XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Debating between C6(LS3) or XKR

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2016, 11:26 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Debating between C6(LS3) or XKR

So I just got a big promotion and want to upgrade cars, for about a year I have been in a toss up between a 2008 or newer corvette, and the xkr coupe. Price range $30-40,000. I would drive this car daily, I was leaning toward the vette until I got promoted to salesman just barely at... Jaguar Land Rover 😂 Now I think the XKR makes a lot more sense. Just wondering what ownership is like, etc.

Old 10-23-2016, 11:40 AM
Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

I think over here, you will hear nothing but praises for the XK(R).. while the corvette, is like a rocket booster on wheels, it goes pretty good in a straight line.. it's powerful and its full muscle american.. including (and here comes the bonus points for the XK).. the plastic interior, the rubbish detailing and such.. let alone the cornering..

the XK(R) is a more refined car, with leather interior, a very luxurious feel and touch.. and a more refined finesse in the engine, handling and breaking.. its the difference between dancing with a 'fun' girl and the "girl" next door type of thing.. yes the fun girl is nice.. but very tiring after an hour or so.. the girl next door has the finesse, she looks waaay better (even in the long term) and can satisfy you on the long term too.. (hope i did not cross a line here..), cornering it is like a hot knife going through butter.. throw it left, right left.. and the kitten will follow you.. without any hesitation.... the Corvette however.. I had the pleasure to drive one for 10 days.. and yes.. it was nice.. but cornering on Yosemite.. I would have loooooved my XK on those roads..

I always take the Top Gear episode (in 2007) where the first XK was tested as the ground rule.. It is (I believe) the ONLY car, that was received so well by Jeremy Clarkson.. it has to be good.. - keep it under a 130mph or so.. and you are absolutely going to love it!.. - and so far.. my XK'07 has not dissapointed me.. in fact.. I recently bought my 2nd XK ('13) (so yes.. I know own two.. one in NL one in UAE)
(ps the 130mph or so problem has been fixed ever since..)

But .. with every purchase.. its about how you feel, what you think of it and if you see yourself in such a car.. I'd say .. test drive it!.. and you will notice why there is a huuuuge price difference between the two..

personally.. I like the XK.. it has a smooth ride.. the engine sound is amazing (yes better than the F type V8@550bhp IMHO).. and I actually prefer it over the XKR that I've driven (as the suspension was more tense.. and since Abu Dhabi Dubai is like a 1.5 hours drive.. I prefer cruising over a sporty drive)

But many on this forum will tell you to go for the XKR.. It has more power, more muscle and outweighs (not in terms of Kg/Pounds) the Corvette in every aspect..

Last edited by Parzival; 10-23-2016 at 12:33 PM.
Old 10-23-2016, 12:08 PM
Received 198 Likes on 140 Posts

I agree with Parzival, it's a decision of whether you want to blend with the crowd or stand out. We went to a local car show yesterday, it was an open class so there were about 300 cars there of all makes and models. There were 26 Corvettes and 1 X150 XKR. Also, if I understood correctly, you work for a Jaguar dealer, I would think it would not be cricket for the newest salesman to show up in a Corvette.

Old 10-23-2016, 12:33 PM
Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

WT...?? Lol. No comparison. The finesse of the Jaguar makes it a perfect daily driver. In my opinion, you would be better served owning an XK especially in your line of work. You will learn so much about the product you are selling and your customers will appreciate it!

Old 10-23-2016, 12:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 631 Likes on 409 Posts

I wouldn't worry about the car you drive. Most of the Tampa Jag guys have decked out jeep wranglers.

You already have the promotion so don't worry about peers. Customers who buy a jag aren't going to worry about your personal choice.

I don't think I have ever ask the salesman what car he drives. First reason is I don't care, the second reason is I don't make my decisions based on what other people drive.

The following users liked this post:
Sean W (10-24-2016)
Old 10-23-2016, 02:22 PM
Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Parzival - after 1 x C5, 4 x C6 (two LS2, two LS3) I am driving since 2 years one of the last XKR an I am with my two old ladies 57`C1 and 65`C2 still in love with Corvette.

The Corvette is no comparison with the XKR - I changed to Jag, because the C7 is for my opinion to spacy.

The Corvette with LS3 engine is a beast, a drive machine, much more sports car than the XKR. The XKR is an GT, not a sports car.

If you like to drive on track as fast as a Porsche around the corners - take the Corvette, if you like to drive a comfortable GT with heated steering wheel, a.s.o., take the XKR. On track the XKR is not able to bring the power to the road - not heavy enough on the rear wheels. The Corvette has the weight of the Diff between the rear wheels.

And if you look on liter of petrol you need per 100km, take the Corvette. 20% less than the XKR.

Last edited by thocar; 10-23-2016 at 02:25 PM.
Old 10-24-2016, 05:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 651 Likes on 477 Posts

I personally couldn't include the 'Vette in my car search because of things that went down with GM and the U.S. Government.

The XKR will be no match in handling for a 'Vette. My XK is not the worst handling car I've driven, but its only a step above a heavy pushy FWD sedan.

After driving the XK with DSC off for a few days, I adjusted my driving technique to better suit it, and stopped making the DSC angrily light up. I have a go in slow, turn in later, and feed on power early approach from years of karting. The Jaguar approaches faster than my Porsche, then I scrub speed through the corner to the mid point, feed a tiny amount of power, and never really open up until the corner is finished.

I chose a 2009XK over a Porsche 911 primarily for reasons of low maintenance schedule, and convenience of dealer location that the Jaguar offered over the Porsche.

