XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Dings repair - & ceramic over or fix first?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2017, 05:55 PM
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Dings repair - & ceramic over or fix first?

I was planning to get the car paint corrected/buffed and ceramic'd for a 2-5 year lasting shine but was shown about 8-10 tiny dings probably collected at the dealer mostly. Couldn't see them until in a garage at just the right angle.

Can't quote me without having his ding expert look at them himself, but might be 300 for a panel, 300.00 a single ding, who knows he says.

If you can barely find them to begin with, would you just paint correct and ceramic anyway without fixing them? I'd be near or over 1,000 US probably if I included the ding repair.

I guess I could return/get out of the Ding Shield Service Plan Jaguar sold me for 695.00 that in fine print basically only covers a hail storm or anything not closer than 1/4 inch near the farthest out point of the door (virtually all of them). Might just get out of the Preferred Tire Care Plus plan too which tacked on another 2295.00 or so to the purchase price. That would make me feel better. It too had too much fine print.

So back to the dings, do or don't? How much would be reasonable..in your estimation? 8-10 tiny dings? Ceramic over?

Thank you,
GR

Old 07-06-2017, 07:02 PM
Received 128 Likes on 89 Posts

Are you sure you want ask us? You are the one who"ll live with them...knowing that they're there, invisibly multiplying, growing like a cancer, getting bigger with each conscious thought, gnawing on you while you are driving that fatally flawed almost great vehicle.

The following users liked this post:
LoudHogRider (07-07-2017)
Old 07-06-2017, 07:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 631 Likes on 409 Posts

Wow, a tire plan that cost $2200, that is harsh. I got one for half that and have already used it for one tire and 3 rim rash repairs...that in the first 6 months out of 5 years.

Old 07-06-2017, 07:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,380 Likes on 1,607 Posts

GR, blow the rape whistle right away.

Man, never trust those plans, especially for the things you can insure. Here is how they work, would you insure my tires for $1000? Its like Vegas, the reason they will take a bet on anything is that the odds of you even getting what you paid in are virtually nonexistent.

The detail shop will help you with those dents or chips- thats what they do for a living and have folks that come over to their place.

You are a good man these folks are taking advantage of that. When I was young they sold me finance insurance, later in life I realized from John Gotti, when you owe the bank money- the bank has a problem not you.

Old 07-06-2017, 08:41 PM
Received 231 Likes on 105 Posts

What does that rim/tire plan cover? Seems crazy expensive to me. When I got my wife's car, the Porsche dealer tried really hard to convince me to pay almost $4k for 5 years of rim coverage. Incredulous, I asked how much it would cost me to just buy 4 brand new rims, and the guy sheepishly said "about $4k". Anyone who would get their money's worth on that kind of "coverage" probably shouldn't have a driver's license.

Even $2,300 seems high for an XK since you could also put that money toward buying a whole separate set of rims, which would be kind of cool to change up the look every now and then.

Last edited by Simon Tan; 07-06-2017 at 08:43 PM.
Old 07-06-2017, 09:10 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Simon Tan
What does that rim/tire plan cover? Seems crazy expensive to me. When I got my wife's car, the Porsche dealer tried really hard to convince me to pay almost $4k for 5 years of rim coverage. Incredulous, I asked how much it would cost me to just buy 4 brand new rims, and the guy sheepishly said "about $4k". Anyone who would get their money's worth on that kind of "coverage" probably shouldn't have a driver's license.

Even $2,300 seems high for an XK since you could also put that money toward buying a whole separate set of rims, which would be kind of cool to change up the look every now and then.
And if you actually tried to claim that coverage due to bent wheel, they would just send you to straighten your wheels for $100....less deductible. And tell carfax that you were in a rim bending accident.

BTW, your regular car insurance covers hail damage and wheel replacement.

They will try to sell flood insurance to ducks. They saw him coming.

Old 07-06-2017, 09:15 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by tampamark
Wow, a tire plan that cost $2200, that is harsh. I got one for half that and have already used it for one tire and 3 rim rash repairs...that in the first 6 months out of 5 years.
You got a tire plan! They offer it free at costco with their tires.
Mine were replaced under Michelin's free warranty- all of them.

Old 07-06-2017, 09:25 PM
Veteran Member

I have no idea who your tire provider is so cannot speak to how good it is, definitely it is overpriced. The ding coverage sounds like it definitely blows.

However, in general the advice here is not accurate, it is just opinion. An appropriately priced tire package can work to your advantage if your car is consistently driven. For a garage queen or weekend car probably not.

