XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

convertible compared to coupe

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2013, 09:04 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default convertible compared to coupe

Looking at 2010 or 2011 XK, and trying to decide whether to get a convertible or a coupe. I know a hardtop is safer, cheaper and a little quieter, but would appreciate comments from any that considered both. And comments as to how much safer.

Convertible experience: long time ago had 1997 SL500. Also had a 2003 Z4. Mercedes was noisy, but great looking [sorry guys, it looked better than the XK and better than the current SL550's]. I was ready to put the hardtop on when cold weather arrived to hear some quiet. z4 was much quieter, but was just too small of a car, and I never felt safe driving next to bigger vehicles such as a SUV. Now I am a little older and z4 is also too small for entry and exit.]

Thanks for your guidance.

Old 07-11-2013, 09:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 261 Likes on 183 Posts

I've had two convertibles...an XJS and an XKR.

Having a convertible is a very subjective thing...if you like to ride in the open air and live in an area where you can do this then the convertible is for you. There are slight differences in what you have to manage with the vehicle given the convertible top mechanism, but I never had any issues and the newer vert tops seem to be reliable.

You need to please yourself as to the choice...mechanically and quality wise there is very little difference between the vert and the coupe.

Old 07-11-2013, 09:52 AM
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I have wanted a nice convertible my entire life. But when it came down to actually pulling the trigger on my XKR, I chose the coupe. Honestly, this car has the most beautiful lines and curves I have ever seen, and the hard top really finishes it for me. The slope of the rear end is absolute perfection, and the feeling of total quality surrounding me when I climb in is beyond description. Just go touch that material in the headliner once and you'll understand. I still think the convertible XKs are gorgeous cars as well, and I always will. But ever since I saw my first XK back in '96, the coupe just blows my mind every time.

The following users liked this post:
scm (01-24-2014)
Old 07-11-2013, 09:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 482 Likes on 403 Posts

The X150's convertible top is very well insulated. It's almost like driving in a coupe when the top is up.

Jagkittycat (06-16-2014)
Old 07-11-2013, 10:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 874 Likes on 633 Posts

As pointed out, your location will weigh in the decision. I've owned verts in past lifes, and no longer crave them in wet Washington State.

Perhaps the one area often overlooked is the security of valubles... You learn not to leave anything of value in the car, as a pocket knfe makes quick entry and getaway assured.... The cost is two fold thanks to a slashed roof.

Having just returned from California and 116 degree heat, I would not have dropped a top even if I had one, and black roof would have kept the AC on high!

2cents!

Vince

Old 07-11-2013, 11:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 788 Posts

Originally Posted by rscultho
I've had two convertibles...an XJS and an XKR.

Having a convertible is a very subjective thing...if you like to ride in the open air and live in an area where you can do this then the convertible is for you. There are slight differences in what you have to manage with the vehicle given the convertible top mechanism, but I never had any issues and the newer vert tops seem to be reliable.

You need to please yourself as to the choice...mechanically and quality wise there is very little difference between the vert and the coupe.
I totally agree with these comments. In my decision on purchasing a Jaguar XKR I choose the convertible due to my area here in the southwest. I have lots of time to put the top down. We have little rain, and in the summer months, the convertible XKR top is well insulated and has a great interior ceiling. AC use has created no problems. In extreme heat which we get (95 to 105 degrees), the top stays up. The ride is quiet, and I really like the look of the rag top. I have no concerns about thieves slashing the top, I have insurance for that. The convertible provides a fun ride, great look, but does cost more, and seems to hold the value more than a coupe, from my research before making my purchase.

I view the coupe vs convertible as a personal preference based on style, and design. I am sure that you will get a vast amount of opinions here.

Go for what suits you best. As far as safety, which I considered, the XK/XKR convertible has angle telemetry that if the car turns at a list, roll bars in the back get extruded to provide a safety feature. After driving open wheel, open cockpit formula race cars for many years competitively I have no worries about rolling the XKR.

All in all, for me it was the rag top hands down. If I lived in a colder climate and rainy conditions I would have choosen the coupe. So geographical conditions played a major role in my decision. I have no worries about the top going up or down or having a failure.

Both coupes and verts look awesome on a Jaguar XK/XKR. Try to test drive the two models before making a purchase. I am sure that it will provide some real insight rather than a vast amount of opinions.

