Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Considering a 2007-2009 XK

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2012, 08:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 482 Likes on 403 Posts
Default Considering a 2007-2009 XK

I am thinking down the road (6-7 months) from now of getting a 2007-2009 XK8 or XKR. I am more used to manual transmissions in sporty cars. However, in a GT car like the XK, I think an automatic with a manual mode would suffice.

I was curious how good the manual mode on the XK8/R is. I was really disappointed with the manual mode on my X350!!!

Does the manual mode on the XK8/R hold gears correctly??

Old 04-29-2012, 08:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 874 Likes on 633 Posts

The XK is my third flappy paddle box (Prior: 05 Audi A4, 06 Lexus IS350)
In comparison to those, the jag system is a dream.... Cant talk about any others, sorry.

Vince

Old 04-29-2012, 08:26 PM
Veteran Member

Interesting! Could you describe it? Is there a long delay between your inputs and it doing what you want it to do? Are downshifts smooth and quickly rev-matched, etc.?

Old 04-29-2012, 11:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 594 Likes on 422 Posts

Originally Posted by amcdonal86
Interesting! Could you describe it? Is there a long delay between your inputs and it doing what you want it to do? Are downshifts smooth and quickly rev-matched, etc.?
It is a rather versatile transmission as far as operating modes and shifting functions.

You can run it, of course, in full auto or, in DS sport-auto mode where the shift points will be according to your driving habits. It actually does a pretty good job holding the shifts for higher RPMs and downshifting multiple gears during breaking. All downshifts in DS and manual modes are rev matched and fairly aggressive.

The manual mode works very well. The shifts are sufficiently fast, faster than most other auto transmissions that I had driven before with manual shifters. You can activate the manual shifter by placing the shifter in the S mode and by making your first manual shift. Or, you can use the paddles even in full auto mode. In that mode it will return to full auto after a few seconds automatically. Or, you can continue using the manual paddles and when you're ready to go back to auto mode, hold the upshift for 3 seconds to exit manual shifting mode.

Albert

Old 04-29-2012, 11:59 PM
Veteran Member

As axr6 points out, it is a very competent transmission in both normal and sport mode.
In normal mode, the shifts are pure silk, and the AI (software) very well thought out for daily driving. You will be very pleased with every day use.
Kick it over to DS and the tempo picks up dramatically. Obviously tied to lateral sensors on the car as well as engine management, whoever they got to program the TCM was most certainly a driver. It is simply done very very well.
Manual shifts are stated to be within 600 milliseconds, where the Audi was an annoying 2 seconds and the Lexus not a lot better at something close to 1.5sec. The slow shift of Audi and Lex made the paddles nearly worthless for anything but pre-planned overtaking, and deceleration on off-ramps.

I dont believe the ZF is considered a Direct Select, but I suspect it is as close to one you can get without the DS maintenance headaches.

Would I rather have super fast DS shifts? Certainly. But I can attest that under 600ms is still a darn fine box to play with in the twisties and very useable.

So... To date 35+ year of driving and about 18 cars, I an honestly say I love this "slush box". They simply did a stunning job.

Vince

Old 04-30-2012, 06:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

Sport mode on XJ and manual mode is not even a fair comp to the XK's transmission.
Totally different can of worms. The XK's transmission does what you want it to do and Sport setting is much more noticable than on the XJ.

Old 04-30-2012, 07:33 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
Sport mode on XJ and manual mode is not even a fair comp to the XK's transmission.
Totally different can of worms. The XK's transmission does what you want it to do and Sport setting is much more noticable than on the XJ.
I was hoping this was the case--from what you guys say, sounds like the transmission is very fitting for a car like this!

I'm hoping a 2007-2008 XK will be in the low $30k range by November/December timeframe. Do you think this is a possibility? I think I want one with under 40k miles and in mint shape!

Right now prices are hovering around $37-40k for what I want, but I can't tell if this is due to convertible season or not.

Old 04-30-2012, 07:42 AM
Veteran Member

I'm hoping a 2007-2008 XK will be in the low $30k range by November/December timeframe.
$30K is a fairly reasonable expectation (My Coupe was $31.5K last Dec.), One thing I see is that many owners watch autotrader or cars.com and buy over the internet from a reputable dealership. Lots of good prices on cars you can fly to and drive home, and it opens up your hunting area for the perfect car.

Fleabay lists alot as well, but I have yet to talk to anyone who bought one from there.....

BOL
Vince

Old 04-30-2012, 07:50 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by CleverName
$30K is a fairly reasonable expectation (My Coupe was $31.5K last Dec.), One thing I see is that many owners watch autotrader or cars.com and buy over the internet from a reputable dealership. Lots of good prices on cars you can fly to and drive home, and it opens up your hunting area for the perfect car.

Fleabay lists alot as well, but I have yet to talk to anyone who bought one from there.....

