Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Customizing exterior trim colors

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2014, 03:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,252 Likes on 1,414 Posts
Default Customizing exterior trim colors

Recently made some changes to the exterior of the R coupe including rim color, gloss front grilles & headlight update (I posted picks in another thread but have since changed the headlights & will post picks of that soon). I am now left with the bright platinum trim which at first did not bother me but now I think I do need to change the color. Not a fan of blacked out trim so I came up with these ideas in gloss black & gloss red to match the gloss black headlights & grill and looking for opinions please and thank you!

Attached Thumbnails Customizing exterior trim colors-customtrim.jpg   Customizing exterior trim colors-customside.jpg   Customizing exterior trim colors-plinth2.jpg   Customizing exterior trim colors-plinth3.jpg   Customizing exterior trim colors-plinth4.jpg  

The following users liked this post:
MaximA (07-29-2014)
Old 07-27-2014, 04:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 590 Likes on 317 Posts

Ok, you asked for options, so don't get offended it's your car after all. Think the whole thing is a bit of a mess, red on your car doesn't' look right and bonnet vents wrong colour, chrome or carbon fibre better, sorry

The following 2 users liked this post by powerhouse:
jahummer (07-27-2014), ralphwg (07-27-2014)
Old 07-27-2014, 04:37 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by powerhouse
Ok, you asked for options, so don't get offended it's your car after all. Think the whole thing is a bit of a mess, red on your car doesn't' look right and bonnet vents wrong colour, chrome or carbon fibre better, sorry
No need to apologize. There isn't any carbon fibre anywhere on the car so I think the bonnet vents are out. And chrome is not my cup of tea either.

These are pics of my car I created in Photoshop and not certain how I like it either hence the call for opinions.

Old 07-27-2014, 04:46 PM
Received 59 Likes on 42 Posts

I like the gloss black grille with the red growler badge and red growler wheel caps would look good if they are not already on there (can't tell from the picture) - the other ideas not so much. It's your car though so whatever makes you happy. JMHO

jahummer (07-27-2014)
Old 07-27-2014, 05:24 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by v8cat
I like the gloss black grille with the red growler badge and red growler wheel caps would look good if they are not already on there (can't tell from the picture) - the other ideas not so much. It's your car though so whatever makes you happy. JMHO
As mentioned previously the grilles, headlights and wheels are done. The side power vents, bonnet vents and boot plinth are just mock ups and the final product will help (theoretically) to balance (minimize) the colors and contrast already on the car ( black grilles & headlights and red growlers on wheels & grille).

Perhaps if I could locate a carbon fibre air dam, rear diffusor, plinth, mirror covers, power vents & hood vents that would work?

Last edited by jahummer; 07-27-2014 at 05:26 PM.
Old 07-27-2014, 05:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,270 Likes on 875 Posts

Gooday. You might have seen my thread about wrap addiction. If I wasn't happy with what I already had in cf wrap (and I don't want to pull it off in case I cant get it right again), I'd probably start with a big roll of matt black wrap and do the vents (front and side) and a bit around the headlights in that and maybe the window trim as well, which I think would look pretty good. I used cf for the vents and I had some gloss black left over from the interior that I gave the headlights some eyeliner with. I think where I used gloss for the lights would have been better with matt, and I toyed with pulling it off and using matt for everything including the window trim but it meant buying the big roll (a small roll wont do it), and for something that was just a passing fancy I didn't want to shell out $250 on top of what I had thrown at wrap already.

The rear bar is a struggle. It is too big to cover with anything dramatic, so it looked terrible with full black or cf wrap on it. If I was to try anything, it would be just to black out the lower bit (like your third pic minus the red), which is what they did with the later model XFs.
This is mine

Attached Thumbnails Customizing exterior trim colors-001.png   Customizing exterior trim colors-016.jpg  
jahummer (07-27-2014)
Old 07-27-2014, 06:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 139 Likes on 95 Posts
Default C/F parts at Mina

Originally Posted by jahummer
As mentioned previously the grilles, headlights and wheels are done. The side power vents, bonnet vents and boot plinth are just mock ups and the final product will help (theoretically) to balance (minimize) the colors and contrast already on the car ( black grilles & headlights and red growlers on wheels & grille).

Perhaps if I could locate a carbon fibre air dam, rear diffusor, plinth, mirror covers, power vents & hood vents that would work?
TALK TO CHRIS AT MINA he has all you want In C/F.
I have some on my XKR ,just waiting for Front and rear defusers , He is also in the process of making the tonneau cover for my rear seat delete in C/F. If you like C/F There is no comparison between Wrap and the real thing, Iv'e tried it . Bernie.

Attached Thumbnails Customizing exterior trim colors-dsc03139.jpg   Customizing exterior trim colors-dsc03151.jpg   Customizing exterior trim colors-dsc03374.jpg   Customizing exterior trim colors-dsc03368.jpg   Customizing exterior trim colors-dsc03445.jpg  

Customizing exterior trim colors-dsc03191.jpg   Customizing exterior trim colors-dsc03100.jpg  
jahummer (07-27-2014)
Old 07-27-2014, 06:38 PM
Veteran Member

SORRY FORGOT, He is also in the process of making some sort of headlight lids ?? no photos yet. I also asked him about the rear wheel arch protectors in C/F for wider wheel stance, if we can get enough interest.

