XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Drove: AM Vantage, Evora S, XKR

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2011, 12:58 PM
Received 58 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Drove: AM Vantage, Evora S, XKR

So I'm on the hunt for a new toy. In addition to the cars above I'm looking at Viper Coupe, 997TT and anything else interesting but under $80k. Thought you guys might like to hear about my British test drive day yesterday. Would love to get your feedback on the XKR especially. What else you looked at, do you regret your choice etc.

Vantage
First I drove an 07 Vantage 6spd with 30k. Now I don't know whether it was the mileage or too much air in the tires or what... but this Vantage felt too harsh.

Not harsh in a focused, I can take any corner sort of feel - like say a Viper, GTR etc. But harsh as in sharp bumps like reflectors hit too hard and also had a slightly rattle-y sound as well. It sounded great although I wish it had a lighter weight flywheel so it rev'd faster. Steering was heavy and the car felt significant. Made me wonder if it feels like owning a toy or something too serious... The interior had leather everywhere so you definitely feel special behind the wheel.

Lotus Evora
Then I drove an 11 Lotus Evora S. While I wonder if I could get over the thought of paying nearly $90k for a car with a supercharged Camry V6 the performance was quite impressive. It pulled super hard and was quite smooth. The ride was actually smoother than the Vantage by a longshot and yet it is a focused track toy (not a GT). AND it actually had 20's! The AC didn't blow cold for some reason and the sound of the door closing didn't sound so great if you know what I mean. Dash was wrapped in leather and the seats were quite supportive. It definitely looked the part and had presence.

XKR
Finally I drove an 11 XKR. First impression is how finished the car felt particularly when I closed the door. Super tight, satisfying thump. Steering was a bit light and I hate the black plastic around the navi screen. Had a nice sound and pulled like there was no tomorrow. Absorbed bumps like a real GT. Overall I was impressed. Although I have a hard time stomaching $100k for a Jag. The 12' looks even better with more aggressive nose - sharper headlights and stronger character line down the side. Very good looking car. The 12' will age very well like the older XKR coupes still look good today.

Verdict
All in all, I wasn't moved to buy either of these cars. The Vantage didn't feel like a very good GT particularly with its ride. Yet it isn't a beast from a performance standpoint. I like to know what my car really is. If it doesn't have the best interior quality like a Viper but it is quite nearly the king of the road I can live with that. I know what I'm giving up. In this case the 07 Vantage may not be the fastest in a line or around a track but it should be at least be an impeccable grand tourer but I'm not sure this specimen was. The 11' Vantage I previously drove felt perfect. Balanced sporty yet ride that provided proper insulation from the road. What year does the suspension improvements happen?

The Evora is a focused track car but I'd have to get over the Toyota power and quality issues for $90k. The XKR had the best overall package. However, I really prefer a 6speed so I couldn't pull the trigger.

I guess I'm still on the hunt! Need to drive some newer Vantages or different 07's, perhaps a 997TT.

Old 09-24-2011, 07:40 PM
Received 141 Likes on 82 Posts

I had almost the same dilemma, but I had narrowed my search down a little further. I was looking for convertibles.

At any rate, the 07 vantage I drove was beastly. Pretty harsh on the bumps, but a sound God himself obviously had a hand in making -- it was fabulous. My problem with the 07 Vantages were that the Audio system had no Aux inputs or Satellite radio and the nav systems were horrid. Plus, in 09 they bumped the engine and power pretty considerably.

The XKR was as you described. The interior not as eye catching as the AM, but well executed. I drove an 11. Starting in 10 was when the Jag got the bump to 510HP 5.0L. 100k was still a little tough to swallow for a MY11 and the 12s were sold out for about 6 months in my local vicinity.

Others I looked at were SLS, Z06, Godzilla (I mean GTR). Ultimately I have a decent track toy and really wanted a convertible so I didn't look too hard at the Z06 or GTR.

What I decided to do was go on the hunt for a MY10 XKR. There are a few out there with decently low miles. There's not much difference between a 10 and an 11. Basically in the 10s you could have the trim surrounding the nav/radio match the rest of the car instead of them forcing piano black down your throat. The 12s have different headlights and fascia as well as include a rear view camera. Other than that it's pretty much color changes (assuming you don't go for the XKR-s or the hand-me-down options that you can get on a 12 coupe only). Any of the MY10 on up have a Fantastic exhaust note (2nd only to a Vantage IMHO), great power, balanced handling, and a complete set of amenities.

