XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Cold shoulder from XKR owner

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2016, 08:50 PM
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Cold shoulder from XKR owner

I wanted to share this story with you. While I was stopped at a light on my way home from work today I see a black XKR start to pull up next to me. I'm thinking great we'll have a minute to compliment each others cars. Mind you I dont see XKRs on the road very often and this is the first time I was ever side by side with one. I look over to him to say hi and to my surprise he doesnt look over or acknowledge me at all. We both had our tops down too. When the light changes he just drives away easy. He got up ahead and started weaving in and out of traffic so I had to chase him a little. When I caught up at the next light same thing he wouldnt glance over. Whats your take on this? Is this normal behavior among cat owners? I normally ignore everyone else but I make an exception for fellow cat owners. At least when I pulled into the gas station a lady in a Honda told me to take good care of her car.

Old 06-01-2016, 09:03 PM
Received 7,878 Likes on 4,762 Posts

Some people are just @$$holes!!!!!!!!!! I sometimes drive my 1980 VW Rabbit Pickup. (I've owned it for 30+ years) They only made them from 1980 to 1983 (4 years). There are 3 of us that own these in my rural County here in Texas. I wave hello to the other guys and only one waves back!!!

The other guy never waves so I don't wave anymore, I give him 'the finger'!!!

Just Sayin'!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bob

The following users liked this post:
rfr66 (06-01-2016)
Old 06-01-2016, 09:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,166 Likes on 1,610 Posts

Some owners in the newer model sections go on and on
about "exclusivity".

Maybe the other driver was one of the exclusive types
and seeing another one would burst his bubble.

Old 06-01-2016, 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by plums
Some owners in the newer model sections go on and on
about "exclusivity".

Maybe the other driver was one of the exclusive types
and seeing another one would burst his bubble.

Yes. It did seem like I was cramping his style. He had the older MY with the chrome vertical vent. I must have made him feel dated.

Old 06-01-2016, 10:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 788 Posts

Life has many more important things than to be concerned about another XKR owner not acknowledging you.

Don't sweat the small things in life. Drive your own XKR and just enjoy it.

Old 06-01-2016, 10:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,166 Likes on 1,610 Posts

Originally Posted by rfr66
Yes. It did seem like I was cramping his style. He had the older MY with the chrome vertical vent. I must have made him feel dated.
And he still hasn't finished paying for it.

Old 06-02-2016, 03:22 AM
Received 43 Likes on 23 Posts

LOL i my country no one waves no one

Old 06-02-2016, 05:41 AM
Received 50 Likes on 42 Posts

Probably lives in Manhattan and thinks you were a hick from Long Island. Come to Jersey and we can wave at each other.

Old 06-02-2016, 06:09 AM
Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

just think like: "in what situation would I be doing the same.. ?" and pretend he is in that situation... perhaps he was thinking about things, his business going bad (or good) etc etc....

same with speeders, people taking the hard shoulders, cutting corners etc.. If my wife was delivering at that moment, I'd be doing the same

Old 06-02-2016, 07:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

Unfortunately, my experiences with Jaguar owners is similar as yours. I don't think I have had any interaction with another XK owner when in the same situation.

Heck, I had joined JANE once, entered a car show (British Car day in Brookline) and no one in the JANE sponsored section would even speak to me. I couldn't even get a donut that my membership partially paid for! What a waste of money that was!

Old 06-02-2016, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
Unfortunately, my experiences with Jaguar owners is similar as yours. I don't think I have had any interaction with another XK owner when in the same situation.

Heck, I had joined JANE once, entered a car show (British Car day in Brookline) and no one in the JANE sponsored section would even speak to me. I couldn't even get a donut that my membership partially paid for! What a waste of money that was!
Boy these Jaguar owners are really jerks. Who do they think they are. Next time no more mr. Nice guy. I'll just blow him off the line and he can think about that.

Old 06-02-2016, 08:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

Originally Posted by rfr66
Boy these Jaguar owners are really jerks. Who do they think they are. Next time no more mr. Nice guy. I'll just blow him off the line and he can think about that.
Exactly. When I owned an Alfa, Lotus, or Maserati; I'd always get a wave from crossing another on the street. Never once in a Jag.

Old 06-02-2016, 09:01 AM
Received 333 Likes on 201 Posts

I have to agree as well, that Jag owners do not seem to mingle much. I get a "thumbs up" from everybody else...except fellow Jagsters.

