XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Convertible top won't go

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2016, 05:16 PM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Convertible top won't go

I recently acquired a 2007 XKR convertible.
After a lot of small electrical issues were straightened out I am still left with the top won't move. The biggest problem is the 2 back windows are stuck in the down position. I do have the luggage flap in place but still no movement at all
I read where the relays can be jumped to raise the back windows but I can't locate where they are.
Any help or guidance in completing step one ( getting the back windows up ) would be greatly appreciated.

Old 09-15-2016, 06:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,897 Likes on 1,286 Posts

Any warnings at all on your instrument cluster?

If there is, you need to address that first.

Try the window reset procedure:

1. Hold the window 'down' button for the driver side until the window is all the way down and you hear a click, continue to hold for a few seconds, then release.
2. Hold the window 'up' button for the driver side until the window is all the way up and you hear a click, continue to hold for a few seconds, and then release.
3. Repeat steps 1 & 2 for the passenger door window (operating from the driver side controls).

You can find this by searching 'window reset' on this forum.

If that doesn't solve it, you may need to do a reset of the top (search 'convertible top reset').

But before doing that, try holding the top 'close' button for at least 10-15 seconds, and see what happens. (If nothing, try the top 'open' button for a similar period of time.)

Old 09-15-2016, 06:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,183 Likes on 895 Posts

Get in touch with WhiteXKR, a member of this forum; his name is Steve Klonsky. He probably knows more about XK convertible tops and windows than anybody else. He has a business Jagwrangler.com. Steve invented the remote top and window controller.
In addition he is a nice guy. I strongly recommend him and his products.

The following users liked this post:
WhiteXKR (09-16-2016)
Old 09-15-2016, 11:08 PM

There are a couple warning lights ( hood latch and tire pressure ) both which are bad. I ordered those parts. No warnings regarding the top.
The back windows are part of the convertible top system so there's no switches for those.
I will look up the top reset procedure and I am going to contact the gentleman suggested to me.
I will post my results - thanks for the quick responses!

Old 09-15-2016, 11:29 PM

I didn't catch the fact the window reset procedure may be needed after all.
This is my first Jag and it's been a bit of a challenge to get up to speed.
I should have mentioned when I got the car I had to jump start it.
It hadn't been driven for months.
I did search for the top reset procedure but didn't see it. There was no owners manual with the car - I couldn't get it off the jaguar site. Any suggestions where I might download one?

Old 09-16-2016, 12:28 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Joepizzo64
There are a couple warning lights ( hood latch and tire pressure ) both which are bad. I ordered those parts. No warnings regarding the top.
If the warning said 'hood', that's British speak for 'top'. Our 'hood' is their 'bonnet'.

Do the window reset, and try holding the 'top' up/down button for an extended period of time.

There is a manual 'top' reset procedure but it is a pain, so hopefully you won't need to do that.

Old 09-16-2016, 12:32 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Joepizzo64
I didn't catch the fact the window reset procedure may be needed after all.
This is my first Jag and it's been a bit of a challenge to get up to speed.
I should have mentioned when I got the car I had to jump start it.
It hadn't been driven for months.
I did search for the top reset procedure but didn't see it. There was no owners manual with the car - I couldn't get it off the jaguar site. Any suggestions where I might download one?
Check the 'Handbook download' sticky at the top of this forum.

Old 09-16-2016, 12:52 AM

Ok that fact helps a lot - the hood latch error is the convertible top, guess I ordered a hood latch sensor for nothing.
I will download the manual and try the window and top reset procedures.
I tried holding the button down in both positions for quite a while. No luck there.
I will keep plugging away at it - thank you very much for your help

Old 09-16-2016, 01:26 AM

I ordered the complete manual set but it's coming from England. It's going to take a little while to arrive.
Can anyone point out where I can find the top reset procedures online ? I searched this forum but still not seeing it.
I am new to all this so I very well may have missed it.
I will say even with the weird anomalies this XK is an amazing car.
I look forward to getting it 100% completed

Old 09-16-2016, 02:05 AM
Received 333 Likes on 201 Posts

While most folks will not agree with my suggestion, I would recommend going to the Jaguar dealer for a couple of reasons. When I bought my 2007 xk coupe I wanted to know what was the overall 'health' status of my car.
So I went to the dealer and paid for a full diagnostics and a multi- point checkup. It cost about $135 and they found four things that needed to be addressed.
One of the issues was that my drivers seat needed to be recalibrated [it would not recline fully back]. They fixed that and the other issues as well. Since then I have been back for an oil change and I also had my front brakes and rotors done by them. They give me a nice Jag for a loaner car for free and their prices are not much different than the independent shops in my area. Plus I get it done right and I am not wasting my time. If you find that you are hitting a brick wall with your convertible top after trying all of the suggestions here, then I suggest the dealer. Not all of them are crooks trying to empty your wallet.

