Old 01-30-2017, 10:41 PM
Received 4,437 Likes on 2,422 Posts

Check your emails mate.

The following users liked this post:
jahummer (01-31-2017)
Old 01-31-2017, 08:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,263 Likes on 1,421 Posts

Regarding fluid for the rack, the 2008 Owner's Handbook states any Dexron III equivalent, for 2012 the Handbook indicates Pentosin CHF202 or equivalent (Pentosin states CHF fluids should NOT be mixed with ATF fluids) and the 2014 F-Type manual says to use Mobil ATF 320. I have to assume my 2008 has Dexron III ATF.

So, which fluid or equivalent should I use?

Old 02-01-2017, 09:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,176 Likes on 2,342 Posts

Originally Posted by jahummer
Regarding fluid for the rack, the 2008 Owner's Handbook states any Dexron III equivalent, for 2012 the Handbook indicates Pentosin CHF202 or equivalent (Pentosin states CHF fluids should NOT be mixed with ATF fluids) and the 2014 F-Type manual says to use Mobil ATF 320. I have to assume my 2008 has Dexron III ATF.

So, which fluid or equivalent should I use?
My two cents - you bought an F-Type rack under warranty which I'm guessing will be voided if you use anything other than Mobil ATF 320. Mobil claims it is safe for any applications where Dexron III -G is recommended, though I think 3-G is tranny fluid also. I am confused about your reference to 2012 though as I don't see how it applies if you could help me out there.

Your outliers are the PS pump and hoses. All are cheaper than the rack. I would use the Mobil ATF to keep the warranty in tact.

I know others on the X350 forum have used ATF in the power steering system to quiet it down without incident. I'm just focusing on the warranty aspect of your part, not the comparative fluid specs. If the F-Type PS pump is the same as your XK, I think the answer's even easier.

Last edited by Sean W; 02-01-2017 at 10:03 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Sean W:
jahummer (02-01-2017), Panthro (02-02-2017)
Old 02-01-2017, 08:26 PM

The specification handbook from August 2012 says "Mobil ATF meeting Dexron 3 Specification" for the power steering in every Jaguar model except for the early S-Types up to 2001 model year (which used a Ford rack, not ZF)...

That includes 2010MY onward XK's... and when I check the workshop manual I have for the 2010MY onward X150 it still says Dexron 3

Mobil ATF 320 is Dexron 3 Mobil ATF 320

So i'd be going with Mobil ATF 320.

The following 2 users liked this post by Cambo:
jahummer (02-01-2017), Panthro (02-02-2017)
Old 02-09-2017, 04:50 AM

Now this is an interesting development.

My ex-JLR contact with the 2008 XKR just picked up an F-Type V6S that has been in a big frontal collision, looks like the rear subframe, suspension, diff, etc is OK, but everything forward of the seats is stuffed...

The V6S has a 3.31:1 diff in it, same as the XKR's, but the diff is a Torsen LSD

Plan is to transfer the whole rear subframe, complete with diff into the XKR.

It looks like the propshaft from a 5.0L XKR will be the right length and has the correct flange at the diff end to suit the GKN diff.

Shocks will have to stay as XKR ones because of the CATS being different.

The ABS reluctors are different on the driveshafts so something will have to be done there. Also the parking brake arrangement is different on the F-Type so will be some fiddling there.

Just waiting on delivery of the wrecked F-Type now, exciting stuff!

jahummer (02-09-2017), Panthro (02-13-2017)
Old 02-09-2017, 05:38 AM
Veteran Member

The F-Type is indeed more X150 than many realize but would it not be less costly to put a Quaife in it? What other advantages are there to the subframe swap? The rear offsets would be different too and should provide room for wider wheels, if they will clear the wells.

I too have been on the search for wrecked XKR-S's and F-Types to scavenge but so far not too much luck at least cost wise.

Old 02-09-2017, 05:51 AM

..but would it not be less costly to put a Quaife in it?
...depends on how much you pay for the parts I guess, bit of a story behind this wrecked F-Type...

What other advantages are there to the subframe swap? The rear offsets would be different too and should provide room for wider wheels, if they will clear the wells.
Using wheels from a later model without the ridiculous offset on the rear for a start, also there must be a reason why the GT got an F-Type rear subframe, suspension geometry is different.

The more I look the more I come across little differences which must be important. Like for example the 2008 XKR-S has different lower rear wishbones to the normal XKR and you cannot order them without a VIN... what's special about these? Something must be...