Old 07-27-2014, 07:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,541 Likes on 1,412 Posts

My 2010XKR is currently in the shop having a number of cosmetic upgrades done. Exterior is silver, and I have ordered red wheel caps to replace the black ones, plus the red growler for the grill as yours is. Additionally, on the side vents on which the supercharged label was previously painted black, I will be painting the indented lettering in red as well. I already have the red caliper option. I am also looking to do something with the hood scoops, just haven't decided what yet. Yours are very interesting, and I'll consider that route.

Attached Thumbnails Customizing exterior trim colors-dscf1187-1280x960-.jpg  
jahummer (07-27-2014)
Old 07-27-2014, 07:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

I dig the front, the hood, the side isn't band, but hard to find that right one for the back. I'd just paint the jaguar strip the color of the car and call it a day.

jahummer (07-27-2014)
Old 07-27-2014, 08:45 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by sherbercars
TALK TO CHRIS AT MINA he has all you want In C/F.
I have some on my XKR ,just waiting for Front and rear defusers , He is also in the process of making the tonneau cover for my rear seat delete in C/F. If you like C/F There is no comparison between Wrap and the real thing, Iv'e tried it . Bernie.
If I was doing C/F I would not do the wrap. I know Chris well and have spoken with him but he takes a while to make custom parts, understandably so. He told me about the headlight trim a while ago and have yet to see them but I updated mine with LED DRL "V" on the sides like the 2012+ (pics coming soon) so those would not work anyway. I don't think he has plans for the plinth. Speaking of DRLs I have seen your thread for the custom ones you made and was thing of asking if you would consider making another set though I'd prefer body color.

Old 07-28-2014, 01:19 AM
Veteran Member

If I was doing C/F I would not do the wrap. I know Chris well and have spoken with him but he takes a while to make custom parts, understandably so. He told me about the headlight trim a while ago and have yet to see them but I updated mine with LED DRL "V" on the sides like the 2012+ (pics coming soon) so those would not work anyway. I don't think he has plans for the plinth. Speaking of DRLs I have seen your thread for the custom ones you made and was thing of asking if you would consider making another set though I'd prefer body color.
Hi. I have already offered to send Chris ( mina ) the mould and idea of the DRLs, and they could quite easily be fitted in the original fog light cover by removing the small grill, and if there was enough interest Im sure he would take it on, And I will still pas it on to him. AS for making them myself , it is just a hobby and I have, no desire or facilities to go into business making any of my different Ideas ,but to just pass them on for other members to enjoy, Sorry
By the way I dont ask for any monetary payment , but I do like to receive one when produced, as I am sure they will be more profesional than I can make. If you or others are interested please phone Chris at Mina. Thanks Bernie. Please post photos of your LED DRLs V.

jahummer (07-28-2014)
Old 07-28-2014, 01:45 PM
Received 134 Likes on 102 Posts

Have you thought of painting the trunk the body color where the chrome is? That would clean it up significantly.

Old 07-28-2014, 03:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,122 Likes on 795 Posts

The recommendation I always see on here is to use Plastidip to try out the colour treatments you're considering - then you can peel it off if you don't like the effect, If you do, after you've lived with it, then replace it with something permanent.

jahummer (07-28-2014)
Old 07-28-2014, 06:07 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by R_Rated
Have you thought of painting the trunk the body color where the chrome is? That would clean it up significantly.
Only chrome on the rear is the XK & R emblems

Old 07-28-2014, 06:10 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Ngarara
The recommendation I always see on here is to use Plastidip to try out the colour treatments you're considering - then you can peel it off if you don't like the effect, If you do, after you've lived with it, then replace it with something permanent.
No experience with plastidip myself but a couple of custom shops I know say plastidip is not as easy to remove as indicated and can possibly cause issues with the material it is painted on.

Even if I painted, it would be just as easy to change the color with another coat of paint.

Old 07-28-2014, 06:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,122 Likes on 795 Posts

Fair enuff, never tried the stuff myself - not even sure it exists on this side of the water

Old 07-28-2014, 06:48 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by BruceTheQuail

The rear bar is a struggle. It is too big to cover with anything dramatic, so it looked terrible with full black or cf wrap on it. If I was to try anything, it would be just to black out the lower bit (like your third pic minus the red), which is what they did with the later model XFs.
This is mine
Like this? Something about it just does not look right.

Attached Thumbnails Customizing exterior trim colors-colorplinth.jpg  
Old 07-28-2014, 06:54 PM
Veteran Member

And the power vents instead of black with red accent, body colored with black accent.

Attached Thumbnails Customizing exterior trim colors-powervent.jpg  
Old 07-28-2014, 07:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,270 Likes on 875 Posts

Like this? Something about it just does not look right.
Yeah, I think if it was done the black would be a touch thicker, because it would follow the hump in which is a little curved. Google 2012 XKR rear images and you'll see what I mean. But it might be a little stark against the silver, unless your plates had black frames as well.

jahummer (07-28-2014)

Quick Reply: Customizing exterior trim colors