Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean W
Tom post a pic once they are in-situ please
Will do!

Old 08-30-2019, 04:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 671 Likes on 334 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom0529
He's not selling retail, he's only selling wholesale. For the skeptics, I said I would have the other side by Monday, but we've got a hurricane on it's way so I'm told probably Wednesday. I will send pics once installed.
So now that he has spent all this money and time no doubt for molds, and is able to reproduce these vents he doesn’t want to sell them to the people that possibly need or want them... Great business model.... Tom I hope you get your vents and I hope they look great...

Old 08-30-2019, 05:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,176 Likes on 2,342 Posts

He's not selling retail, he's only selling wholesale. For the skeptics, I said I would have the other side by Monday, but we've got a hurricane on it's way so I'm told probably Wednesday. I will send pics once installed.
Understood about the hurricane but he's not just selling wholesale (eBay). There aren't enough of these cars in existence to only sell those to dash upholsterers.

A lot of X150 owners won't do anything on their own and always use a service, but not to just replace plastic bits. If the dash is otherwise fine (most of us) and only the vent's need replacing, retail makes more sense. Upholstery shops can maybe get a discount and then markup like most retailers do.

Most of us balked at anything over $50 per side. I said $75. You were happy with $300. $150 didn't meet his reserve. If you're in touch with him, you might want to point him to this thread. He could also list on this site and skip eBay's 10% keep. Just saying.

Anyway, looking forward to the pics. I hope the Hurricane is kind this time around.

The following users liked this post:
Tom0529 (08-30-2019)
Old 08-30-2019, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by TexasTraveler
So now that he has spent all this money and time no doubt for molds, and is able to reproduce these vents he doesn’t want to sell them to the people that possibly need or want them... Great business model.... Tom I hope you get your vents and I hope they look great...
I'm not going to question someone's business model because it doesn't suit my needs and I suggest you follow suit. I actually met him this afternoon and he's a nice guy. He's actually sold several parts to various manufacturers and eBay is a useful tool to gauge retail. As for selling to those who need them, well wouldn't you agree those who need them will actually get them when purchased from Jaguar or a parts supplier in the future. I understand his lack of desire to sell to the "Texas Travelers"of the world, but would rather sell in bulk for less money per unit. As for my vents, I have one side and the other half goes in the mold hopefully tonight. The side I have is a perfect fit. Lastly, my only intention was to see how much interest I could get by asking the forum here who would be interested. Just because I was willing to pay 300 or more doesn't mean others would. If we could have got 6 or seven willing purchasers for whatever price they thought was fair, I wanted to offer a dollar amount for that amount of sets. Instead my idea was met with comments like "thread hijacking" and skepticism. Doesn't matter much now,I've got mine and if any one else wants them they can wait until they are available for retail through various venders

Old 08-30-2019, 05:46 PM

Understood about the hurricane but he's not just selling wholesale (eBay). There aren't enough of these cars in existence to only sell those to dash upholsterers.

A lot of X150 owners won't do anything on their own and always use a service, but not to just replace plastic bits. If the dash is otherwise fine (most of us) and only the vent's need replacing, retail makes more sense. Upholstery shops can maybe get a discount and then markup like most retailers do.

Most of us balked at anything over $50 per side. I said $75. You were happy with $300. $150 didn't meet his reserve. If you're in touch with him, you might want to point him to this thread. He could also list on this site and skip eBay's 10% keep. Just saying.

Anyway, looking forward to the pics. I hope the Hurricane is kind this time around.
He buys 4 of these cars a month at auction. Out of 4 cars 3 require dash repair thus will need vents. His pitch is the same he's made to other manufacturers. Explaining how they are losing repeat business because customers are upset to find out the dash is 11k to replace. He's created a glue for the dash that is not as susceptible to heat and cold as original dash glue is. If they approve a service bulletin. I think he'll get his mold investment back. I've already told him about this thread, I don't think he cares much about a few retail customers. He's also working on the vent located on the side of the dash visible when door is open. This is apparently another "Achilles heel" for this particular vehicle.

