XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

convertible compared to coupe

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2013, 05:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,180 Likes on 893 Posts

I am now on my second xk vert. I live in S Cal so I get to use it with top down 11-12 months a year. Granted some days it is too hot for the top to be down; but then the AC takes over and the car is basically quiet with the top up at freeway speed. My 2012 has a rear backup camera which takes care of the poor sight lines with the top up. The 2012 is very stiff no cowl shake and even in the LA are very few rattles and/or squeaks with 16k miles on the car. I use a lot of sun block and always wear a hat to cover the bald head whenever I am outside more than 10 minutes.

Finally, the look of the convertible is amazing. I get comments regarding the car at least two or three times a week. On the other hand whichever you choose, you will enjoy it.

Old 07-11-2013, 10:23 PM
Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by ralphwg
I am now on my second xk vert. I live in S Cal so I get to use it with top down 11-12 months a year. Granted some days it is too hot for the top to be down; but then the AC takes over and the car is basically quiet with the top up at freeway speed. My 2012 has a rear backup camera which takes care of the poor sight lines with the top up. The 2012 is very stiff no cowl shake and even in the LA are very few rattles and/or squeaks with 16k miles on the car. I use a lot of sun block and always wear a hat to cover the bald head whenever I am outside more than 10 minutes.

Finally, the look of the convertible is amazing. I get comments regarding the car at least two or three times a week. On the other hand whichever you choose, you will enjoy it.
Pardon me Ralphwg but can you post a pic of your head before the 10 minute time limit??? I bet it's flawless! And so is your car!! Use Coppertone Ultraguard Spray SPF 50! Fits in your gloveboxe. We have a wonderful car! Happy Driving!1

Old 07-12-2013, 08:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

Originally Posted by Byte Me
I did consider both and LOVED my S2000, even living in WI. Loved the looks I'd get on a sunny 35F day driving to work with the top down and the heaters BLARING. That car, however, was built for driving and looking at with the top down.

When it came time to make that choice on the XK I had to go coupe. The lines are just far too lovely - truly a thing of beauty. It's probably got the nicest *** of any car I've ever seen. After almost three months I still turn around and look at it EVERY time I walk away. No way I could have bought a 'vert and given that up. Even for drop top driving.
Same exact story for me with S2000 and XK Coupe.

Old 07-12-2013, 10:53 AM
Received 38 Likes on 14 Posts

Looks and how much use you'll get out of the convertible is pretty subjective, but I'll say this as a coupe owner... I'm 6'1 and there is no way I want to test the "extra safety" provided by the roof. There just isn't that much room up there, if I flip it my head is definitely going into the roof. I think you'd have to have a very specific set of circumstances in an accident for the coupe to be that much safer than the convertible. JMO.

Old 07-12-2013, 11:17 AM
Received 135 Likes on 108 Posts

I just came from two coupes and when I started looking at the XKR-S I knew it was time for a convertible. I like how the performance between the two is similar, where as most convertibles are much heavier than their coupe counterpart. This is not the case with the Jaguar.

I will say, I was pleasantly surprised at how well the top insulates the car from sound and the Houston heat. It honestly feels like a coupe with the top on, with the exception of the poor visibility from the rear angles.

But on those cool mornings or spring and fall seasons...there is nothing like dropping the top and hearing that exhaust. The convertible is my choice in the XK.

Old 07-12-2013, 12:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 874 Likes on 633 Posts

Another sad health concern for me and verts, is my family lineage seems to die from cancer. Grand parents, great grandparents as well.
My uncle pass many years back from skin cancer on his face gone bad. Now my dad has growths hacked off his face on a bi-monthly basis.

Sun is great for those without those hereditary worries, but we live with full brimmed hats, and SPF 50 as a way of life...grrrrrr

V

Old 07-12-2013, 12:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 482 Likes on 403 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce H.
Stop this lunacy...the XK vert is not only the most beautiful XK, but the most beautiful convertible by any manufacturer! The same was true for the XKE, or XKE vert with detachable hardtop roof on. I bought one of those for the look back in the day, but only drove it with all tops down it seems. The XKR vert has the best rear of any, and I do double and triple-takes when I walk away from it also.

