Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Exhausted question.

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2012, 05:34 PM
Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Exhausted question.

Hi Guys.

I have been trying some exhaust configurations with my local exhaust shop.
At the moment i am running standard middle section with two separate rear mufflers. This has given me a deeper tone with no cabin drone.

My question is. Has anyone removed the 2 centre resonators and replaced with H pipe or X pipe hooked up to the standard rear?

This is basically like the Milltek system. Only the Milltek has a modified rear muffler.

What are your thoughts........Cheers.

Old 11-12-2012, 07:09 PM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Yes, I have done exactly that. I had the two center resonators removed and replaced with an X pipe. I also, put in a switch in fuse 19 so i can open and close the baffles. the result, it sounds amazing when open, and mild when closed.

I am also the type that, good is never good enough. so i would like it a bit louder. i yearn for more rumble at idle.... as it sits. it is very quiet until i open the throttle a bit.

I have heard many times "wow, it sounds as good as it looks" it has a very exotic sound as it sits. In my opinion, this is how it should have come from the factory.

Old 11-14-2012, 03:02 AM
Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

I may give it a go then. Do you get any drone inside. The first rear mufflers I had on resulted in a bad drone at about 2000 rev. Are you able to do a sound rec of it. Just to give an idea......cheers

Old 11-14-2012, 09:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 594 Likes on 422 Posts

Originally Posted by muncher
I may give it a go then. Do you get any drone inside. The first rear mufflers I had on resulted in a bad drone at about 2000 rev. Are you able to do a sound rec of it. Just to give an idea......cheers
The 2000 drone is something noticed by many V8 owners. The Ford forums have tons of posts regarding the drone with after market exhausts. Some people say that the 2K drone is typical of all V8 engines, some others think that it is a Ford issue. Since Jag was owned by Ford when the V8 was developed, there seems to be a parallel.

In my case I picked up the 2K drone after installing the Mina exhaust. While I loved the exhaust I finally took it off and went back to the stock mufflers, just to eliminate the drone. The funny thing is that now I even hear, or sense it with the stock exhaust, not because it is loud but, simply by knowing that it is there. I can even make it out in my 2012 XJL when cruising at 2K RPMs over very quiet road surfaces.

Albert

Old 11-14-2012, 10:30 AM
Rey
Received 144 Likes on 100 Posts

Exhaust drone is a persistent issue that affects every V8 that I have encountered. I have researched the problem with Corvettes and actually "fixed" the problem with a Hyundai V8.
It is not so bad with manual transmissions as drivers are not so often in the low-rpm drone zone; but with auto trans low-rpm are sought by the transmission unless the transmission is kept in the "sport mode".
Manufacturers have addressed this problem with the "active exhaust" concept: under drone conditions (light throttle/low rpm) a valve inside the muffler is closed forcing exhaust gases through a convoluted routing which deadens sound and reduces drone to a barely audible level. The manufacturers I know of are recent Corvette's with "active exhaust" and the Jaguar XK & XKR. Perhaps there are others.
Both the XK & XKR have spring-loaded valves that are closed in the normal "default" driving. The principle difference is that the XK's valve is pushed open by exhaust pressure on heavy acceleration, whereas the XKR's is opened by a computer signal, which can be overridden by removal of "Fuse 19". The Jaguar system is not perfect. The valve can stick open or closed. Mine is currently stuck closed. The internal spring can break causing a annoying rattle. To my knowledge a faulty valve spring is not accessible/repairable.
In my opinion, just about all the aftermarket exhausts hugely increase audible drone. This is o.k. for some owners who want really loud exhausts, which tend to obscure the drone, or who drive continously in a sport mode.
There are only two aftermarket mfgs I know of that successfully and continuously have addressed drone. Ask around the Corvette community for confirmation (I did).
The first is Corsa, which uses a patented sound reflection technology specifically engineered for each application. Currently, they have no Jaguar applications. Perhaps if enough of us pester Corsa they will develop a Jaguar system.
The other mfg. is Dynomax who has developed their "VT Muffler" with an internal spring-loaded valve like Jaguar. Here are some pictures: vt muffler - Bing Images. These mufflers are quite cheap, less than $100. They do "work" reducing drone to a very low acceptable level. My example was my Hyundai R-Spec (5.0 liter twin cam V8 with 429 hp).
As for my own XK I think I will make some evolutionary changes which should produce more power, better mileage and a nice mellow sound.
1. I will change the cats to high performance cats. This is still a research project. You cannot do this legally in CA.
2. Probably will change the center muffler/resonator to an "X" muffler, either Dynomax or Magnaflow.
3. Change the rear muffler to a pair of Dynomax VTs.
What is presently holding me back is that I am now spending time re-engineering the air filter; and my exhaust concept is not easily reversible to stock.

The following 2 users liked this post by Rey:
axr6 (11-14-2012), bfsgross (11-17-2012)
Old 11-17-2012, 05:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 389 Posts
Default Thank you!

Hello Rey and all XK/XKR. I have a 2003 S-Type R with a bad case of the low rpm drone, worse when climbing a hill in high gear at low rpm. As for exhaust, she wears Magnaflow 200 cell high flow cats and Tru-X center muffler leading to a pair of 18"x3.5" glasspacked tube mufflers, emptying into a pair of turbo mufflers (and more mods). A pair of Walker Dynomax VT mufflers were to be utilized but opted to purchase a pair of used stock mufflers. The stock mufflers were about to be installed until this post. Now convinced VT mufflers are the way to go, I'm a bit more at ease. A 2.5" exhaust preceded the present 2.25", any takes wether a return to 2.5" is a wise move? After my last payment May 2013, an 07 XKR is my next dream Jag. All be well and have an excellent Thanksgiving.

Last edited by bfsgross; 11-17-2012 at 05:38 PM.