XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Experience with Retractable License Plate Frames

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2017, 10:53 PM
Received 76 Likes on 40 Posts
Question Experience with Retractable License Plate Frames

Well, lack of a front license plate is apparently a current emphasis item for the security police manning the entry gates to the bases here in San Antonio. I was hit up twice yesterday...

I've seen a few posts where members have installed retractable license plate frames, but haven't found any reviews on how they last over time. I would like to hear first (or second) hand experience with the Show N Go retractable license plate frame. I'm mostly interested in how the motorized version holds up to use, but I welcome thoughts on the manual type also--or on other brands for that matter.

I don't really want to limit this to the x150 crowd as I think both the device and hopefully the reviews have application for most other models but I didn't know where to post it to get the most coverage. Mods, please advise.

Looking forward to hearing about your experiences.

Old 04-11-2017, 11:14 PM
Received 316 Likes on 243 Posts

I feel your pain as being a fellow Texan myself. Never understood the need for the front plate, since whenever you are pulled over, its from the back anyways. I've heard of people getting caught using them and getting into some big trouble.

Old 04-12-2017, 05:25 AM
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Tape

In MD, a front plate is required, but the state/local police never said boo. However, the garrison police followed me, with explicit instructions: 1 wk to put the plate on or ticket.

Frankly, I have no real problem with a front plate, but I didn't want to drill holes (car came from Ohio, which doesn't require a front plate, apparently).

I used 3M wide double face tape used to affix molding to the car. Haven't had to retape, and it's been a couple of years with heat, cold, and rain, if I get caught in the latter.

I vaguely remember, like you, investigating plates that move ttc...just didn't seem real practical.

Wrair

The following users liked this post:
Old Radar (04-13-2017)
Old 04-12-2017, 07:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

You would need to check the ground clearance as one area of concern. With the present ground clearance it may be a problem to install and subject to damage. Also check your state laws as in many states they are illegal. The ticket for no front plate is a lot cheaper then having a toll cheater hidden plate. As for the front plate states they use them for laser speed enforcement , ability to read plate with their car mounted plate readers , toll road easy pass reading . All of these are revenue getters which is the primary reason. If you are creative you can mount the front plate without drilling holes in the face but then again why are you saving the drilling for the next owner. It's like putting clear plastic covers on your seats. I don't think it's a detractor when you are selling the car and if it is a problem just have them filled.

Old Radar (04-13-2017)
Old 04-12-2017, 11:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 969 Likes on 654 Posts

As Jagtoes said, where are you going to mount it? There's a belly pan under the front bumper cover. Maybe slice the bottom above the lower grill and figure some way to articulate the plate that it comes out and up but again, there's not much usable real estate behind the cover with the bumper and Styrofoam fillers.

On my '68 Ranchero I just left the front tag under the seat. When I did finally get stopped after 16 years of ownership while hauling yard clipping to a friends goats I was told to get it mounted 'or else' and 'have a nice day'. So I bolted it in place. On the XKR the front plate doesn't look out of place like some makes do.

Old 04-12-2017, 12:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,541 Likes on 1,412 Posts

In southern California, I find that the police don't care about it, but the meter maid patrol is vehement about enforcement. I get about one parking ticket a year for lack of a front plate, it's a $25.00 fine. In areas where I suspect there will be constant enforcement where I will be parked for a long time, I keep my plate in my glove box with two 4" screws, and I'll just stick them into the grill where they'll grab and stay on until I come back to the car and leave.

Old 04-12-2017, 01:05 PM
Received 420 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by Old Radar
Well, lack of a front license plate is apparently a current emphasis item for the security police manning the entry gates to the bases here in San Antonio. I was hit up twice yesterday...

I've seen a few posts where members have installed retractable license plate frames, but haven't found any reviews on how they last over time. I would like to hear first (or second) hand experience with the Show N Go retractable license plate frame. I'm mostly interested in how the motorized version holds up to use, but I welcome thoughts on the manual type also--or on other brands for that matter.

I don't really want to limit this to the x150 crowd as I think both the device and hopefully the reviews have application for most other models but I didn't know where to post it to get the most coverage. Mods, please advise.

Looking forward to hearing about your experiences.
I have the manual Show-n-Go installed, and had it put on exactly two years ago. It's performed beautifully. It's mounted to the bottom of the belly pan using the screws that came with the product, and it appears to be solid as the day it was put on.

As a front-plate is required in Nebraska, it's up most of the time, but I had it down last weekend as I was doing a Spring paint polish and completely forget I had it down. I went to put on the new license plates this morning, and discovered my error. Highly recommended product from me, FWIW.

Old Radar (04-13-2017)
Old 04-12-2017, 02:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,380 Likes on 1,607 Posts

Typical harebrained govt strong-arming.

I hope some spry attorney here gets a class action against the DOT.

That license plate in the front has the aerodynamics of a brick- moreover, they are the ones mandating we increase fuel economy. 100's of millions in gas are wasted by having the only flat thing on cars 'nowadays'. Easy to calculate, take 1square feet and multiply by the number of cars on the road. Imagine the gas consumed in moving a million sqft billboard, broadside from NY to LA, every day! yikes
Also; its been proven not to be a necessity by the many states who dont require them.

p.s I bet you could finance the case by simply asking $2 on kickstarter....loads of disgruntled drivers and manufacturers having to change styling for the sake of stupidity.

ralphwg (04-12-2017)
Old 04-13-2017, 08:19 PM
Received 76 Likes on 40 Posts

It seems that this is not a popular accessory among the x150 crowd. My main concern from reviews on the product is the quality of the build. There are a lot of complaints about the motor crapping out and some take a dim view of the strength of the material.

I hadn’t considered the legal aspects of using one. I was looking to preserve the aesthetics of the car’s design—not to try to dodge tolls. But now that I think about it, I can see how John Law would frown upon it.

When I bought the car, it had a front plate with the contoured mounting bracket and I haven’t yet filled in the holes it left. I guess I will be a conformist on this issue and live to fight another day when the stakes are higher.

Thanks everyone, for your insights.

Old 04-14-2017, 09:19 AM
Rey
Received 144 Likes on 100 Posts

In addition to requiring a front license plate, there is usually a height requirement. This height requirement causes manufacturers to locate front license plates in visually ugly locations. I have lowered license plate locations in many cars; and in each case it looks much better now that the plate is not competing so much with the esthetics of the car. My experience is that the relocation is ignored by police.

Old 04-18-2017, 09:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 359 Likes on 254 Posts

I added the manual "Show 'N Go" 2 years ago after receiving a $70 ticket, which I fought in court and had reduced to $24. It works very well, I mounted it as noted and only drilled one additional hole in the belly pan. I thought about the electric but decided: "KISS".

Attached Thumbnails Experience with Retractable License Plate Frames-img_6049.jpg   Experience with Retractable License Plate Frames-img_0559.jpg   Experience with Retractable License Plate Frames-fullsizerender.jpg  
Old 04-19-2017, 04:36 AM
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Would you add a picture with the plate up?

Thanks in advance, Ken.

Best, Wrair (Rockville! Area)

Old 04-19-2017, 06:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 359 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by wrair
Would you add a picture with the plate up?

Thanks in advance, Ken.

Best, Wrair (Rockville! Area)
Here you be........
I mounted in the middle so as to be between the oil coolers mounted on either side.

Attached Thumbnails Experience with Retractable License Plate Frames-img_6048.jpg   Experience with Retractable License Plate Frames-img_3915.jpg  
The following 3 users liked this post by RedRider48:
guy (04-25-2017), ralphwg (04-19-2017), wrair (04-19-2017)