XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Dings repair - & ceramic over or fix first?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2017, 12:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,380 Likes on 1,607 Posts

GR, here is the best advice I can give as a fellow traveler just a few steps ahead on this expedition.

Do whatever you have to to enjoy this car like a new expensive luxury car- because thats what it is to you. And if you are not getting that then you have lost ten of thousands. Have the dings removed, have the scratches removed, clearly you notice all those things. Dont forget you will get this money back when you resell it. Also there has been few studies that have shown that when people dont think too highly of their cars, they are more prone to breakdown.

Worry only about what is wrong- Dont worry about stuff that may or may not happen. As Churchill once wrote; there was a man who died young of worries that never materialized.

BTW whoever sold you this car without already doing these things was a bad dealer. They can get this stuff done fairly easily and inexpensively. Reconditioning is really the business they are in.

The following users liked this post:
GhostRider9000 (07-07-2017)
Old 07-07-2017, 01:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,380 Likes on 1,607 Posts

One more thing to encourage you.

You paid more for this car than the guy who bought it brand new. It was a $110k car that he probably paid $20k a year to drive, most likely an insignificant amount of his salary- or better yet it was a job perk. Regardless, he got a brand new car when it was the cat's meow. With not a care in the world.

You will pay $12k a year, whether you enjoy it or not.

Good news is that you can have what he had and more. Just figure out what it will take to get the car there and do it.

Old 07-07-2017, 01:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

Back to the original question, I would do the dings 100%. Every car has dings and it's just amazing how well they can make the car laser straight

If you can line up a days work with a few other cars (some of your buddies), maybe a PDR tech would cut you a deal for a full days work at nice discount?

Old 07-07-2017, 01:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 545 Likes on 364 Posts

+1 with Q&C. I'm sort of going through the same thing. I've got some corrosion that is being caused by a damaged vert top (PO used a high pressure washer on it and stripped H2O protection out). My body shop guy will get this corrected next week so it will look like new. I've already used 1/2 gal of 303 making sure the top is sealed and will replace it as a winter project.

After waiting the prescribed time for paint to fully cure, I'll take it to a reputable detailer for paint correction and ceramic coat. But in the mean time and there after, I'm keeping her clean and driving the fun out of it!

Old 07-07-2017, 02:21 PM
Received 420 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by Don-T
Are you sure you want ask us? You are the one who"ll live with them...knowing that they're there, invisibly multiplying, growing like a cancer, getting bigger with each conscious thought, gnawing on you while you are driving that fatally flawed almost great vehicle.
By far and away the best response ITT. Bravo.

Old 07-07-2017, 04:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 631 Likes on 409 Posts

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
Paintless Dent Removal is the coolest thing! I was thinking of learning how to do it. Most car dealerships around me pay around $25 a dent, so keep that in mind when getting quotes. If your Jag dealership or indy dent guy is quoting much much higher, stop by a couple of high-line used car dealerships and see what they can do for you on that. Give them another service they can do themselves like an oil change or brake fluid flush just throw them a bone for helping you out on the dents...
It is very cool, but also a bit of an art form. Working out a dent, especially one that is a bit further into a panel can be difficult. Not to mention aluminum has it's own issues with dent removal, I would make sure that whoever was invited to quote was well qualified and experienced.

Old 07-07-2017, 04:58 PM
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Tire exclusions too vast to mention.
Ding was for Paintless Dent Removal (PDR) (dings, dents, creases that do not exceed 3.25" x 2" (credit card size) located on single panel. Provides coverage for hail and or acorn damage. Coverage is limited to 500.00 or the amount of Your primary auto insurance policy's comprehensive deductible, whichever is less. Hail deductible reimbursement not available in all states (I shortened obviously).
Limitations: steel or aluminum body panels...PDR repairs are subject to accessibility (an area within 3/4" of a door edge is not accessible).
DOES NOT cover pre-existing conditions - that existed prior to Your purchase of this Agreement
any damage caused by neglect, vandalism or fire, any damage resulting from commercial usage, any Consequential Damages, in-home or at-home service. Wont' cover dings with visible paint damage, composite material (bumper).

Oh I plan on getting out of these (have 60 days) and using the money to take care of it myself. Just need to get some estimates and thoughts on if the dents will show more once shining like one of my stretched nickels. yeah I tend to answer questions myself but appreciate learning from others opinions. Some people might be like, "What dings?" "Oh, give me a break, those are nothing." And others may be all like, "OMG, my life is over, my car has a ding when I bend down and go like this to see it." I was fine with them until pointed out, and could probably live with them. But if already spending 700+ to get paint corrected, if I can get them taken care of for a price I'm comfortable with, I'll do it. Lord knows I will visit 20 websites and 10 malls only to buy the most expensive widget in the long run. But at least I got a feel for what's reasonable.

Thanks all,
GR

Last edited by GhostRider9000; 07-07-2017 at 06:41 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by GhostRider9000:
Queen and Country (07-08-2017), Sean W (07-07-2017), tampamark (07-07-2017)
Old 07-08-2017, 11:04 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by tampamark
It is very cool, but also a bit of an art form. Working out a dent, especially one that is a bit further into a panel can be difficult. Not to mention aluminum has it's own issues with dent removal, I would make sure that whoever was invited to quote was well qualified and experienced.
Funny you mention that as the only PDR work I have had done, have all been on aluminum cars. Since '03, aluminum bodied cars are about all I have owned. I think aluminum expertise is more common now.

tampamark (07-08-2017)
Old 07-09-2017, 02:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 119 Likes on 86 Posts

Paintless Dent Removal is the coolest thing! I was thinking of learning how to do it. Most car dealerships around me pay around $25 a dent, so keep that in mind when getting quotes. If your Jag dealership or indy dent guy is quoting much much higher, stop by a couple of high-line used car dealerships and see what they can do for you on that. Give them another service they can do themselves like an oil change or brake fluid flush just throw them a bone for helping you out on the dents...
Great idea!

Old 09-06-2017, 05:29 PM

So I got the dings out using the Ding Shield insurance and then had the car ceramic pro'd after getting out of the 2200.00 tire protection plan...which made me feel a bit better about spending the money to coat vs wax.

Got the glass, tires and calipers as well. Think it came out pretty nice.

Last edited by GhostRider9000; 09-06-2017 at 05:34 PM. Reason: added images
The following 2 users liked this post by GhostRider9000:
JagRag (09-06-2017), kj07xk (09-06-2017)
Old 09-06-2017, 06:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,901 Likes on 1,289 Posts

Looks great!
How long did it take, and what was the cost?

GhostRider9000 (09-06-2017)
Old 09-06-2017, 06:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 969 Likes on 654 Posts

Yep, looks good and I hope it keeps you happy.

GhostRider9000 (09-06-2017)
Old 09-06-2017, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by kj07xk
Looks great!
How long did it take, and what was the cost?
Thanks!
Took it Saturday and had it back late Monday night.
Cost was less than the cost of the tire insurance noted above. But not by a lot.
Just the thought of not having to constantly rub the brake dust off the wheels is worth it to me. Can't wait to see how clean the windows stay too.
Might be time for a ClearBra next, but that will have to wait until another day.

Old 09-07-2017, 08:03 AM
Veteran Member

Who did the work? Are they in MA? I want to get some paint correction done in the spring.

Old 09-07-2017, 05:57 PM

Who did the work? Are they in MA? I want to get some paint correction done in the spring.
They are in MA. Feel free to DM me for the details if you want to check them out as I would get a finder fee for referring someone over, which may help pay for a future wash or something.

Thanks,
GR