BOL
Vince
I have bought from dealerships remotely in the past. In fact, I bought my X350 sight unseen (or at least negotiated it). It turned out it had been wrecked previously, which was OK with me, but became a pain in the *** when trying to trade it in.

Do you think I could get an XKR for $35k if XKs are around $30k in the fall/winter?

Or could I get a 2010 model XK for $35k? It seems like the standard XK would be slower than my current Mustang V6, but that doesn't really bother me, as I feel once you get to a certain point on a street car, it's all about the same. I'm more interested in getting the growl of a V8, but it would still be nice to have something as quick as what I have now!

Last edited by amcdonal86; 04-30-2012 at 07:56 AM.
Old 04-30-2012, 07:53 AM
Veteran Member

I guess my point about buying online is that I'd be more comfortable buying on eBay because there are many more protections I feel. For example, if the car isn't as you expected, the dealership's eBay reputation is on the line, as bad feedback can have a big effect on their eBay sales.

Old 04-30-2012, 08:00 AM
Veteran Member

You should be looking at 35K+ to get the examples worth holding on to IMO.

Old 04-30-2012, 08:11 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks. I have a trade-in--what do you think is the best strategy for getting a good trade-in appraisal? I've tried CARMAX appraisals before and they don't seem that far off the mark, but are nevertheless not great. Seems like when I traded in my X350 for the purchase of my Mustang, I got a good deal on the trade-in.

With the Mustang, I owe approximately what it's worth (I just got it September 2011), so hopefully in December I will have a little positive equity, although I doubt I'll have much. But it all depends on what the trade-in valuation is. I think with the current market, dealers are really slim on used car inventory, especially used cars between 1 and 3 years old, so hopefully I can play off of this to my advantage.

Old 04-30-2012, 08:12 AM
Veteran Member

mosesbotbol, I see you came from an X350 VDP. How do you think the XK compares?

Old 04-30-2012, 09:23 AM
Received 141 Likes on 82 Posts

In sport / performance mode, the transmission will NOT automatically upshift, even at redline. She'll hold the gear... that was actually an important factor for me.

Old 04-30-2012, 09:54 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Rahtok
In sport / performance mode, the transmission will NOT automatically upshift, even at redline. She'll hold the gear... that was actually an important factor for me.
Fantastic! That's what I want to hear!

Will it downshift if you mash the pedal in a high gear?

Old 04-30-2012, 12:47 PM
Veteran Member

mosesbotbol, I see you came from an X350 VDP. How do you think the XK compares?
Outside of the location of knobs and the like, they are nothing alike. I thought the XK was going to be like a coupe version of the VDP with its ride and steering and I was way off. XK is more like driving a Vette than VDP.

Visibility is 1000% better. No more blind spots from A pillar, easier to drive in traffic and sport mode really means something. Storage sucks ever with hatch back. Taking cargo cover off is not that easy or practical. Engine compartment is a lot tighter. Cooler wiper blades. Equally was well weather stripped and just as water tight. Seats heat faster and one or two more adjustments available. NAV is not as good. The simple directions on VDP were much easier to understand. The XK has too many NAV options and I have been lost a couple of times already. Alpine stereo is improved, and more stuff goes through the NAV screen than on VDP.

Body takes 40% less time to wash!

Old 04-30-2012, 01:49 PM
Veteran Member

Glad to hear that--I wasn't too keen on the way the X350 drove, although I did love the style and the character of it.

Sounds like I really need to go test drive an XK. But I'm afraid to, given that this "potential" purchase is still several months down the road.

Old 04-30-2012, 01:59 PM
Veteran Member

Glad to hear that--I wasn't too keen on the way the X350 drove, although I did love the style and the character of it.

Sounds like I really need to go test drive an XK. But I'm afraid to, given that this "potential" purchase is still several months down the road.
I first drove a new '12 and then an '07 to see the difference. I would suggest the same and do it early as it took me a few months before I found the "the one" and I bought it sight un-seen, but from a Jag dealer.

I did not get a warranty as the engine is just really good on these cars, and the air conditioning hose was just done. I broke even on the 3 year warranty I had on VDP, so I figure it'll be around same out of pocket this time around.

The XK does not seem to hold an alignment as well as the VDP did. In 4+ years, I had one alginment done and the VDP wasn't even out of alignment! The XK had an alignment done about 3K miles ago with new tires and is already slightly pulling to the left. Getting it redone in a couple of weeks by good performance shop.

Old 04-30-2012, 02:24 PM
Veteran Member

So how much of a difference is there between the '07 and '12?

Old 04-30-2012, 03:09 PM
Received 141 Likes on 82 Posts

If it's in auto it will. If it's in full manual it won't. About the only 'by itself' change it does in full manual is to set the gear to 2nd if you come to a complete stop. The car normally doesn't use first gear. It makes the most sublime noise to put it in manual, drop it to first and mash it then. Don't forget to upshift tho -- first doesn't last very long.

Quick Reply: Considering a 2007-2009 XK