Old 08-30-2019, 06:02 PM
Veteran Member

I'm not going to question someone's business model because it doesn't suit my needs and I suggest you follow suit. I actually met him this afternoon and he's a nice guy. He's actually sold several parts to various manufacturers and eBay is a useful tool to gauge retail. As for selling to those who need them, well wouldn't you agree those who need them will actually get them when purchased from Jaguar or a parts supplier in the future. I understand his lack of desire to sell to the "Texas Travelers"of the world, but would rather sell in bulk for less money per unit. As for my vents, I have one side and the other half goes in the mold hopefully tonight. The side I have is a perfect fit. Lastly, my only intention was to see how much interest I could get by asking the forum here who would be interested. Just because I was willing to pay 300 or more doesn't mean others would. If we could have got 6 or seven willing purchasers for whatever price they thought was fair, I wanted to offer a dollar amount for that amount of sets. Instead my idea was met with comments like "thread hijacking" and skepticism. Doesn't matter much now,I've got mine and if any one else wants them they can wait until they are available for retail through various venders
Tom you have made it clear that it’s all about you.... I will keep my opinion thank you.. Congrats on maybe getting a set of vents for your car... I have to disagree again with you about NOT getting any feedback on a price, I think it’s pretty clear by reading the responses that most would say $100-$150 would be a fair price for these vents simply because you can’t get them somewhere else, not because they are worth that, you were the only person to throw out numbers like $400 and $300, but somehow you got them for less than half of those numbers as a one off set. Congrats on that, you clearly have read the”Art of the Deal”. As for my skepticism that you are have gotten so bent out of shape about, here is how it looks from my point of view, so maybe just maybe you can understand where I am coming from. 1) You post on this forum the same day that Tony posts on EBay. 2) You made the comment about $400 when no one was anywhere near that number. 3) Your signature says 2010 XKR but you have stated here that you have a 2012 XKRS. 4) and you have made it clear that it’s all about you and not the XK community here. So again as I have previously stated I hope I am Proven wrong but just a picture of a vent doesn’t really prove that these vents are actually being made by someone.

Old 08-30-2019, 06:16 PM

Tom you have made it clear that it’s all about you.... I will keep my opinion thank you.. Congrats on maybe getting a set of vents for your car... I have to disagree again with you about NOT getting any feedback on a price, I think it’s pretty clear by reading the responses that most would say $100-$150 would be a fair price for these vents simply because you can’t get them somewhere else, not because they are worth that, you were the only person to throw out numbers like $400 and $300, but somehow you got them for less than half of those numbers as a one off set. Congrats on that, you clearly have read the”Art of the Deal”. As for my skepticism that you are have gotten so bent out of shape about, here is how it looks from my point of view, so maybe just maybe you can understand where I am coming from. 1) You post on this forum the same day that Tony posts on EBay. 2) You made the comment about $400 when no one was anywhere near that number. 3) Your signature says 2010 XKR but you have stated here that you have a 2012 XKRS. 4) and you have made it clear that it’s all about you and not the XK community here. So again as I have previously stated I hope I am Proven wrong but just a picture of a vent doesn’t really prove that these vents are actually being made by someone.

You really need to practice a little better reading comprehension. But I think your cognitive dissonance does not allow you to do so. I clearly stated that although I was willing to pay 300 to 400 I was hoping to get more people involved thus lowering the price. Maybe you need to read that a second and third time to understand it. Simply asking someone if they would sell to me for a lesser amount does not make me business-savvy or the recipient of any knowledge from the "art of the deal", that's just ridiculous thinking on your part. Once again, and for the last time, this wasn't about me, this was about trying to get a better deal for everyone. But it's obvious to me you are upset that I've hijacked your thread. As for my car, I recently bought the XKR-S. I sold my 2010 last month but you keep thinking you're super sleuth. Others here have private messaged me and I will try and get them vents for how much they are willing to pay, as for you, you can just continue with your hand-wringing

Old 08-30-2019, 06:24 PM
Veteran Member

You really need to practice a little better reading comprehension. But I think your cognitive dissonance does not allow you to do so. I clearly stated that although I was willing to pay 300 to 400 I was hoping to get more people involved thus lowering the price. Maybe you need to read that a second and third time to understand it. Simply asking someone if they would sell to me for a lesser amount does not make me business-savvy or the recipient of any knowledge from the "art of the deal", that's just ridiculous thinking on your part. Once again, and for the last time, this wasn't about me, this was about trying to get a better deal for everyone. But it's obvious to me you are upset that I've hijacked your thread. As for my car, I recently bought the XKR-S. I sold my 2010 last month but you keep thinking you're super sleuth. Others here have private messaged me and I will try and get them vents for how much they are willing to pay, as for you, you can just continue with your hand-wringing

Thanks Tom

Tom0529 (08-30-2019)
Old 08-30-2019, 06:43 PM

Thanks Tom
Here's one fresh out of the mold

Old 08-30-2019, 06:53 PM
Veteran Member
Old 08-30-2019, 07:04 PM
Veteran Member

He buys 4 of these cars a month at auction. Out of 4 cars 3 require dash repair thus will need vents. His pitch is the same he's made to other manufacturers. Explaining how they are losing repeat business because customers are upset to find out the dash is 11k to replace. He's created a glue for the dash that is not as susceptible to heat and cold as original dash glue is. If they approve a service bulletin. I think he'll get his mold investment back. I've already told him about this thread, I don't think he cares much about a few retail customers. He's also working on the vent located on the side of the dash visible when door is open. This is apparently another "Achilles heel" for this particular vehicle.
Thanks. My bad, you wrote that he buys the cars at auction before. I hope it works out for him.