Whatever you choose, I am confident you will enjoy the ride. The XKR convertible is the best automobile I have ever owned, and I have owned lots of cars over the years.

Last edited by richzak; 07-11-2013 at 11:07 AM.
Old 07-11-2013, 11:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

One other point, IMO the aluminum bodied XK convertible has virtually no scuttle shake...it handles as solid as a coupe.

Old 07-11-2013, 11:38 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by richzak
As far as safety, which I considered, the XK/XKR convertible has angle telemetry that if the car turns at a list, roll bars in the back get extruded to provide a safety feature. After driving open wheel, open cockpit formula race cars for many years competitively I have no worries about rolling the XKR.
Just an "add-on" your comment brings to mind.
Many, if not most car clubs will not allow a convertable to partisipate in track day events without an aftermarket rollbar. Not saying this would be an issue for the OP, but I have had buddies actually buy, then sell their (BMW) vert after being denied access to track events.

more fodder for the brain thinking thingy and, uh...stuff...

V

Old 07-11-2013, 12:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 218 Posts

Two observations:

I have owned 2 convertibles in the past. The top was almost never down as I lived in hot climes and sunburn was a concern and air conditioning felt so good. (Northern Calif was too hot in the day and too cold at night). Even on nice days you feel compelled to put up the top when parked for security reasons and also to save the interior appointments.

I now have an XK coupe in central Fla. Backing up this car is a dangerous proposition. You just can't see much to the rear. I don't know if this is an issue with the convertible but this car needs a back up camera big time.

Soooooo, ya pays yo money an takes yo choice.

Old 07-11-2013, 12:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

If all you need to carry in the trunk is two pizza's, the convertible works great. Drive them both. I love convertibles and thought about getting one, but the storage is just too slight for me in the convertible. Great car in either style.

Old 07-11-2013, 01:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,122 Likes on 795 Posts

The convertible loses out on boot space and I believe the back seats are even less usable (if that were possible). You also add the complexity of the hood system from a maintenance perspective - not a big deal if you don't plan to keep the car for a long time. Quality-wise, they're the same.

I never seriously considered a convertible here in the UK - summer weather is good enough, but I avoid extensive sun exposure, so the top would only come down on summer evenings. It's hard to justify the extra cost for a few hours a year.

Old 07-11-2013, 01:16 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by CleverName
Just an "add-on" your comment brings to mind.
Many, if not most car clubs will not allow a convertable to partisipate in track day events without an aftermarket rollbar. Not saying this would be an issue for the OP, but I have had buddies actually buy, then sell their (BMW) vert after being denied access to track events.

more fodder for the brain thinking thingy and, uh...stuff...

V
Apparently Summit Point Raceway near here will allow you to bring a convertible to the track, provided it has a passive rollover system or ROPS. The X150 convertible does have this feature.

Old 07-11-2013, 01:18 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Ngarara
The convertible loses out on boot space and I believe the back seats are even less usable (if that were possible). You also add the complexity of the hood system from a maintenance perspective - not a big deal if you don't plan to keep the car for a long time. Quality-wise, they're the same.

I never seriously considered a convertible here in the UK - summer weather is good enough, but I avoid extensive sun exposure, so the top would only come down on summer evenings. It's hard to justify the extra cost for a few hours a year.
Actually, the back seats are MORE usable in the convertible. In the coupe, you have the problem of the sloping roof/liftgate crushing passengers' heads in the back seat. This problem does not exist with the convertible as the rear seat has a little more headroom back there. Not to mention that you could always put the top down.

Also, I don't think the back seat is that bad, as long as both the person in front and the person in back are around 5'5" or less (e.g., an average woman).

Old 07-11-2013, 01:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,122 Likes on 795 Posts

Originally Posted by amcdonal86
Actually, the back seats are MORE usable in the convertible. In the coupe, you have the problem of the sloping roof/liftgate crushing passengers' heads in the back seat. This problem does not exist with the convertible as the rear seat has a little more headroom back there. Not to mention that you could always put the top down.
Ah, OK - I must admit, my view was coloured by the XK8 convertible, where the back seats were definitely more vertical and thus there was less space between the back of the rear seats and the back of the front seats than in the coupe.

amcdonal86 (07-12-2013)
Old 07-11-2013, 02:07 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by amcdonal86
Apparently Summit Point Raceway near here will allow you to bring a convertible to the track, provided it has a passive rollover system or ROPS. The X150 convertible does have this feature.
It is obviously an insurance thing.. PCA, SCCA, Audi, and even my local club do not allow convertables without a full cage. Again I speak of track/lapping days, not quarter mile runs which I know nothing about. I'm sure there are a few that are still willing to risk allowing it, but they are a minority in my area.

