F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Satellite Radio Display

Old 09-16-2015, 05:42 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Satellite Radio Display

Hi all,

I searched the forums extensively, and looked through the online manual but couldn't find what I needed. Please accept my apologies if this has already been discussed.

When I am listening to Satellite radio (Sirius/XM) and go into the Audio display, it shows 3 lines of data:
Channel Name (Lithium, Hits 1, Octane, etc.)
Channel Genre (rock, pop, metal, etc.)
Artist name (Nirvana, Taylor Swift, Pantera, etc.)

It doesn't show the song title. If I hit the info button, I get a popup that lets me see the song title, but I really don't care about the channel genre.

Is there any way to modify the Sirius XM display to show Channel, Artist, and Song instead?

Thanks!
TCM

Old 09-16-2015, 05:56 PM
Received 390 Likes on 207 Posts

Short answer is no.

The following users liked this post:
thechaosmachine (09-16-2015)
Old 09-16-2015, 07:47 PM
Received 71 Likes on 40 Posts

Yes, seems to be an error in how they coded the thing. Quite broken.

Orkney

Old 09-16-2015, 11:16 PM
Received 114 Likes on 77 Posts

Song shows next to speedometer

Old 09-17-2015, 06:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,635 Likes on 3,358 Posts

Originally Posted by Buckingham
Song shows next to speedometer
On mine as well. Might be a 2016 thing.

Old 09-17-2015, 01:10 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's true that the song shows next to the speedometer, but only briefly (2015 S Coupe). I also think it's stupid to have to get the song info from a different place as the rest of the info, especially since when I listen to HD Radio the title is displayed just fine.

I'd be thrilled if I could find the firmware and modify it, but my googling has failed me there.

It just seems like a poorly thought out design. I can't imagine the genre of the channel is more important information to the vast majority of people than the song title O_o.

Thanks for all the replies, I'll just be bitter until they fix it
TCM

Old 09-17-2015, 05:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 293 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by thechaosmachine
...It's true that the song shows next to the speedometer, but only briefly (2015 S Coupe)...
TCM
It depends upon how you have the display configured. (And if you're in D or S I think)

If you're in "S" it shows your selected gear. If you're in "D" you can have the audio info display all the time in the center display. It's configurable from somewhere in the menus.

Old 09-23-2015, 01:50 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by thechaosmachine
It just seems like a poorly thought out design. I can't imagine the genre of the channel is more important information to the vast majority of people than the song title
Yup, add it to the list of poorly designed features and shortcomings that didn't need to be that way, but for some inexperienced designers and engineers.

Old 09-23-2015, 02:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,583 Likes on 856 Posts

Tangentially speaking, anyone else with SIRIUS radio experience this?

My 770w system is superb - as superb as listening in a moving vehicle, never mind an F-Type, can be (in other words, it's hardly the ideal environment) with no shakes, rattles, or rolls, unless I want there to be. Here's the thing, I'm still one of those who plays CD's and when I do, the sound is outstanding. Yet when I play audio via SIRIUS (Classic Rock for example) the sound sucks! Yet, that's not true in my wife's BMW when listening to SIRIUS (and Classic Rock).

Thoughts, if any?

And if this is a thread high-jacking, MODS: feel free to move it.

Old 09-23-2015, 02:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,026 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by RickyJay52

My 770w system is superb - as superb as listening in a moving vehicle, never mind an F-Type, can be (in other words, it's hardly the ideal environment) with no shakes, rattles, or rolls, unless I want there to be. Here's the thing, I'm still one of those who plays CD's and when I do, the sound is outstanding. Yet when I play audio via SIRIUS (Classic Rock for example) the sound sucks! Yet, that's not true in my wife's BMW when listening to SIRIUS (and Classic Rock).

Thoughts, if any?

That's a common report, and there's a good reason for it. Satellite radio bandwidth is significantly compressed, and a CD, Bluetooth streaming, or flash disk drive is always going to sound better on virtually any sound system. Even FM HD radio is going to sound better.

Old 09-23-2015, 02:51 PM
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I remember satellite radio on my two prior Infiniti also sound like crap. The F-type sounds a little better but still crap. I stick with bluetooth streaming and HDradio.

Old 09-23-2015, 03:09 PM
Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

IPod sounds the best. Sirrius does not sound as deep and rich. Cds....are those the round shiny things that hang in gardens to scare away birds? People actually used to play them for sound??? What's next...metallic tape??

Old 09-23-2015, 05:13 PM
Veteran Member

Try streaming Sirius via their internet application and see if the sound quality is better than directly via Satellite. ( I personally have not done this as I don't have Sirius any longer, but I remember it mentioned somewhere...)

Old 09-23-2015, 05:14 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by 99Gsp
IPod sounds the best. Sirrius does not sound as deep and rich. Cds....are those the round shiny things that hang in gardens to scare away birds? People actually used to play them for sound??? What's next...metallic tape??
I've heard there is something called Vinyl might just work to store audio recordings!

The following users liked this post:
99Gsp (09-23-2015)
Old 09-23-2015, 05:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,635 Likes on 3,358 Posts

Originally Posted by RickyJay52

Thoughts, if any?

Jay, play with the various playback modes. I had the system set just right for Sirius and just recently starting play back through the iPhone, both hardwire and bluetooth. Both sounded like crap until I switched the playback mode. Can't remember what I went from/to, but there's only 4 choices so it doesn't take long to figure out.

Old 09-23-2015, 05:58 PM
Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

While the compressed quality of Sirius/XM Radio is questionable, it is normally good enough for typical driving unless you're playing at high volume and looking for nuances. In which case I generally use my iPhone anyway. That is my opinion anyway.

Old 09-23-2015, 06:27 PM
Veteran Member

Thank you gentlemen; and I am (mostly) well aware of the differences and/or the limitations. But here's the rub:

My wife's BMW - with the premium sound system - sounds fantastic when using SIRIUS (or when using those "shiny round objects from the last century" ) - but the F-Type does not. Hers sounds fabulous and mine sounds like s#%^!

Why should her's sound great - CD's, SIRIUS, or through her i-phone - and mine, other than CD's, sound so poor? We're still talking SIRIUS.

Believe me, when it comes to "serious" listening - which I do quite frequently - I reserve that for home. (And that's all I do; listen). I'm just curious why the discrepancy? Having said that, I might have a go at changing this or that (although I'm quite pleased with everything but SIRIUS).

Best regards,
Jay

Last edited by RickyJay52; 09-23-2015 at 07:27 PM.
Old 09-23-2015, 09:28 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Funny thought is was just my car the FM radio sounds better than SIRIUS not as much blown base sound. In my last 3 cars SIRIUS sounded better than the FM.

Old 09-23-2015, 10:03 PM
Veteran Member

Just to be clear; I use SIRIUS mostly for non-music purposes (mostly because the sound of the music coming from SIRIUS is so poor in my F-Type whereas in my wife's BMW the music coming from SIRIUS is, the vast majority of the time, excellent. Yet I'm extremely pleased with the sound in the F-Type in any other format

Oh yeah, one last thing; generally speaking and as much as I can't live without music...I don't really care (the soundtrack eminating from the car is, undoubtedly, the most glorious).