following users liked this post:
hawaii (03-30-2014)
Old 03-30-2014, 08:13 AM
Received 69 Likes on 13 Posts

Sorry, forgot to ask if you are seeing draining through your new tube? Mahalo

Old 03-30-2014, 01:16 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile Jaguar help

Jaguar did help me with the bill...the dealer would not pull the trans to do the work...said they had done it many times and requires the half dash pull to fix properly....worked and I am and have been satisfied with the fix..so far.
Contact Customer Relationship Rep Amber DiCostanzo at Jaguar Land Rover North America, LLC 1-800-4-JAGUAR, Option 9. She can help!

Old 03-30-2014, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by DenverDDS
Sorry, forgot to ask if you are seeing draining through your new tube? Mahalo
It does fix the problem for me. I ran it around a few weeks before buttoning it up checking for interior leaking etc. I see water coming out of the hose so it's working. Try to put it low on the box to catch the most water.
You don't see anything different because it's all under the rug. The nice thing is there is a nice hose you can get to easily now to blow some air into the box. Your old duck bill might start working again.
The previous owner had the duck bill replaced under warranty, but back then they put the same one back on, so the problem returned for me.
Again sorry about the pictures. They need to be rotated a quarter turn to the right. Not techie enough to figure it out.

Last edited by hawaii; 03-30-2014 at 09:46 PM.
sherbercars (03-31-2014)
Old 03-30-2014, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by ejjbee
Interesting, lateral thinking approach!I would also be afraid of drilling holes there, but, hey, the prospect of removing the whole dash isn't so promising either!

Incidentally, there is a duckbill drain in the wheel well as well, very easily seen. I suppose it's like the same one used for the AC drain.
Which wheel well is that duck bill?

Old 04-23-2014, 06:51 PM
GGG
Received 16,793 Likes on 12,165 Posts

Originally Posted by hawaii
......... If someone knows how, just rotate the pics to the right once. ..........
Here you go:

Cheap Fix For Dreaded A/C Drain-ac1.jpg

Cheap Fix For Dreaded A/C Drain-ac2.jpg

Cheap Fix For Dreaded A/C Drain-ac3.jpg

Cheap Fix For Dreaded A/C Drain-ac4.jpg

Cheap Fix For Dreaded A/C Drain-ac5.jpg

Cheap Fix For Dreaded A/C Drain-ac6.jpg

Cheap Fix For Dreaded A/C Drain-ac7.jpg

Graham

hawaii (04-24-2014)
Old 04-23-2014, 09:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 359 Likes on 254 Posts

I guess I should pay attention for when I receive my 08 and my passenger complains of water on her nylons?

Old 04-24-2014, 02:04 AM

Thanks Graham! That's much better. I appreciate it.

Old 04-24-2014, 05:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 359 Likes on 254 Posts

I have to ask Graham, that liquid looks like an oily mix? Did that come from the evap tray? It's a strange color for condensate.

Old 04-24-2014, 10:24 AM
Received 45 Likes on 34 Posts

Because I'm too lazy to search, and because it may help future members that find this thread, could someone please add the models/years that the AC drain issue affects?

Thanks in advance,

Rich

Old 04-24-2014, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by RedRider48
I have to ask Graham, that liquid looks like an oily mix? Did that come from the evap tray? It's a strange color for condensate.
That dirty water came out of the blower fan area, which came from evaporator . I guess when you see it on the ground it hides the color. That's the water that drips onto your passengers legs!

Old 04-25-2014, 07:26 AM
Default water on passenger feet

Originally Posted by hawaii
That dirty water came out of the blower fan area, which came from evaporator . I guess when you see it on the ground it hides the color. That's the water that drips onto your passengers legs!

To Hawaii....sorry to say but the water I caught in a bucket (lots) was perfectly clear...not sure where your water came from.

Old 04-25-2014, 07:33 AM
Default model years with problem

Mine is 2008 Xk convertible...When I discovered the problem I was running with the top down and the A/C on automatic....so it was sucking up the outside air and trying to convert it which would be almost impossible with a lot of condensation...could not handle it so spit the runover out onto my wife's feet...wow!

In the manual, it recommends not to do this...ie run with top down and A/C on. Even though , it should not have done this.

Got it fixed at Jag dealer.

Old 04-25-2014, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by flashgordonfl
To Hawaii....sorry to say but the water I caught in a bucket (lots) was perfectly clear...not sure where your water came from.
Well if yours was clear I probably will have to replace my blower motor sometime in the near future. Probably rust from the windings being submerged in water for too long. The good news is the motor is easily changed with only three bolts! Not sure on the cost of one of those puppies though!

Old 04-25-2014, 01:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 587 Likes on 316 Posts
Default a/c leak

hi all, getting my 2007 xkr on wedensday, saw in glove box where previous owner had reciepts for replacing this issue in 2013, dont know wheter it was replaced with upgrade part/tube, but dash was taken out to fix, how long will it take for this problem to occor again or will it. Should i just do the tube in the evaporater quick fix and it will be finished with.

Old 04-25-2014, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by powerhouse
hi all, getting my 2007 xkr on wedensday, saw in glove box where previous owner had reciepts for replacing this issue in 2013, dont know wheter it was replaced with upgrade part/tube, but dash was taken out to fix, how long will it take for this problem to occor again or will it. Should i just do the tube in the evaporater quick fix and it will be finished with.
I would contact the mechanic and see if they removed the duckbill. If they did you are good to go, if they just replaced. The duck bill do the close the vents with air on high once a week to keep it clear.
It takes time for it to stick again. I won't do the second drain until you absolutely had to.

powerhouse (04-25-2014)

Quick Reply: Cheap Fix For Dreaded A/C Drain