XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Error code on display

Old 04-03-2013, 11:23 AM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Error code on display

I am getting an intermittent error code on my '08 XK. I was finally able to show it to the Jaguar service department (the day before my warranty ran out). It seems to have the technicians stumped, but they are discussing it with Jaguar. When it appears, the screen becomes unresponsive to scrolling or closing. It also affects other things controlled by the screen, such as the sound system, i.e. no sound when the error screen is on.
Typical scenario when it appears: Drive 5 miles, sit and idle for 5-10 minutes, shut down. Next time I enter the car (open the door), screen is on and stays on when I start and drive the car. When I shut the car down, the screen stays on for about 15 minutes, then goes off. Next time I start the car, usually the next day, no error screen and the car operates normally for awhile. It may appear again the next day, next week, next month. Anybody heard of anything like this? I'm puzzled. So is the dealership, which has had the car for over a week, with no progress to date.

Attached Thumbnails Error code on display-xk-error-code.jpg  

Last edited by iamddo; 04-03-2013 at 11:25 AM. Reason: Misspelled word
Old 04-03-2013, 02:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 261 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by iamddo
I am getting an intermittent error code on my '08 XK. I was finally able to show it to the Jaguar service department (the day before my warranty ran out). It seems to have the technicians stumped, but they are discussing it with Jaguar. When it appears, the screen becomes unresponsive to scrolling or closing. It also affects other things controlled by the screen, such as the sound system, i.e. no sound when the error screen is on.
Typical scenario when it appears: Drive 5 miles, sit and idle for 5-10 minutes, shut down. Next time I enter the car (open the door), screen is on and stays on when I start and drive the car. When I shut the car down, the screen stays on for about 15 minutes, then goes off. Next time I start the car, usually the next day, no error screen and the car operates normally for awhile. It may appear again the next day, next week, next month. Anybody heard of anything like this? I'm puzzled. So is the dealership, which has had the car for over a week, with no progress to date.
Most of these things are caused by a bad battery...quite a few people have had similar issues and the battery was the culprit.

There are several threads in the forum on bad batteries and their impacts on the cars electronics...search for "battery"

Old 04-03-2013, 02:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 482 Likes on 403 Posts

I had the same exact issue even after replacing it with a new battery. However, I replaced it with a standard lead acid battery.

Yesterday I replaced my battery with an AGM battery. I will let you know if I still have the problem occur.

Old 04-03-2013, 03:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 874 Likes on 633 Posts

does this screenshot show up on your nav display?

Old 04-03-2013, 04:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 482 Likes on 403 Posts

Originally Posted by CleverName
does this screenshot show up on your nav display?
Oops, I missed that part. I never got that screenshot before. So my issue may not be the same as the OP's!

Old 04-04-2013, 08:49 AM
Default Why suspect the battery?

The new responses to this thread suggest that my problem is due to a bad battery. Shortly after I bought the car, the factory battery went dead and was replaced at no cost because the original was part of a bad batch of batteries. I have had no further problems with the new battery. I'm not saying you are wrong, but I don't want to jump to any conclusions.
As I understand it, this error-detection system monitors a large number of systems, reports it when it occurs and, if the system somehow corrects itself, will stop showing the code.
When Jaguar resolves this problem, I'll post the information here so other Jag owners can benefit from it.

Last edited by iamddo; 04-04-2013 at 09:03 AM. Reason: Error in wording
Old 04-04-2013, 09:10 AM
Default We need a list of error codes and what they mean.

Does anyone know where I can get a list of these error codes? I'm sure it would be helpful to owners, especially when they see an intermittent code and can't duplicate it when it's taken in for service...which is why I finally took a photo of the screen. (To answer a previous question: Yes, it appears on the nav screen.)

Old 04-04-2013, 09:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 261 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by iamddo
Does anyone know where I can get a list of these error codes? I'm sure it would be helpful to owners, especially when they see an intermittent code and can't duplicate it when it's taken in for service...which is why I finally took a photo of the screen. (To answer a previous question: Yes, it appears on the nav screen.)
The picture you posted originally actually looks like (a portion of) a log file from a software execution dump...

I don't see any ODB compliant codes listed in the picture. I might be missing something in that regard...

Old 04-05-2013, 10:43 AM
Default Error code

I agree that it looks like a log of events. And, with the scroll bar showing on the side, there is more of it that I can't see. Unfortunately, the screen is unresponsive to any touch to scroll or close it. Other functions, such as the radio, don't work when the screen is visible. I haven't checked to see if it affects the heat or a/c functions. That might be interesting.
I'm particularly interested in the messages showing up at the top right of the screen. I never like to see the term, "Emergency."

Old 04-05-2013, 11:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 6,131 Likes on 3,378 Posts

Have you tried disconnecting the battery cables and waiting a few minutes before reconnecting them? This might reboot the system and clear the touchscreen. If that doesn't work, or if it works temporarily but the same problem recurs, I'd take the car to a Jaguar dealer.

I'm old school - if I can't see what's broken (without a computer) I can't fix it!

Good luck!

Stuart

Old 04-05-2013, 04:14 PM
Received 87 Likes on 37 Posts

Well, I think the OP wins the 'Error Message of the Month' award - which no-one really wants !

I spent 25 yrs in IT, and I recognize the general gist of this screen ! it looks some kind of debug display after a fatal error that the system can't handle.

Been there, done that - fortunately usually on someone else's time, and not on this kind of platform....

A quick Google shows 'Chimera' as a peer-to-peer software library, that Jag might be using for communication between the various modules (which are actually individual CPUs). And 'Palmyra' shows as a debug tool for fixing this kind of network. We were never meant to see this screen !

My guess: you have a damaged CPU or connection somewhere that is crashing parts of your cars CANbus network. Its generating an unrecoverable internal error, and the only people who could probably decipher it are the original developers at Jag (or their sub-contractor) !
I doubt the Dealership will know. Jag themselves might give them a clue, but otherwise they'll have to swap modules until it works...

A new. known good, battery would be a good first start - the CPUs on these cars are very sensitive to voltage.

Good luck - and I'd love to know the outcome.

The following users liked this post:
iamddo (04-07-2013)
Old 04-07-2013, 09:38 AM

Baby steps. The car has been in the Jag dealer's shop in Fort Worth for a week. The shop manager has been talking with Jaguar and is going to start the process by replacing the battery (the third since new). Could the ghost of Lucas be involved again?
I'm hoping to get the car back this week, especially since someone rear-ended our Lexus yesterday. I need to get this black cloud away from over my head.
Thanks again to all of you for ideas and advice.

Old 11-05-2023, 06:12 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jaguar xf palmyra error

Guy did somebody manage to find cause of this error