I too have been on the search for wrecked XKR-S's and F-Types to scavenge but so far not too much luck at least cost wise.
It's not easy man, not at all...

jahummer (02-09-2017), Panthro (02-13-2017)
Old 02-11-2017, 12:12 PM
Veteran Member

Finally unboxed the 2015 F-type steering rack and discovered a couple of areas of concern. This came from a low mileage V8 R model and the rack was supposed to have been tested and inspected prior to shipment.

There is quite a bit of fluid and dirt built up around the rotary housing as well as around the mounting bushing closest to the rotary housing and this bushing appears to have some damage or distortion to the rubber, compared to the other 2 bushings on the rack. But the largest concern is the seating area for the hydraulic lines to the pump and reservoir as there are scratches, nicks and chips. Please see the pics I included here.

Should I be concerned about any of this? Could I use the rotary housing from the XKR rack or would that be too much effort or possibly create even bigger problems and would it even be compatible?

Attached Thumbnails DIY XKR-S GT - raid the junkyard-img_0461.jpg   DIY XKR-S GT - raid the junkyard-img_0463.jpg   DIY XKR-S GT - raid the junkyard-img_0466.jpg  
Old 02-11-2017, 04:09 PM
Received 198 Likes on 140 Posts

Can you return it? If it were only the bushing, I would find a replacement but area where the hoses were attached looks like they took out the bolt and discovered they were stuck. Out comes the ball peen and file. I would be very concerned about that rack.

Old 02-11-2017, 04:27 PM

I wouldn't be happy with that, damage to that flange looks like it's been dragged along the ground or something.

Hard to say about the damage to the bush, the cynic in me wonders if that's the result of an impact, which makes me wonder if there might be other damage to the rack, something bent from an accident?

Old 02-11-2017, 08:34 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Cambo
I wouldn't be happy with that, damage to that flange looks like it's been dragged along the ground or something.

Hard to say about the damage to the bush, the cynic in me wonders if that's the result of an impact, which makes me wonder if there might be other damage to the rack, something bent from an accident?
I saw some pictures of the car. It ran and for the most part intact, the impact area was on the right side. The damage to the "flange" appears to me to have been caused from poor handling as you noted perhaps from falling or being dragged although the rest of the rack is spotless, including the tie rods. It came from a reputable salvager, Pacific Motors and I spoke with them prior to purchase to make certain that I was receiving a premium product for the premium price I paid them for it.

Sadly, at this point, unless the damage can be repaired or replaced, it probably will need to be returned for a refund.

Old 02-11-2017, 10:18 PM
Veteran Member

Doing a bit of homework now, reviewing the workshop manual and pictures of the rest of the parts for the steering system from the donor car. Looks like the hydraulic lines fit into the holes on the valve unit and then a plate referred to as a support bracket is placed around the fittings in the same fashion as the assist piston pressure/return pipes fitted on the body of the rack (see just to the right of the exposed pump pressure/return) so perhaps the cosmetic damage will have no impact on the function of the line support bracket? Also looks like they offer a bushing service kit and special tool

Also as I am reviewing the workshop manual, I have been reminded of something I had explored long ago and forgotten. Quoted from the manual: Servotronic 2 adds electronic control and speed sensitive steering to the steering gear. The Servotronic 2 feature provides easy and comfortable steering operation when parking, improved 'road feel' at increased road speeds and adds an integrated, positive centre feel feature which optimises steering wheel torque during high speed driving. The Servotronic 2 system is controlled by software which is incorporated into the instrument cluster. The software responds to road speed signals and controls the power assistance via a transducer valve located on the steering gear valve housing. The Servotronic software within the instrument cluster has a diagnostic capability which allows a Jaguar approved diagnostic system to check the tune of the steering...The Servotronic software within the instrument cluster also contains a number of steering maps which are selected via the car configuration file depending on the vehicle model and tire fitment. If a failure of the Servotronic valve or software occurs, the system will suspend Servotronic assistance and only normal power steering wheel be available. Fault codes relating to the fault are stored, but no warning lamps are illuminated and the driver may be aware of the steering being 'heavier' than usual.

So....couldn't either the Servotronic software maps in the cluster be modified or done away with to eliminate the assist thereby providing more steering "feel" or since the maps basically reduce or increase voltage to the Servotronic, couldn't the voltage be reduced? And could there be a difference between the 2008 XKR steering map and the GT steering map?

