XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Cool XK Video End of an Era: Last of the V8s

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2018, 07:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 969 Likes on 654 Posts

Fuel consumption on the FFG I used to ride was something out of this world. 2 jet engines at 70% power all the time plus up to four 16 cylinder SSDG generating power. from what I read a couple years ago the US Air Force actually uses more fuel per day versus the Navy. US Military was @ 40% of US fuel consumption.

Considering how few miles my Jag will run per year and how long it'll be on the road I have no remorse buring old dinosaurs. Heck, my 78l mile '71 F350 with the Cummins swap has cost @ 1/10 as much to own the past 47 years.

Old 11-10-2018, 07:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,380 Likes on 1,607 Posts

Originally Posted by buddhaboy
one must factor in ALL the costs and effects of petroleum
The most relevant cost was omitted.
Oil is not utilized by anything in nature (precisely why there is trillions of it around)
Every other alternative we know of, comes at a massive of cost to something else.
Every ounce of sunlight, wind, water has been efficiently utilized by some species or the planet itself.
It could be argued that extracting energy from oil was our contribution to the planet.
We need to further evolve on making the process cleaner and more efficient, unless we know of another energy source that is not being used by the planet.

The following users liked this post:
Joachim1167 (11-19-2018)
Old 11-11-2018, 07:30 AM
Received 90 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Queen and Country
The most relevant cost was omitted.
Oil is not utilized by anything in nature (precisely why there is trillions of it around)
Every other alternative we know of, comes at a massive of cost to something else.
Every ounce of sunlight, wind, water has been efficiently utilized by some species or the planet itself.
It could be argued that extracting energy from oil was our contribution to the planet.
We need to further evolve on making the process cleaner and more efficient, unless we know of another energy source that is not being used by the planet.
I'm usually on board with your insightful postings, but this time you've lost me, especially on wind and solar as energy producers. Are you saying we might use too much sun depriving other systems of getting their share?

Old 11-11-2018, 08:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,894 Likes on 1,285 Posts

Are you saying we might use too much sun depriving other systems of getting their share?
That’s an interesting thought. What happens over the long term when you block the sun on hundreds, thousands, millions of acres of land? Land that was heated, is now shaded. What dies due to that, what thrives that didn’t before? Ecosystems disrupted again.

Old 11-11-2018, 08:27 AM
Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by kj07xk

That’s an interesting thought. What happens over the long term when you block the sun on hundreds, thousands, millions of acres of land? Land that was heated, is now shaded. What dies due to that, what thrives that didn’t before? Ecosystems disrupted again.
Don't freak out-we are not about to experience a shortage of solar radiation.

Old 11-11-2018, 10:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 5,160 Likes on 3,090 Posts

.... you mean like roads, parking lots, buildings? I sort of think that billions of acres have already been covered. Besides, a HUGE portion of Solar systems cover the roofs of buildings. Not much Eco System on top a roof. PLUS, doesn't the earth NEED a bit of cooling nowadays? And, a typical Solar Farm actually COVERS less than 10% of what land it 'occupies'. And they are usually on nearly non-fertile ground such as lake beds and such.

I don't think many people would install solar panels above their gardens or lawns.

Last edited by Cee Jay; 11-11-2018 at 10:37 AM.
Old 11-11-2018, 10:54 PM
Veteran Member

I'm usually on board with your insightful postings, but this time you've lost me, especially on wind and solar as energy producers. Are you saying we might use too much sun depriving other systems of getting their share?
We go to the same church
Yes. Every square inch of sun falling on this planet is being used by something that is producing oxygen, food and removing CO2. (other than on human construction). Moreover, vital to the ecosystem.
So its also irrefutable that further subtraction, displacement or alteration- will change the balance. And might even be the reason for it in the first place.

Oil is essentially the byproduct of those things that knew how to efficiently utilize the sun's energy.
Using the sun directly, is like removing an olive tree to install an acre of solar panels to make the slightly less synthetic olive oil.

We have to get our arms around the fact that we haven't even discovered how photosynthesis works- yet!
If we knew that we would not need solar power, we could make sugar from the sun and run our cars like we do now with highly compact refillable energy.

Last edited by Queen and Country; 11-12-2018 at 01:50 AM.
Old 11-11-2018, 11:16 PM
Veteran Member

Its about what you would have to do to even get the energy of a single days worth of oil we pump. (100 million barrels)
And one would need billions of tons of plastic to make the solar panels.
how about on our roofs...there is reason why we see more Teslas than homes with solar panels.

Last edited by Queen and Country; 11-12-2018 at 01:54 AM. Reason: typo
Old 11-12-2018, 12:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,894 Likes on 1,285 Posts

Originally Posted by tellcarl
Don't freak out-we are not about to experience a shortage of solar radiation.
Heh-heh, not freakin’ here. I’ll be long gone before ‘global cooling’ is taking us into an ice age.

Old 11-12-2018, 05:56 PM
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

It's too bad he couldn't capture the sound on the video a little better.
Editing this to add the video on my profile page which does capture the engine a lot better: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/m...er9000-177170/

Last edited by GhostRider9000; 11-12-2018 at 06:01 PM.