XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

"Custom" Clutter-Free Wireless Charging Pad

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2018, 11:35 PM
Received 230 Likes on 105 Posts
Talking "Custom" Clutter-Free Wireless Charging Pad

After noticing that my XK's ashtray area is an *exact* fit for my iPhone X, I came up with this 5-minute project that creates a secure, non-slip cradle that also takes advantage of the phone's wireless charging feature. Biggest challenge was finding a small enough charging pad, but once I found one, I just used some of my daughter's craft foam to create an insert that fits perfectly in the ashtray area. With a little tweaking, I think it should be possible to make it so that the sliding cover can still close when there is no phone in place. Don't know if the dimensions work for any other phone, but it is an absolute perfect fit for an iPhone X

Attached Thumbnails "Custom" Clutter-Free Wireless Charging Pad-img_0138-2-.jpg   "Custom" Clutter-Free Wireless Charging Pad-img_0188-2-.jpeg   "Custom" Clutter-Free Wireless Charging Pad-img_0180-2-.jpeg   "Custom" Clutter-Free Wireless Charging Pad-img_0180.jpg  

Last edited by Simon Tan; 04-14-2018 at 04:34 PM. Reason: Added a decal to make it an official Jag accessory :D
The following 5 users liked this post by Simon Tan:
jahummer (04-14-2018), Ngarara (04-14-2018), PulloutXJ (11-02-2020), ralphwg (04-14-2018), winstonsalemncxk (04-14-2018)
Old 04-14-2018, 07:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 545 Likes on 364 Posts

I'm android user myself but I think any mod (especially for convience) you like is a plus. This is one that really modernizes too? I say well done!

Old 04-14-2018, 09:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,164 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Originally Posted by pwpacp
I'm android user myself but I think any mod (especially for convience) you like is a plus. This is one that really modernizes too? I say well done!
Agreed and personally think all mods that change the appearance should be easily reverted to OEM.

Curious, does the ashtray close when the phone is not on the charger?

I think any additional mods to hide the phone while charging would require substantial cutting of the ashtray innards, so you might want to but one off eBay so you can always go back to OEM.

It's amazing how finicky new buyers are when it comes to Jaguars.

Last edited by Sean W; 04-14-2018 at 09:04 AM.
Old 04-14-2018, 03:47 PM
Received 230 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean W
Agreed and personally think all mods that change the appearance should be easily reverted to OEM.

Curious, does the ashtray close when the phone is not on the charger?

I think any additional mods to hide the phone while charging would require substantial cutting of the ashtray innards, so you might want to but one off eBay so you can always go back to OEM.

It's amazing how finicky new buyers are when it comes to Jaguars.
As one of those finicky owners myself, I can tell you the beauty of this literally 5-minute "mod" is that it's not really a mod, since reversing it simply involves lifting the foam insert out of the ashtray and unplugging the usb port from the lighter. As a non-smoker, the only downside for me is my loose change is harder to get to.

It shouldn't be hard to make it where the ashtray cover can slide over it when there's no phone, but I'll need to get a 90-degree USB adapter that would allow the pad to sit lower and flusher. Once I find one, I can tweak the foam cut-out so that it has slots to fit in between the dividers and sits flush enough to allow the cover to close. In the meantime, I found this cool Jag logo and printed a decal to go over the charge pad which I think doesn't look half bad "Custom" Clutter-Free Wireless Charging Pad-kyrnrjul.jpg

At any rate, I think it definitely beats this old arrangement:
"Custom" Clutter-Free Wireless Charging Pad-fwsiwqdl.jpg

Old 04-14-2018, 03:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,164 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Again, I agree. It looks great.

Old 04-14-2018, 05:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,180 Likes on 893 Posts

I have a Galaxy Note 8 which I use with Google Maps and the Torque app. In addition I have it set up to mimic the built in Android App which is available on 2018 and some 2017 cars; the android app starts automatically when I start the car.

The result of the above is I want the screen handy for viewing. I accomplish this by using a magnetized mount that fits into the CD slot. I find that the system works perfectly for me. Total cost including the mount, the Torque app, Android app and OBD reader is less than $35.

Old 04-14-2018, 07:13 PM
Veteran Member

[QUOTE=Simon Tan;
It shouldn't be hard to make it where the ashtray cover can slide over it when there's no phone, but I'll need to get a 90-degree USB adapter that would allow the pad to sit lower and flusher. Once I find one, I can tweak the foam cut-out so that it has slots to fit in between the dividers and sits flush enough to allow the cover to close. In the meantime, I found this cool Jag logo and printed a decal to go over the charge pad which I think doesn't look half bad[/QUOTE]

Ha Ha, that reminds me of a friend who purchased a new Vette last year. He threw his I phone on the nav screen shelf and forgot it when he shut the engine down. Long story short he now has an i-phone permanently lost in his behind the screen and was quoted $4K to fetch it out! A new phone was a better solution.

Old 04-14-2018, 07:17 PM
Veteran Member

@Ralphwg, What app are us using to launch your phone with? I've rooted an old Droid Razr Maxx that is running Torque and an app to shut it down when power is off but can't find a way to make the phone boot up when starting the car.

Old 04-14-2018, 07:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,180 Likes on 893 Posts

pw - Go to the Google Play Store and download and install the Android Auto app from there. Launch the app, press the menu button in the TL corner and select Settings. Scroll down and select Autolaunch , flip on the toggles for Autolauncdh and your cars Bluetooth connection. You can also turn on pocket detection so the app doesn't launch by accident.

The following users liked this post:
pwpacp (04-14-2018)