I had a 5 year, $1400 plan on my previous BMW through IAS and had 4 bent rims replaced at a total cost of $4000 (replace with factory OEM forged rims). Also, I had 6 tires replaced for a total cost of $2,700. The caveat is that the tire had to be above 3/32" tread depth which is pretty low tread.

My current 5 year policy from IAS for the Jag was priced at $1100 and has already paid out $250 for a tire and 3 rim rash repairs at $150 per incident, so $700 total in 6 months. Not one issue with claims, easy and doesn't show up on Carfax since it isn't an insurance claim.

Everyone is different, I knew from the last 12 years of low profile, sports car tires and rims that I would get my moneys worth.

Old 07-06-2017, 09:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

I have a wheel/tire plan on my XE for 3 years like $1200. Within the first year 5K miles (On track to hit 6K by year end) I have replaced 5 tires and straighten two wheels. More than paid for itself. XE's Pirelli Cinturato are worst quality tire I have ever used. I baby my car... Never seen sunlight unless I am driving it. Dealer says they are replacing the tire on other XE's daily...

The insurance has paid for itself already and I have two more years of coverage!

Old 07-06-2017, 09:37 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Queen and Country
You got a tire plan! They offer it free at costco with their tires.
Mine were replaced under Michelin's free warranty- all of them.
I get that, looks like the Costco plan is pretty nice and this is really good to know. I believe they determine the amount you are credited back based on tread? The plan I have buys the new tire at full price regardless of tread depth so long as it is more than 3/32nd.

The other issue is that I bought my car from the dealer as a CPO and they put fresh rubber on all 4 corners. I wouldn't be able to get the Costco coverage until another 2 years when my current tires finally wear out.

Regardless, with nearly $7,000 in payouts on my previous car I am not sure Costco would have been any help.

I am sure we will have 4 rim rash repairs per year, that is $450 per year over 5 years, so I will well exceed the policy just on keeping my rims pristine.

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol

The insurance has paid for itself already and I have two more years of coverage!
Thank you, a voice of reason!

Old 07-07-2017, 08:12 AM
Veteran Member

Tires cost $1000 a set.
So you may be thinking that $1000 insurance pays for itself the first time you use it.
That's what they want you to think. No way would they stay in business if people even got half of what they paid in. No bookie would take those odds.

You are better off buying your own tires if and when that happens and the come with free insurance.

Dont forget money grows in your brokerage account vs theirs.

ralphwg (07-08-2017)
Old 07-07-2017, 08:24 AM
Veteran Member

Tires cost $1000 a set.
So you may be thinking that $1000 insurance pays for itself the first time you use it.
That's what they want you to think. No way would they stay in business if people even got half of what they paid in. No bookie would take those odds.

You are better off buying your own tires if and when that happens and the come with free insurance.

On the XE, the cheapest OEM tire I could find locally for 19" Pirelli Cinturato was $385 each mounted (times that by 5 and add in the wheel straightening). I would've said the same as you on this insurance, but I am so thankful I got it this time around.

Old 07-07-2017, 08:54 AM
Veteran Member

For the purposes of GhostRider9000, who has been rode hard and put away while still smoking.

He can just spring for a set of tires that everyone here loves for a grand, if he ever needs it. BTW I would not have needed tires if not for manufacturing defect which manufacturer covered. Tires can last a long time on the XKR, cause you dont drive this car everywhere in all weathers.

Old 07-07-2017, 09:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 549 Likes on 380 Posts

Back to the dings, I would get a quote from a ding repair pro or two. Like Q&C said, that's what they do and they are good at it. Then make the decision if you want to spend the money on the repair or live with the dings.

I would not paint correct and ceramic coat until after you decide what you are doing with the ding repairs.

Old 07-07-2017, 09:16 AM
Veteran Member

Does anyone know anything about the Ding repair plan that he was sold?
He might be able to right himself if he can use that.

Poor chap, looks like they had their way with him and set him on fire.

Old 07-07-2017, 09:36 AM
Veteran Member

Tires cost $1000 a set.

As you may have determined I am not terribly influenced by others opinions so good to read yours despite it implying we are stupid and unable to make well thought out intelligent decisions. I know what are good deals and what are not and I have been on the positive side for any tire program I have owned. For me it was a strategic purchase as I KNOW it will return more to me than I spend. So far I have spent $110 (for six months of usage on the policy) and received $700.

With that said, here you go again worrying about the inconsequential. My 5 year policy cost $1100, that is $220 per year. Seriously, it isn't even worth my time typing this out!