Tom0529 (08-30-2019)
Old 08-30-2019, 07:09 PM

Thanks. My bad, you wrote that he buys the cars at auction before. I hope it works out for him.
I've learned a lot about these Jag dashboards and vents over the past week.

Old 09-16-2019, 04:20 PM
Veteran Member

Well its going on 3 weeks since last post... I guess a few of you guys had PM'd Tom about these... Any feedback? Did anyone ever get any vents made up? Inquiring minds want to know?

arenaej (09-16-2019)
Old 09-16-2019, 08:36 PM

Well its going on 3 weeks since last post... I guess a few of you guys had PM'd Tom about these... Any feedback? Did anyone ever get any vents made up? Inquiring minds want to know?
I'm in contact with those asking about vents, no need for handwringing.

Old 10-02-2019, 08:56 PM

Anyone still looking,for those dash vents contact me PM and I will provide a phone number. I know he has been in contact with 4 of you but I wasn't sure if anyone else needed them.

Old 01-13-2020, 11:19 AM
Veteran Member

quote removed by GGG.
Sorry to hear this Sean... Just as a note I know other members tried to contact this so called "Tom" and either got no response or didn't like what they heard, I'm guessing, because I ended up sending them some of the overlay's I had made up... I hope you get some resolution....

Last edited by GGG; 01-30-2020 at 05:26 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by TexasTraveler:
arenaej (01-13-2020), Sean W (01-13-2020)
Old 01-30-2020, 03:23 PM
Veteran Member

Why have recent post been removed from this thread?!? With the removal, you open up other forum members to possible fraud... Until forum members actually receive their refund or an actual product is produced, certainly a warning should apply here...

Cee Jay (01-30-2020)
Old 01-30-2020, 03:51 PM
Veteran Member

My posts were removed by the moderators at my request Double T. There was/is no fraud. The gent was incapacitated for some time an unable to provide his product to me in a timely manner. I was frustrated by the delay but at the same time not comfortable with my post. Ultimately, where I thought he was ignoring me, he was tending to his family.

He was able to get back to work and wasn't satisfied with his own product (showed me the pics) and didn't want to sell it until he's confident it's "production ready". I was fully reimbursed.

After re-engaging with him, I walked away satisfied and don't want to negatively affect anyone's business. This was truly a case of circumstances outside his control.

I'll use the covers you had made for me. I looked at the pics I took of them laying in place and they look great. I just have a hang up for OEM parts for this kind of stuff but what you provided to me will work just fine as once painted, I'm not going to notice the difference.

I'm going to see if I can find some charcoal colored matte aluminum paint vs. vinyl wrapping unless you know of a matte charcoal wrap. I can't find one.

Cee Jay (01-30-2020)
Old 01-30-2020, 04:25 PM
Veteran Member

My posts were removed by the moderators at my request Double T. There was/is no fraud. The gent was incapacitated for some time an unable to provide his product to me in a timely manner. I was frustrated by the delay but at the same time not comfortable with my post. Ultimately, where I thought he was ignoring me, he was tending to his family.

He was able to get back to work and wasn't satisfied with his own product (showed me the pics) and didn't want to sell it until he's confident it's "production ready". I was fully reimbursed.

After re-engaging with him, I walked away satisfied and don't want to negatively affect anyone's business. This was truly a case of circumstances outside his control.

I'll use the covers you had made for me. I looked at the pics I took of them laying in place and they look great. I just have a hang up for OEM parts for this kind of stuff but what you provided to me will work just fine as once painted, I'm not going to notice the difference.

I'm going to see if I can find some charcoal colored matte aluminum paint vs. vinyl wrapping unless you know of a matte charcoal wrap. I can't find one.
Sean, glad to hear you were reimbursed, but I did not ask for my post to be removed... But no worries I have an email copy of all the post on this thread...

Old 01-06-2022, 12:33 PM
Received 86 Likes on 52 Posts
Default Now I’ve done it!

Can someone please tell me how to remove one side of the vent. I was searching for a creak and took the top grill part off but it looks like I should t have done that.
How is the vent supposed to be removed? Once its all out I can glue it back together!

What remains in situ.

Base of vent which I guess should have come out with grill attached.

This is thr part I have removed and damaged.

Quick Reply: Defrost vent on upper dash