Last edited by michaelodonnell123; 09-16-2016 at 04:39 AM.
Old 09-16-2016, 03:41 AM

Trust me that the dealer option was always a consideration.
I appreciate the advice though.
The dealership here in Las Vegas has a stellar reputation.

Old 09-16-2016, 05:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,982 Likes on 2,123 Posts

Hi Joe-

I am almost certain that your top just needs to be reset.

I got your PM and responded. I have attached the Convertible Top section of the manual.

Please follow the top reset procedure on page 148. Then reset the windows.

Contact me with the information I sent if you have problems.

If your dead battery has just been jumped, it will probably need to be charged also, unless you drive the car a lot each day.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
convertible top.pdf (815.4 KB, 273 views)
Old 09-16-2016, 12:20 PM
Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

Hi Steve,

Mid-autumn festival has just past on Sept 15, and its time to enjoy the open air. But alas when I tried to open the top after several months of inaction due to the extreme summer heat, the rear quarter windows dropped, but I cannot hear the windscreen frame latches release sound nor the chime sound. I checked the 40-amp fuse for the roof pump which is intact.

What could it be that prevents my top from operating normally? The top raising relay maybe?

Please help.

Originally Posted by WhiteXKR
Hi Joe-

I am almost certain that your top just needs to be reset.

I got your PM and responded. I have attached the Convertible Top section of the manual.

Please follow the top reset procedure on page 148. Then reset the windows.

Contact me with the information I sent if you have problems.

If your dead battery has just been jumped, it will probably need to be charged also, unless you drive the car a lot each day.

Old 09-16-2016, 01:10 PM

After getting the car started and getting some of the other issues taken care of I have been driving it daily. The battery is fully charged. I did buy a battery tender for days I don't drive the car.

Old 09-16-2016, 01:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,982 Likes on 2,123 Posts

Originally Posted by Pristine97XK8Convertible
Hi Steve,

Mid-autumn festival has just past on Sept 15, and its time to enjoy the open air. But alas when I tried to open the top after several months of inaction due to the extreme summer heat, the rear quarter windows dropped, but I cannot hear the windscreen frame latches release sound nor the chime sound. I checked the 40-amp fuse for the roof pump which is intact.

What could it be that prevents my top from operating normally? The top raising relay maybe?

Please help.
Check that the fluid level in the pump is between the two embossed lines.

Perhaps one of the moderators can move this post: You have a '97 and this is the 2007 and later XK group with a completely different convertible top system.

The following users liked this post:
Pristine97XK8Convertible (09-16-2016)
Old 09-16-2016, 02:13 PM

My XKR is a 2007.
I checked the fluid level and it's right under the top line.
I am going to try the manual reset and hope for the best.
I will post my results.
I am really fortunate to have found this forum. Everyone is so very helpful.
As my expertise grows I hope to repay the favors.

Old 09-16-2016, 09:28 PM
Received 88 Likes on 76 Posts

so my battery was dead. replaced with a new one. did the window reset. the following is happening/not happening:

1) the passenger window works well...one touch down and one touch up

2) driver side window...one touch down but need to hold the window switch the entire time to make the window lift...no one touch up as in the passenger side

3) the radio pre-sets all work fine

4) the car will not start unless the smart key is inserted...it would normally start if the key was simply in the car

5) the top down process is odd:
-on the way opening, the front and rear windows will go down immediately
-the top then starts to open but then stops after opening about a three inches and then after about 10 seconds holding the switch constantly eventually opens fully and is stowed properly

6) The top up process is even more odd:
-When trying to close the top, the tonneau opens properly but the top takes about 10 seconds to actually start closing after 10 seconds of constantly holding the button
-it is very slow to close but does eventually close
-the small rear windows do eventually go up (close) after about 10 seconds while constantly holding the top button
-the passenger window then closes automatically but the drivers window does not go up automatically as it normally does when closing the top
-the drivers window can only be closed when holding the window switch

I find this very odd...and frustrating.

help!!!

Old 09-19-2016, 07:38 PM

Glad to report that the convertible top manual reset worked!
A special thanks to WhiteXkr for taking time to send me the procedure.

Thanks !

Old 09-19-2016, 08:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 788 Posts

Make sure you have ordered the correct TPMS if replacing all 4. Many aftermarket TPMS say they are compatible with the XKR and are not, you will have the warning light go on and off in the dash instrumentation panel.

Ordering any TPMS other than OEM sensors may drive you crazy, as the current TPMS have to be removed from the wheels and the new ones replaced.

I suggest the Siemens VDO 53001 TPMS for a correct fit and calibration to the XK/XKR learning system.

Old 09-19-2016, 08:53 PM

Thanks - I will do as you suggested.
All the warning lights are almost gone!

Quick Reply: Convertible top won't go