Old 06-02-2016, 09:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 631 Likes on 409 Posts

Maybe he was preoccupied, family issue, work issue, who knows.

Regardless, who cares about a wave? Sometimes I wave, if I don't get one back I am not upset. I certainly don't engage people at lights in their cars as that seems intrusive, to me that is like talking to someone while at the urinal or in the elevator, just let people have their space. I would respond to someone engaging me though, just out of politeness. Reluctantly...

I have so many wave obligations, when I am in my Jeep Wrangler I have to wave at fellow Jeepers. When on my motorcycle wave at other 'cycles, but not Harley drivers, just fellow crotch-rocket drivers. Same in the Jag. Sometimes I get confused and start to wave to a Jeep from my Jag, that really throws people off.

At least when I am in my company car, a Chevy Malibu, I am exempt from the wave. I can drive in anonymity.

rfr66 (06-02-2016)
Old 06-02-2016, 10:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,380 Likes on 1,607 Posts

Originally Posted by SickRob
Probably lives in Manhattan and thinks you were a hick from Long Island. Come to Jersey and we can wave at each other.
Rob nailed it, it was probably someone from the city who thought you were trying to get in his pants. Cause he cant even fathom that you would take 5 seconds out of his life just cause you had the same car.

The lack of camaraderie is sad on hand- but its to be expected if the stereotypical owner is elusive, exclusive, sophisticated and aloof. In someways she/he buys a jaguar to disappear.

Trust me the alternative also sucks, my toyota jeep is a dude-magnet, every bubba in a modified off-roader expects me to slow down and engage in conversation. I own it for entirely different reasons, it was an exemplary piece of manufacturing.

Old 06-02-2016, 10:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,380 Likes on 1,607 Posts

I did not read tampamark's comment before posting. Yeah thats what I am talking about- whats with the jeep guys; the need to huddle is unusually strong with them. Its not like its a rare vehicle. Surely to god most of them are into girls.

Is it perhaps?? such a overt display of masculinity that one puts their guard down?

Old 06-02-2016, 10:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,166 Likes on 2,335 Posts

Funny, in all my years driving all of my Jags, I get more thumbs up from Bikers on Harley's than anyone. They get chatty if you're in Sturgis during bike week.

They also seem to be fans of Norton motorcycles.

An oddly specific acknowledgement and tolerance from a group not necessarily known for being tolerant of much.

Old 06-02-2016, 11:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 631 Likes on 409 Posts

Originally Posted by Queen and Country
The lack of camaraderie is sad on hand- but its to be expected if the stereotypical owner is elusive, exclusive, sophisticated and aloof. In someways she/he buys a jaguar to disappear.
I did not read tampamark's comment before posting. Yeah thats what I am talking about- whats with the jeep guys; the need to huddle is unusually strong with them. Its not like its a rare vehicle. Surely to god most of them are into girls.

Is it perhaps?? such a overt display of masculinity that one puts their guard down?
It is funny, you say the lack of camaraderie (huddling as you say) is sad for the Jag but uncomfortable in other instances. So you want to huddle with the Jag crowd but they ain't having it?

The Jeep has a cult following, not everyone, but those that participate are very passionate. Look at the prices, I bought my 2000 10 years ago with 100k in miles and I can sell it today for exactly what I paid for it 10 years ago. When you have group meets in Daytona (no, I do not go to that silliness) that pulls 20,000 Jeeps it is not a passing fancy or masculine meet, many Women own Jeeps also. I must say, the trips I have had 4-wheeling with other Jeep/Truck friends has been fun, but we were all good friends before the Jeeps. No strangers in the mix for us.

Even worse is the Harley huddlers, group rides, group trips, group meets. You won't find a larger crowd with camaraderie.

Last edited by tampamark; 06-02-2016 at 11:38 AM.
Old 06-02-2016, 11:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 651 Likes on 477 Posts

Actually, the Jeep has the highest % of homosexual drivers of any particular model. At least, it did several years ago. I'm not sure I can dig up the study again.

Queen and Country (06-02-2016)
Old 06-02-2016, 11:50 AM
Banned
Received 238 Likes on 180 Posts

And Harley's have the highest percentage of Chromosexuals

The following 2 users liked this post by Leeper:
Queen and Country (06-02-2016), ralphwg (06-02-2016)

Quick Reply: Cold shoulder from XKR owner