Now I do acknowledge that the thoroughly carefree nature of the XK vert isn't suitable for some of you guys that by climate, need or choice have to have an impenetrable hard roof dome crowded over your head on a daily basis, and I do feel awfully sorry for you, but for those of us that drive it mostly for the pure pleasure of it all on nice days and evenings, the XK coupe, or any coupe, just can't compare. I'm just thankfully Jaguar also offers it in coupe form for the rest of you guys... and that the vert has a little switch to automatically raise the vert's roof for those odd times when it's desired

No problem getting it onto tracks for lapping days so far, with the factory deployable roll hoops meeting their safety requirements. Requirements may vary between tracks and event organisers. I've also found that the trunk and back seat provide lots of room for weekends away and shopping trips where we've really been able to load her up!

Bruce
People don't give the XK 'vert rear end enough credit. (Nor do they give the 2007-2009 rear end enough credit, for that matter!)

Attached Thumbnails convertible compared to coupe-img_20130526_113112_851.jpg  
Old 07-12-2013, 01:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 325 Likes on 201 Posts

^OMG, that's automotive ****...are you even allowed to post pics like that on this forum??? And Matt's right about dropping the top to fully appreciate the exhaus!t

Okay, so some naturally prefer one over the other for a variety of reasons, but there's one thing I've always wondered about...why do so many who like the sleek and sexy look of the coupe then turn around and change its appearance by lowering it, pushing out its wheels, changing the wheels, changing its trim, cover what they don't like in black plastic dip or just cover up the whole thing in vinyl, etc, etc? And some discover they don't like the sound of it either so they change the exhaust, and then change it some more. And where guys used to just sell a car they didn't like any more, coupe owners are now reportedly murdering theirs out of existence!

I think my XKR must be happy to have been built as a vert, we seem to be very happy together, and never moreso then when her four tires are screaming like raped chickens around the race track...always with top up for maximum safety

Bruce

The following 3 users liked this post by Bruce H.:
amcdonal86 (07-12-2013), Matt in Houston (07-13-2013), Muddydog (07-13-2013)
Old 07-12-2013, 01:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 482 Likes on 403 Posts

The XK is one of those rare convertibles that was actually conceived and designed as a convertible first. You can tell because the coupes actually are built from a convertible's tub, and then has the roof welded in (I believe that roof seam is possibly the only place on the body/aluminum chassis where there is a weld)--on the C pillar.

Of course, I'm sure I'm oversimplifying and getting some of the facts wrong, but it's still basically true...

Old 07-12-2013, 02:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 788 Posts

Originally Posted by amcdonal86
People don't give the XK 'vert rear end enough credit. (Nor do they give the 2007-2009 rear end enough credit, for that matter!)
Now here's a nice looking rear end.......click on the photo for a close up, but don't touch!

Attached Thumbnails convertible compared to coupe-2009jaguarxkrportfolioeditionshowcase065.jpg   convertible compared to coupe-2009jaguarxkrportfolioeditionshowcase057.jpg  

Last edited by richzak; 07-12-2013 at 02:39 PM.
Old 07-12-2013, 05:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,484 Likes on 907 Posts

I know beauty is in the eye of the beholder but I just don't see it myself. I think the vert is ruined by the lack of haunches especially with the roof down. The coupe has a very defined curve where the roof joins the body which then flows down over the rear wings.

Attached Thumbnails convertible compared to coupe-2009jaguarxkrportfolioeditionshowcase065.jpg   convertible compared to coupe-img_0109.jpg  

Last edited by u102768; 07-12-2013 at 08:56 PM.
The following users liked this post:
scm (01-24-2014)
Old 07-12-2013, 07:32 PM
Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by u102768
I know beauty is in the eye of the beholder but I just don't see it myself. I think the vert is ruined by the lack of haunches especially with the roof down. The coupe has a very defined curve where the roof joins the body which then it flows down over the rear wings.
Agreed. But to me the bigger difference is the profile shot. With roof both up and down, to me the vert loses the flow of the coupe in profile.

And, as a coupe owner who has lowered his car about 30 mm, and "pushed the wheels out" 20 mm all around, I do not believe I have done violence to my car or its looks. In fact, I think this is how it should have looked straight from the factory.

Finally, I have admittedly old, but almost reflexive, prejudices against verts in general, because of cowl shake, weight and track limitations at some tracks. Even though none of these seem to apply to the XKR vert

Old 07-12-2013, 08:07 PM
Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts

I think you're either a convertible person or you're not. I'm not and have never owned one (plus it's way too hot in Houston and if I need a fresh air fix I have my motorcycles where at least I can feel some wind blast).