The XK's chief problem with me completely satisfied is the slush box transmission. Not having the engine RPM match what the drive train is doing causes a loss of driver feel and connectivity.

Second issue is the dash electronics move very very slowly. Third some of the interior parts do not like southern US heat. I've had some small plastic parts not hold up. The covers for the baby seat hooks expired and broke apart.

Fourth, the handling balance doesn't get good corner exits. It does however get very nice acceleration off the line without any hopping or skipping.

I would only go for the Jaguar if it is throw away money, even though it may be a solid reliable car, if something does go wrong, its ouch time in a big way. Major work could cost the current used value of a decent driver condition car.

Old 10-24-2016, 05:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

Vette is better pure sports car. The Jag is just better constructed car.

Old 10-24-2016, 08:18 AM
Received 442 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
Vette is better pure sports car. The Jag is just better constructed car.
I think Mattel did a fine job on the Corvettes' interior!

I think my car says something about me. Some owners don't care. I do. I know what I think when I see a Corvette owner. That's why I'd never own a one built after 1967.

To each his own.

Old 10-24-2016, 10:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

Originally Posted by flyc2c
I think Mattel did a fine job on the Corvettes' interior!

I think my car says something about me. Some owners don't care. I do. I know what I think when I see a Corvette owner. That's why I'd never own a one built after 1967.

To each his own.
You won't catch me (figuratively) driving a Corvette; not the image I am looking for either. You may not catch my literally in a Vette as they can be quite fast! Neighbor has a Grand Sport edition and sounds cool, but just isn't my cup of tea. I'd take my Evora over it any day...

To the OP, if you are looking for a pure sports car, why not go for an Evora? Much more fun and cooler than a Vette. Would be more at home if you are working at JLR dealership.

Old 10-24-2016, 11:21 AM
Received 333 Likes on 201 Posts

I would not get either of your choices, instead I would recommend an XK coupe. It is a beautiful car with a very handsome interior and it is extremely comfortable with more than enough power on tap when you want it. A true classic with timeless looks. This car has it all as far as I am concerned. Or get an Aston Martin. Leave the Corvette for the old men wearing tank tops and gold chains.

Old 10-24-2016, 11:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 631 Likes on 409 Posts

So, it is a resounding YES to the Jaguar. Big surprise on an X150 Jaguar forum. If you asked the same question on the Vette forum I would expect the same tsunami of responses to buy a C6.

Let us know what you decide, don't worry about all the stigma's and stereotypes and get what you makes you the most happy.

mosesbotbol (10-24-2016)
Old 10-24-2016, 01:25 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey JakeO,I have a 2010 XKR Coupe Black on Black with around 37.500 mi on it it's in excellent condition plus I have an extended warranty until Feb or March of 2018 or 84.000 mi the warranty also covers tires and rims,car is up to date on all maintenance with records I'm the second private owner (not a dealer's fleet or lease return car).I'm looking to get around $38.500,if you're interested please contact me at paulnoh@yahoo.com or 201-741-7414 car is located in Bergen County NJ

Regards

Old 10-24-2016, 02:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,168 Likes on 2,336 Posts

I've gotten many a promotion over the years, some huge ones at that.

I think the most I did to celebrate is some fine dining.

Never have I used the "yet to be paid/earned promise of a possible commission in a new job", joined a Jaguar forum and asked members if I should buy a corvette or an XK.

Me thinks we have a troll in our midst. To what end, I don't know.

Old 10-25-2016, 02:59 AM
Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Tervuren
...some of the interior parts do not like southern US heat. I've had some small plastic parts not hold up. The covers for the baby seat hooks expired and broke apart.
Maybe you are doing something wrong.. my '07 XK seems to handle Dubai weather fine.. and not sure about your heat waves.. but Dubai is up to 52C in summer.. and between July and Sept.. it does not get lower than 45C in the evenings.. (48-52 during day)

Old 10-25-2016, 05:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 733 Likes on 469 Posts

Things that make you go hmmmmm. You are starting a new job at a Jag dealership and are not sure if you should buy a Vette instead of a Jag. Hmmmmm.

Last edited by 1 of 19; 10-25-2016 at 05:18 AM.
mosesbotbol (10-25-2016)
Old 10-30-2016, 01:28 AM
Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

New to the forum and very interested in the 150,, but have to defend the Vette. I also have had an 85(C4) with a very beefed up suspension that outhandled 95% of the cars on the road, a 98(C5), and a 2005(C6).

Have to chuckle at the stereotypical comments.
The XK(x) and the Vette are two different cars aimed at two different audiences.
Have to comment on the C6 is a great straight line ... Sorry but the C6 will simply blow away the XK in handling. I have driven both on the track(Laguna Seca) and the Vette simply out handles and out accelerates the XK hands down.

Old men in chains... LOL Definitely true in the 70's but not anymore. The current owners are more into Autocross and track time than doing car shows, disco and showing off their gold chains and giant belt buckles.

To the OP you need to get the Jag with your employment situation.

Now that I have irritated and caused consternation with my second post, the 150(XK) is my car of choice. I simply love it's look, the handling and the luxury it provides. " I just need to find the one for me.

Old 10-30-2016, 08:24 PM
Received 442 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by Grzldvt
Old men in chains... LOL Definitely true in the 70's but not anymore. The current owners are more into Autocross and track time than doing car shows, disco and showing off their gold chains and giant belt buckles.
Haven't been to the south lately?

Old 10-31-2016, 12:26 AM
Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

Point taken