I always laugh when someone brings up money growth when it relates to petty change, this is advice I give to someone in their 20's. If the $1000 is a concern for all of us at 40, 50, 60, or 70 years old then you are probably lost in your retirement savings anyway.

Old 07-07-2017, 09:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,166 Likes on 2,335 Posts

Originally Posted by GhostRider9000
I was planning to get the car paint corrected/buffed and ceramic'd for a 2-5 year lasting shine but was shown about 8-10 tiny dings probably collected at the dealer mostly. Couldn't see them until in a garage at just the right angle.

Can't quote me without having his ding expert look at them himself, but might be 300 for a panel, 300.00 a single ding, who knows he says.

If you can barely find them to begin with, would you just paint correct and ceramic anyway without fixing them? I'd be near or over 1,000 US probably if I included the ding repair.

I guess I could return/get out of the Ding Shield Service Plan Jaguar sold me for 695.00 that in fine print basically only covers a hail storm or anything not closer than 1/4 inch near the farthest out point of the door (virtually all of them). Might just get out of the Preferred Tire Care Plus plan too which tacked on another 2295.00 or so to the purchase price. That would make me feel better. It too had too much fine print.

So back to the dings, do or don't? How much would be reasonable..in your estimation? 8-10 tiny dings? Ceramic over?

Thank you,
GR

For your specific situation, I agree with you that you may want to get out of the ding service as it appears to have limited value.
$2300 for wheel and tire care is too much for my taste (but that's me). I paid $600 for my wife's 4 year wheel coverage (wheel only, not tire). They're chrome plated and it is a replacement plan, not a repair plan. I haven't used it but, the way she hits curbs, it was piece of mind @ $450/ wheel. If what you have brings you piece of mind, that's what really matters, right?

I would shop around the ding and dent services in your area. It's already bothering you so I think you've answered your own question. Fix them first, then ceramic.

Old 07-07-2017, 10:07 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by tampamark
implying we are stupid and unable to make well thought out intelligent decisions.
I was implying the inverse: The bookies who take this bet are smarter than any of us will ever be, they actually make a handsome living at it. They would not even survive if the odds were that majority of people got to use the insurance.

Its not a matter of intelligence, its a matter of emotions. We are thinking of it as 'what if something bad happens to us' they clearly are not, because a lot more bad could happen to them then you, yet they are more than willing to make that bet. Go figure.

Also in GoshtRider9000's case thay even paid the dealership $1000 profit on that bet.

Old 07-07-2017, 10:12 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Sean W
For your specific situation, I agree with you that you may want to get out of the ding service as it appears to have limited value.
$2300 for wheel and tire care is too much for my taste (but that's me). I paid $600 for my wife's 4 year wheel coverage (wheel only, not tire). They're chrome plated and it is a replacement plan, not a repair plan. I haven't used it but, the way she hits curbs, it was piece of mind @ $450/ wheel. If what you have brings you piece of mind, that's what really matters, right?

I would shop around the ding and dent services in your area. It's already bothering you so I think you've answered your own question. Fix them first, then ceramic.
As he said in the opening post, he hasn't even determined how much will be covered by the Ding plan. His assumption is that it will be limited, so if that is the case I agree 100%, **** can the Ding coverage. He has more to find out before making the decision, if they come back and say they will cover the majority well then keep it!

I also feel the tire program is a bit much, if he can cancel it that would be a good call.

The fact that he is even asking whether the dings are worth fixing is telling. For most on here that wouldn't be a decision, it would be action, so the advice I would give is tailored to his situation. If he can only see them by placing lights in key angles and viewing from oblique angles then only he will know they are present so move on without fixing. He can give it a shot and see over time if they are visible, if they annoy him fix them at that time. If indeed his plan proves useless having them removed later won't affect the ceramic coating, that is why they call it Paintless Dent Repair, they push them out from the back side. Keep in mind that sometimes you can still see ripples so even the fix may not be perfect.

Last edited by tampamark; 07-07-2017 at 10:16 AM.
GhostRider9000 (07-07-2017)
Old 07-07-2017, 10:36 AM
Veteran Member

Paintless Dent Removal is the coolest thing! I was thinking of learning how to do it. Most car dealerships around me pay around $25 a dent, so keep that in mind when getting quotes. If your Jag dealership or indy dent guy is quoting much much higher, stop by a couple of high-line used car dealerships and see what they can do for you on that. Give them another service they can do themselves like an oil change or brake fluid flush just throw them a bone for helping you out on the dents...

The following 2 users liked this post by mosesbotbol:
GhostRider9000 (07-07-2017), Queen and Country (07-07-2017)