I found a 2.8k mileage MY10 in the color I wanted for mid 70s. I bought it this past week and am now in the 'hurry up and wait' phase for the shipping company to go pick it up and deliver it to me.

While I looked at the 911s, I was pretty unmoved by them. Great car, but is a little too common for me. And they're VERY proud of their resale. Finding a Targa in the sub 80s price range takes you pretty far back.

I did look at the Lotus myself, but my head rubbed the headliner, so it wasn't even an option.

Good luck in your search!

Old 09-25-2011, 04:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

Nice review, I would also look at Audi R8 and Aston DB9 . I honestly would prefer pre owned DB9 over brand new Vantage .

Old 09-25-2011, 12:17 PM
Received 123 Likes on 104 Posts

One of my neighbors has a Audi R8 spyder 4.2 L. It is very quick and handles very well. If you're planning on golf clubs or going to the beach---forget it. There's no room for luggage. In fact I told my buddy he should convert the luggage compartment to a cooler for picnics.

Old 09-29-2011, 02:10 PM
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

If you want muscle get the Jag, if you want the best and purest sports car, get the Evora. The handling, steering, and every other feature relative to overall performance is astonishing. Forget list price, those 90K numbers translate ~84K OTD. This is the drivers car. If its the Camry motor thats bothering you, try to remember that the motor in all new Jags, (5.0) is really the Ford Coyote V8!! If all you care about is who is looking at you, get the Aston Martin!
All are fabulous cars with fabulous lineages

Old 09-29-2011, 05:55 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

As I mentioned over on lotus talk I just got out of my 09XKR and into an 11 Evora. I have no regrets at all. Its a very different car. I had my first track day in the Evora this past saturday. It makes the Jag seem like a land barge. Yes the Jag has more power and better build quality but if you want a real drivers car that is far more unique than the Jag then the evora is for you. I think the Jag though is particularly incompetent at putting its power to the road. If you shut off the nanny you will easliy leave half your treadlife on the pavement. With the Nanny it is incredibly intrusive. The Lotus nanny is nothing less than perfect. It shuts off in 1 second not 15 seconds like the Jag and is completely unintrusive even under extream situations. I typically hate having the ESP turned on on the track but the lotus one I actually found my self turning it back on just to marvel in its smoothness.

Old 09-29-2011, 06:43 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

When I no longer have a need for a back seat I could see myself in a Lotus. I love my Jag but I do miss driving a 6 speed manual transmission. <sigh>

The following users liked this post:
xkrmd (09-30-2011)
Old 09-30-2011, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by sandydlc
When I no longer have a need for a back seat I could see myself in a Lotus. I love my Jag but I do miss driving a 6 speed manual transmission. <sigh>
According to my wife and daughter both of whom have gone for drives in the back of both cars. The Evora's back seat is more spacious and comfortable than the Jag's. (they are both around 5'1" and 100# )

Old 09-30-2011, 09:13 AM

I know the Lotus is the drivers car. Just not sure if the driving pleasure will outweigh the low quality. I'm not sure if I'm growing out of the focused, low quality Viper, Lotus types of cars and now I expect everything or what!

For that matter I also wonder if I'd be satisfied with a GT like XKR without the nasty exhaust, 3rd pedal etc! The optimal solution would be something like an R8, Gallardo etc but don't want to spend $100k on a car!

Old 09-30-2011, 01:34 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by xkrmd
According to my wife and daughter both of whom have gone for drives in the back of both cars. The Evora's back seat is more spacious and comfortable than the Jag's. (they are both around 5'1" and 100# )
Wow - I guess I didn't realize that it was quite so roomy!!

Old 09-30-2011, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by sandydlc
Wow - I guess I didn't realize that it was quite so roomy!!
Roomy is a purely relative term in these cars

Old 10-27-2011, 01:11 PM
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Drive a Porsche C2S,much sportier than a TT.

Old 12-10-2011, 11:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

An older 360 Modena would be in your price range and can get with manual trans.

Old 12-10-2011, 12:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,341 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Buy an Audi R8. comments like -

"...Not harsh in a focused, I can take any corner sort of feel - like say a Viper, GTR etc".

And -

"....It pulled super hard"

"...the door closing didn't sound so great"

Mean it's the car for the type of customer you might be.

Old 03-13-2012, 11:46 AM

Still haven't pulled the trigger yet... Been super busy at work and now out of the country on a much needed vaca. But plan on doing something when we return.

Any of you XKR owners that used to drive more aggressive/sporty cars care to weigh in on your XKR ownership experience?