I also like the look of the coupe better for the same reasons already mentioned here by others (and I also liked the XKE coupe better)--there just aren't many verts that look outstanding with the top up (kind of the nature of the beast and a trade off to have the ability to lower the top) and that's the way mine would always look if I had one, so it would be a waste. But then, that's what makes a horserace.

Does anyone have any figures on the sales of one vs. the other?

Old 07-12-2013, 10:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 788 Posts

Here are the sales figures for the Jaguar XK series.

Jaguar XK Sales Figures - GOOD CAR BAD CAR

The data table does not break down coupe vs convertible, but the overall sales numbers are quite low, thus making the XK/XKR quite a rare automobile compared to other brands. From reading other research, it appears the production numbers are about 50/50 coupes to convertibles in the XK line-up.

Within the text, you can find sales comparisons on what is classified as "premium sporty cars". The information and data is quite interesting. Mostly broken down by month to month figures.

Last edited by richzak; 07-12-2013 at 10:26 PM.
CleverName (07-12-2013)
Old 07-13-2013, 01:18 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I live in Dubai and love the rag top. I had a boxster before my xk and love the roof down. For 4 months or so it is just too hot, but rest of the year just great.

Simon

Old 07-13-2013, 02:38 AM
Received 493 Likes on 372 Posts

I was raised on the high plains of Texas. If I never saw another windy day it would be too soon for me. Convertibles are fun on occasion, but give me that climate controlled, surround-sound cocoon when I want to get away from it all!

As for the lines, I'll just say, "the hips don't lie."

Attached Thumbnails convertible compared to coupe-image.jpg  
scm (01-24-2014)
Old 07-13-2013, 08:01 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by u102768
I know beauty is in the eye of the beholder but I just don't see it myself. I think the vert is ruined by the lack of haunches especially with the roof down. The coupe has a very defined curve where the roof joins the body which then flows down over the rear wings.
Wow...I didn't realize the rear profile of the coupe and vert were practically identical until I saw your pics! l'm not sure if you were following one in dim light that you'd be able to tell the difference. I wonder if the XK owner that put wire wheels on his realized he could also put a '70's and '80's style vinyl Landau roof on it to make it look like a vert

But all kidding aside, the XK coupe does have very nice haunches, as do many of my favorite coupes going back decades. My '94 Supra TT has particularly muscular haunches, and were a big part of its styling appeal also. While many two seater verts are very attractive, even the high-end 2+2 verts are often awkward and pretty fugly. The XK vert when viewed from all angles presents itself as both elegant and muscular, and you can appreciate the pains that its designers went to make it so gorgeous...and such a standout in class.

Bruce

Last edited by Bruce H.; 07-13-2013 at 12:52 PM.
Old 07-13-2013, 08:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

Shooting from the hip, I think there are more XK vert's made than coupes.

Old 07-13-2013, 09:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,540 Likes on 1,411 Posts

I have enjoyed reading this thread all the way through. It reminds me of the old Miller Lite commercials with Billy Martin and Bubba Smith (Great taste, less filling!). As a first generation XKR vert owner who will probably add a current XKR coupe in the near future, I thought I'd weigh in. First, I can't take my convertible to most tract venues on track days with local clubs. Second, in the first gen. convertible, with the top retracted, you still have a trunk capable of carrying at least two sets of golf clubs, groceries, luggage etc. as it doesn't retract into the trunk. Try doing that with the current model (or any other current convertible). The coupe, both first generation and second has an undeniably beautiful profile from any vantage point. The convertible on the other hand, provides that wind through the (thinning) hair feeling that can only come from a ragtop. I think the only logical answer is to have one of each. As for the hips and haunches debate, there is simply no doubt that the first generation convertible's sensuously rounded hips and haunches ranks first on the sexiness meter followed by everything else, just take a look below and try and deny it.

Attached Thumbnails convertible compared to coupe-dscf0887-800x600-.jpg  
Jagkittycat (06-16-2014)
Old 07-13-2013, 10:06 PM
Veteran Member

Hips looks like a 10 out of 10! I'm guessing you don't have the built-in pop-up roll over protection of the newer model, and that may be a/the reason you can't do track events with it?

Last edited by Bruce H.; 07-14-2013 at 05:59 AM.

Quick Reply: convertible compared to coupe