XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Convertible top plastic slide part

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2014, 02:01 PM
Received 131 Likes on 96 Posts
Default Convertible top plastic slide part

Just purchased an 08 XK Convertible and there is a small plastic part that slides to meet up with the tonneau cover when the top is down. It is working on one side but not the other. I can see the cable (cord) is not connected. Is this a major issue to fix and would it be covered as a Jaguar CPO issue?

BTW, pictures to follow. Pick it up next weekend.

Thanks,

Old 06-02-2014, 02:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

Hi Dave...nice to see you on this side of the fence also!

It should be relatively minor and likely covered under warranty.

The following users liked this post:
DaveC (06-02-2014)
Old 06-02-2014, 02:54 PM

Thanks, that's what I thought. There's quite a difference between an 99 XK8 and a 08 XK!

Old 06-03-2014, 09:46 AM
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Congrats on the new car. You'll love it.

I have an '09 and I think I know the part you're talking about. It's a little flap with a string on it to pull it back in place when the top goes down. Can you tell if the loop that hooks around a little button type knob is still a loop or did it pull out? On mine the loop pulled out, but the string was still all intact. I don't remember exactly how the loop was formed, but I believe there was a little sleeve that was compressed on the string and the end was looped back into it. Make sense?? I fixed mine by removing the sleeve and replacing it with a small gauge wire splice and reforming the loop and crimping it. Been working for over a year. But, if warranty will cover it that would be easier.

DaveC (06-03-2014)
Old 06-03-2014, 06:20 PM

Thanks,
I'll take a closer look when I pick it up on Saturday. I didn't see a loop, just the cord with what looked like a bead on the cord. Perhaps that is the sleeve you mentioned. Reality is if the warranty covers it, the dealer can do it.
Dave

Old 06-06-2014, 10:30 AM
Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

I had that piece fixed under warranty when I had my 07 XK. Did not seem like it was a big deal to fix, but typically you have to wait for the part to arrive.

DaveC (06-06-2014)
Old 06-11-2014, 06:38 PM

Well, it looks like the CPO Warranty will not cover this as it is part of the convertible top. The cord has pulled out of the metal crimp that is still on the cord. Am I being overly cautious in leaving the top partially open so I can do this fix myself? The owners manual makes it look like a royal pain in the a** to reset the top if it is stopped part way. Any advice??

Old 06-11-2014, 07:36 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by DaveC
Well, it looks like the CPO Warranty will not cover this as it is part of the convertible top. The cord has pulled out of the metal crimp that is still on the cord. Am I being overly cautious in leaving the top partially open so I can do this fix myself? The owners manual makes it look like a royal pain in the a** to reset the top if it is stopped part way. Any advice??
You are right that the top might get out of sync if you stop it in the middle and turn the ignition off or simply start messing with it.

It however is not that big a deal to reset following the owners manual once you have done it once (and it is good to know how to do in a pinch). One hint though is that the instructions do not make clear is that once you move the pump to manual mode, you may need to wait up to 10-15 minutes for the system to depressurize before you will be able to move the top...so do not force it.

Last edited by WhiteXKR; 06-11-2014 at 08:52 PM.
38 Cigarette (02-11-2017)
Old 06-12-2014, 09:28 AM

Steve,
So if I leave the ignition on I will probably not have a problem and the worst case scenario is that I will have to manually reset it?
Dave

Old 06-12-2014, 09:40 AM
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

As I posted earlier I fixed mine and it wasn't a major PITA. I had the same problem, string pulled out of the crimp. I didn't have to reset my top. If memory serves I stopped it part way so I could see the routing of the string. Once I got the loop repaired using a small wire splice, I believe I removed the original crimp, I routed like the other side and hooked it around the knob. It has been working perfectly ever since.

Sorry, I don't remember if I left the ignition on or not.

Last edited by Terry; 06-12-2014 at 09:43 AM. Reason: addition
Old 06-12-2014, 09:53 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by DaveC
Steve,
So if I leave the ignition on I will probably not have a problem and the worst case scenario is that I will have to manually reset it?
Dave
Correct. Obviously you do not want to leave the ignition on without the engine running for more than 5 minutes or so or you will excessively drain your battery.

Old 06-12-2014, 11:06 AM
GWS
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
Angry Convertible Top Slide Cover

I have this problem with my 2007 XKR and the jaguar service center that looked to fix it said there was a broken bit way in the back that prevented it from sliding and caused the cable to break. Not covered by my extended warranty and the whole inside (right) side section has to be purchased to fix it. So I will live with it for a while until I find a salvage car to pull it from.

Love the workshop manual but the page for "Rear Quarter Trim Sliding Panel" indicates "No Data Available".

The following 2 users liked this post by GWS:
beasleee (10-03-2022), DaveC (06-12-2014)
Old 06-12-2014, 01:16 PM

Interesting. I does seem rather snug when I tried to slide it out manually. Looks like a Fathers Day project.

Old 06-12-2014, 07:41 PM

GWS - Think I solved your problem (well at least mine). The plastic part rides in two grooves. The front of the plastic part should be in the lower set of grooves. Mine had jumped to the upper groove. I carefully moved it to the lower groove and it moved easily. A couple of minutes for the splice as described by Terry. Started the car, lowered the top part way to see where to connect the loop and I was done. Maybe 10 minutes max. I will probably do the splice a little better this weekend to finish it up. My guess is that the loop breaks when the plastic part jumps into the upper groove. Hope it works for you.
Dave

Old 09-29-2014, 07:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Similar problem

Hello, I have a similar problem on the drivers side. The sliding plastic cover seems to get stuck and disconnect from the slide attached to the cable every time I re-attach and lower top. I can place it back in tracks but it seems to not want to stay in them and subsequently gets caught up. Any advice? Thanks!

Old 09-30-2014, 07:57 AM

What I found on mine was the upper track had a break in the track wall and the sliding part would hang up. I crazy glued a small piece of plastic to fill the gap and reinforced it with a small screw. Still working fine.

Old 10-01-2014, 06:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After a closer look that is exactly what happened to mine. How did you go about getting in there to glue on a piece of plastic to fix the problem? Thanks!

Old 10-01-2014, 05:15 PM

I put the top partially up/down with the engine running. The whole job took about 10 minutes. Steps:
1. Put the roof partially up/down and using a piece of cardboard fugure out what size piece of plastic you need.
2. Put roof down/up partially and cut your plastic.
3. Put roof down/up partially and test fit the plastic.
4. Make the final adjustments and glue to plastic piece in. I used a small screw to back up against the little plastic part I glued in.
5. After the glue drys test the movement by hand. I put in some white grease in the grooves.
6. Reinstall the loop on the roof assembly and test the roof action.

You should be good to go after that.

The following 2 users liked this post by DaveC:
beasleee (10-03-2022), FRGIII2014 (12-06-2014)
Old 11-24-2014, 08:00 PM
Received 52 Likes on 31 Posts

I've got that problem too, thanks for the advice.

Old 07-25-2016, 06:21 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default XK convertible moving flap problem

I have just bought a 2007 convertible and the blanking plate ( moving flap) to the hood mechanism on the left side was stuck open. The guy told me it had blown away! When I investigated it I found that the outer track in which the flap moves was broken at the end - a large chunk of the back plate holding the track is also missing. Stratstone. Cardiff have advised me that the track is only available as part of the quarter casing and comes at a cost of £836.80 + VAT. Has any one else had this problem and if so what caused the plate /track to break. Also any ideas on an alternative fix.

beasleee (08-21-2022)

Quick Reply: Convertible top plastic slide part