XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Cleaning Advice - just bought one

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2015, 06:42 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Cleaning Advice - just bought one

I just bought a 2008 XK Convertible and its really nice, and I intend to keep it that way. I want to know what products you suggest to clean(preserve) the interior - (wood and leather). As far as exterior: On my other every day cars I've always a product called NuFinish. It states it is a non was product that you only use twice a year. Any opinions? Also - convertible top cleaner?
Finally - there are a couple of little tiny scratches (one on the bumper) I know there is touch up paint available but when I've seen it used it looks just like that: is there a better solution short of going to a body shop ...

Old 06-20-2015, 04:05 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey, I took ownership of my XKR convertible last June and have enjoyed every minute of it. One of the first things I did was to waterproof the roof as I wasn't too sure when it was last done. After a hunt online and rifling through various reviews I went for the Autoglym Wash and conditioner, it's a two part process. First shower and the effect was very noticeable with the water beading and rolling off the roof. Have noticed since that a few people on this forum have recommended "303 Fabric Guard". Whatever you choose try not to get it onto the paintwork. *Again, regardless of what you choose it will need to be replenished after a few months. Get used to wearing a permanent grin!

Old 06-20-2015, 10:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 788 Posts

Review this post on cleaning and protecting the Convertible Top.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...t-guys-144904/

Old 06-21-2015, 08:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

I would suggest making a cleaning purchase from a good online detailing shop like Detailed Image - Premium Auto Detailing and Car Care Products and get the correct cleaning supplies.

- Leather should only be "cleaned" when dirty. If unsure if dirty, give it a light going over with special leather soap like Lexol cleaner. I been liking Lexol for leather preservative as well. Get a terry covered pad to make the application many times faster. There's a lot of leather in the XK. Lexol wipes are also fantastic. I use to use Connolly's Hide Food, but it takes longer to use and I don't see any benefit over what Lexol does.

- Wood, use Pledge or any other brand of furniture polish. You can also use car wax on the painted wood or piano finish surface. Mask around the leather; if that wax gets on the leather you'll be hating life.

- Metal, use Never Dull or similar impregnated cloth wading (in a can).
- Vents, use a q-tip with a little water or vinyl protectant. I like Meguiars Hyper Conditioner.
- Paint. Lot's of opinions based on how often and how much labor you want to spend. Minimum is clay bar or NanoSkin wash mitt (worth buying over clay bar) and wax. If there's surface marks after clay, you'll have to address them with some kind of polish. I like to use a sealer before waxing. Sealer goes on quick and does make the wax last much longer.

- Wheel cleaner is important along with the wheel cleaning brushes. Buy a long and short brush. A good all around wheel cleaner is P21S. Buy in the largest container you can as the price drops per unit a lot on the big ones. BMW sells a wheel cleaner that is re-labeled Sonix brand which is very good and much cheaper than the Sonix labeled product.

Most of all, technique and attention to detail you want to use at all times. Small stuff like an extension to a hose which is another hose that's cut off will prevent any hose damage rinsing the car. I use 4-5' section that is cut off. Uses less water than a gun on the end of the hose and sheets the soap of much better.

I could go on for pages...