By the way, where does the ratio spec apply, since both of these rack feature variable ratio gears: The teeth angles at the centre of the rack vary from those at the end sections. It is this variation in teeth angles which provides the variable ratio.

EDIT: One more thing I meant to write in prior to posting. I read somewhere the differences between the XKR & the GT steering racks were a different ratio gear, of course, and also different valving for the hydraulic assist. My concern is, after reading through the power steering section of the workshop manual it is mentioned there is a difference in the pump valving between the NA & supercharged variants to affect how much fluid flows to the rack. So is the valving difference on the GT rack or on the pump? I suppose pump part numbers may or may not confirm this?

Last edited by jahummer; 02-11-2017 at 10:31 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Panthro (02-13-2017)
Old 02-11-2017, 11:29 PM

Doing a bit of homework now, reviewing the workshop manual and pictures of the rest of the parts for the steering system from the donor car. Looks like the hydraulic lines fit into the holes on the valve unit and then a plate referred to as a support bracket is placed around the fittings in the same fashion as the assist piston pressure/return pipes fitted on the body of the rack (see just to the right of the exposed pump pressure/return) so perhaps the cosmetic damage will have no impact on the function of the line support bracket? Also looks like they offer a bushing service kit and special tool
Maybe contact ZF Services and ask their opinion, as they rebuild their own racks, and supply them to JLR as exchange units. The mounting bushes are listed as spares in the JEPC as well.

Also as I am reviewing the workshop manual, I have been reminded of something I had explored long ago and forgotten. Quoted from the manual: Servotronic 2 adds electronic control and speed sensitive steering to the steering gear. The Servotronic 2 feature provides easy and comfortable steering operation when parking, improved 'road feel' at increased road speeds and adds an integrated, positive centre feel feature which optimises steering wheel torque during high speed driving. The Servotronic 2 system is controlled by software which is incorporated into the instrument cluster. The software responds to road speed signals and controls the power assistance via a transducer valve located on the steering gear valve housing. The Servotronic software within the instrument cluster has a diagnostic capability which allows a Jaguar approved diagnostic system to check the tune of the steering...The Servotronic software within the instrument cluster also contains a number of steering maps which are selected via the car configuration file depending on the vehicle model and tire fitment. If a failure of the Servotronic valve or software occurs, the system will suspend Servotronic assistance and only normal power steering wheel be available. Fault codes relating to the fault are stored, but no warning lamps are illuminated and the driver may be aware of the steering being 'heavier' than usual.

So....couldn't either the Servotronic software maps in the cluster be modified or done away with to eliminate the assist thereby providing more steering "feel" or since the maps basically reduce or increase voltage to the Servotronic, couldn't the voltage be reduced? And could there be a difference between the 2008 XKR steering map and the GT steering map?
The bit in bold is the key. The maps will be selectable using SDD. For sure there will be different maps for XK, XKR, XKR-S, XKR-S GT. They may not be named that way though. Will have to make an SDD session and have a look.

EDIT

With the earlier X100 XKR there was a trick to add a switch or dial which gave a manual control over the steering weight, let me see if I can find it...

By the way, where does the ratio spec apply, since both of these rack feature variable ratio gears: The teeth angles at the centre of the rack vary from those at the end sections. It is this variation in teeth angles which provides the variable ratio.
Good question, I don't know the answer

EDIT: One more thing I meant to write in prior to posting. I read somewhere the differences between the XKR & the GT steering racks were a different ratio gear, of course, and also different valving for the hydraulic assist. My concern is, after reading through the power steering section of the workshop manual it is mentioned there is a difference in the pump valving between the NA & supercharged variants to affect how much fluid flows to the rack. So is the valving difference on the GT rack or on the pump? I suppose pump part numbers may or may not confirm this?
The power steering pump is the same for all versions of the 5.0L XK, XKR, XKR-S, XKR-S GT, so that's not anything to worry about.

Ditto for the earlier cars, no difference for which engine or vehicle spec.

There are different power steering cooler assemblies listed, but that might have more to do with the nosecone of the car than anything else. There is a different cooler for the 4.2L XKR-S compared to the 4.2L XKR. And also a different cooler for the XKR-S GT. But it's just the cooler so ????

Lastly, there is a different "pump to steering rack" hose listed for the XKR-S (not the GT, just the R-S), but this is only listed for LHD cars, and it has an F-Type part number. For the RHD cars these hoses are all the same regardless of model. I don't know why...