Nearly all convertable cars made today incorperate a built in roll bar via reinforced window frames as a designed safty measure, the Jag just goes that one extra step!

V

Old 07-11-2013, 02:53 PM
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

I did consider both and LOVED my S2000, even living in WI. Loved the looks I'd get on a sunny 35F day driving to work with the top down and the heaters BLARING. That car, however, was built for driving and looking at with the top down.

When it came time to make that choice on the XK I had to go coupe. The lines are just far too lovely - truly a thing of beauty. It's probably got the nicest *** of any car I've ever seen. After almost three months I still turn around and look at it EVERY time I walk away. No way I could have bought a 'vert and given that up. Even for drop top driving.

scm (01-24-2014)
Old 07-11-2013, 03:25 PM
Received 59 Likes on 42 Posts

It started with the 1999 XK8 coupe I bought new. I saw the pictures of both the coupe and convertible in early 1996 and never really considered the convertible. The lines on the two cars were so different that I just felt the coupe version was more exotic looking. I feel the same way about the XK I own now. We have one convertible in the family, and I just feel it is a lot of trouble keeping the top clean. You don't want to leave the car under trees because of sap, bird droppings, etc. You have to put the top up to protect your property, and still somebody can get to it with a knife. The coupes are little lighter, little faster, get a little better gas mileage, and are cheaper to buy. I live in a region where the climate is brutal in the summer, and the traffic is also bad so it is no fun sitting in a convertible at a stoplight on 90 degree days. JMHO

scm (01-24-2014)
Old 07-11-2013, 03:52 PM
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I have a convertible, i love it.

Major point being: I live in Sweden.

Nuff said

Old 07-11-2013, 03:52 PM
Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

I have a hard top car. I've wanted a fun convertible for several years. You really do need to drive them both. I didn't because I wanted a convertible. Every time I get in my "new" vert I don't feel like I'm in a convertible. It is quiet believe it or not. With the top up of course. But you know what in a convertible you have the option. The car is just as luxurious on the inside with a soft top. And as others have said you need to consider where you live. Living in Florida we're in the middle of the rainy season but it doesn't matter because with the top up you don't feel like you're in a convertible. And as far as the storage you have the "trunk" but you also have the back seats and with the top down you just plop whatever you have back there. Oh and by the way I keep a can of Coppertone Ultra Guard spray SPF 50 in the the glove box!

Jagkittycat (06-16-2014)
Old 07-11-2013, 04:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 325 Likes on 201 Posts

Stop this lunacy...the XK vert is not only the most beautiful XK, but the most beautiful convertible by any manufacturer! The same was true for the XKE, or XKE vert with detachable hardtop roof on. I bought one of those for the look back in the day, but only drove it with all tops down it seems. The XKR vert has the best rear of any, and I do double and triple-takes when I walk away from it also.

Now I do acknowledge that the thoroughly carefree nature of the XK vert isn't suitable for some of you guys that by climate, need or choice have to have an impenetrable hard roof dome crowded over your head on a daily basis, and I do feel awfully sorry for you, but for those of us that drive it mostly for the pure pleasure of it all on nice days and evenings, the XK coupe, or any coupe, just can't compare. I'm just thankfully Jaguar also offers it in coupe form for the rest of you guys... and that the vert has a little switch to automatically raise the vert's roof for those odd times when it's desired

No problem getting it onto tracks for lapping days so far, with the factory deployable roll hoops meeting their safety requirements. Requirements may vary between tracks and event organisers. I've also found that the trunk and back seat provide lots of room for weekends away and shopping trips where we've really been able to load her up!

Bruce

Last edited by Bruce H.; 07-11-2013 at 04:19 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Bruce H.:
amcdonal86 (07-12-2013), D-end (07-11-2013), Jagkittycat (06-16-2014)

Quick Reply: convertible compared to coupe