Last edited by Cambo; 02-11-2017 at 11:35 PM.
jahummer (02-12-2017), Panthro (02-13-2017)
Old 02-12-2017, 07:12 AM
Veteran Member

Maybe contact ZF Services and ask their opinion, as they rebuild their own racks, and supply them to JLR as exchange units. The mounting bushes are listed as spares in the JEPC as well.
Good idea, found their contact info here in the US, will get on it tomorrow morning. Upon further inspection that isn't just a scrape on the valve body, it is an indention indicative of having been dropped as the opening is not round, it is distorted on the damaged side. You can see it in the picture too, on the left inside of the top hole.

The bit in bold is the key. The maps will be selectable using SDD. For sure there will be different maps for XK, XKR, XKR-S, XKR-S GT. They may not be named that way though. Will have to make an SDD session and have a look.

EDIT

With the earlier X100 XKR there was a trick to add a switch or dial which gave a manual control over the steering weight, let me see if I can find it...
Yes, Steve the Jag Wrangler had a mod for that, it changed the voltage from the Servotronic to reduce the amount of assist.

The power steering pump is the same for all versions of the 5.0L XK, XKR, XKR-S, XKR-S GT, so that's not anything to worry about.

Ditto for the earlier cars, no difference for which engine or vehicle spec.
That's good news! So the valving difference must be within the rack assembly as the marketing language would lead one to believe.

Last edited by jahummer; 02-12-2017 at 07:30 AM.
Old 02-13-2017, 05:57 PM
Veteran Member

In my quest to get a quote for repair, I was asked to provide the 10-digit ZF part number which is molded on the rack, 7852501749. When searching this number with google, racks for the Jaguar S-Type diesel comes up as well as a 2013 XF.

EDIT: Not to rant, but so far Pacific Motors remains in denial and insists it is perfect, even after viewing the pics...

Old 02-13-2017, 06:13 PM

The numbers in the casting will be just for the housing, which is most like shared with many Jaguar models.

The number on the ID plate which is riveted to the rack would be the one you need.

EDIT

OK they have a sticker now, like this one (note this is RHD) http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2015-JAGUA...-/162374507341

Or engraved LOL http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2014-JAGUA...YAAOSwa~BYOOfu

The racks on the early cars like my XJR had an ID plate riveted on with all the info.

Last edited by Cambo; 02-13-2017 at 06:16 PM.
Old 02-13-2017, 06:49 PM
Veteran Member

The numbers in the casting will be just for the housing, which is most like shared with many Jaguar models.

The number on the ID plate which is riveted to the rack would be the one you need.

EDIT

OK they have a sticker now, like this one (note this is RHD) 2015 JAGUAR F TYPE R 4WD V8 5.0L SUPERCHARGED STEERING RACK GX53-3200-DC | eBay

Or engraved LOL 2014 JAGUAR F TYPE 3.0 Petrol Steering Rack T2P1051 435 | eBay

The racks on the early cars like my XJR had an ID plate riveted on with all the info.
Yes there is a sticker 7853993853

Old 02-16-2017, 03:02 PM
Veteran Member

Heard back from ZF and they have sold their steering division to Bosch. The new part number provided by Bosch is KS01001922. What is interesting is what this number cross refeferences to:

??????? ???????? BOSCH K S01 001 922. ???????? StarParts

Old 02-16-2017, 03:18 PM

Heh, some day Bosch will own everything....

The other numbers are the WERS or engineering part number.

T2R1327 = EX53-3200-AD according to my records, and the -AB & -AC don't exist, and there is no Land Rover part number for this rack that I can find.

All parts have at least two part numbers within the JLR system, if it's a shared part between Jag & Land Rover then often there's three part numbers for the same item.

Old 02-21-2017, 07:50 PM
Veteran Member

While waiting on a new rack to arrive, turned off the Servotronic 2 variable assist and finally had a chance to go for a drive to test it out. Definititly a noticeable difference. Steering is now more responsive and quicker especially on curvy roads at low, 15-30 mph speeds also a bit heavier and with more road feel. Have not tried it at higher speeds but I know at some point it would not make a difference as the assist progressively lessens as speed increases. Feels more like a sports car, recommend giving it a try.

The following 2 users liked this post by jahummer:
dcmackintosh (01-15-2018), Panthro (05-05-2017)

Quick Reply: DIY XKR-S GT - raid the junkyard