XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

TPMS Warning Fault

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2017, 10:40 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default TPMS Warning Fault

My 2010 XKR was tucked away in a climate controlled storage for most of the winter about 72F (22C). The battery had been disconnected for a short while only. On a nice dry day I took it out for an exhilerating drive as I couldn't wait for spring to arrive. The outside temperature was 36F (2C). Within literally a couple of minutes the TPMS warning light came on. It did not highlight any one tire being under spec pressure. Upon arriving home I checked all pressures to spec. After another short drive the warning light continue to stay on.

Reading on this forum about similar problems, I performed the recommended lowering pressures to 18 psi and increasing back up to spec of 30 for the fronts and 33 for the rears. Then I took the car for a 50 mile return trip on the highway and light remained on the entire time.

I then took the car to my local tire store. The mechanic checked each wheel sensor with his hand held TPMS diagnostic tool to confirm each sensor was individual, all 4 battery levels were active with a pass and all sensors were transmitting correctly. He then plugged his MaxiTPMS tool into the OBC (on board computer) via a CATV cable to re-learn the codes. The OBC would not recognize or re-learn from his hand held diagnostic tool.

Perhaps the short term battery disconnect has interrupted the sensors intermitted signal whereby the receiver module needs a code re-set.

Strangely enough another issue was effected with the battery disconnect was the automatic fold in outside mirrors upon locking the car. However after plugging in my C-Tek battery tender for the last couple of months, this default fold in feature has self corrected itself where they are back to folding in upon locking the car.

So perhaps it is just a matter of having the learning codes re-set. Any members had similar experiences and if so what does a Jag dealer typically charge for this recalibration re-set?

Thanks
Cat2

Old 04-06-2017, 11:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Someone can chime in here but I believe when you disconnect the battery long enough for the various capacitors to drain upon reconnection the car goes back to factory settings. Check the vehicle settings and adjust accordingly. Your shift points will readjust to your driving. If a convertible you need to reset the windows also. I guess the lesson learned here is to leave the battery connected . Also what was the tire pressures when you took it out for the 1st drive .

Old 04-06-2017, 11:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,164 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Hmmm. I've done the opposite. I overinflated my tires to 37 PSI and drove around for a few days (though the light went off almost immediately). After a week I set the tires back to spec and the light didn't return.

And my problem occurred at temp similar to yours.

Old 04-06-2017, 08:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,540 Likes on 1,411 Posts

33psi is not enough to get rid of the warning. Inflate to 40psi and it should disappear. Then deflate to no less than 33psi (but probably more like 35). 30psi will trigger the warning every single time.

Old 04-06-2017, 10:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,132 Likes on 3,379 Posts

Originally Posted by Cat2
... Perhaps the short term battery disconnect has interrupted the sensors intermitted signal whereby the receiver module needs a code re-set. ... So perhaps it is just a matter of having the learning codes re-set. Any members had similar experiences and if so what does a Jag dealer typically charge for this recalibration re-set?

Thanks
Cat2
Make sure your battery is fully charged. Over-inflate each tire per tberg and Sean W 's advice. Go for a drive and the TPMS should automatically re-learn within 5 miles. Dealer input shouldn't be needed. Then reduce the tire pressures to the specs on the door jamb sticker. See your Owners Handbook for the procedure for changing a flat tire and the TPMS system.

Old 04-10-2017, 08:47 AM
Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

After I shipped my car to another country (and it had been disconnected for 2 months), the first time I drove it, I believed I had broken the car completely.. literally every light on the dash came on in the first 5 minutes.. ESP errors, Cruise Control errors, pedestrian errors, and whatever else it could find.. but after a restart the next day.. everything was fine again.. .. apparently they get cranky when not used daily

Old 04-10-2017, 08:53 AM
Veteran Member

Cat2, did you resolve this trying the overinflated method?

Old 04-10-2017, 07:06 PM

So first off thank you for your replies and advise.

Here is an update as of this evening. A few hours ago with the car running, I dropped each tires air pressure one at a time to 18 psi. Upon checking the warning light, it was alternating between the "Tire Pressure System Fault" and the picture of the car showing the highlighted tire "Check Tire Pressure" At no time when I inflated the tires to 40 psi did it flash the same alternating warnings.

I repeated this same exercise for all 4 tires. Again at the under inflated 18 psi I consistently got the alternating between the check tire pressure and the tire pressure system fault.

Upon turning the car off and waiting for a period of time and turning the car back on the "Tire Pressure System Fault" warning light came on and stayed on. The only thing I did not do this evening was to take the care for a drive. Do you think taking it for another drive is the secret to success?

Still a mystery as the TPMS did successful detect and read only the low 18 psi pressures, but not the 40 psi high range pressure nor the spec pressures. I have booked a service appointment next week at Jaguar. I am hoping it is just a learning code reset from the battery disconnect back in January for a short 2 week period.

Much obliged
Cat2

Old 04-10-2017, 07:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,887 Likes on 1,281 Posts

The TPMS only reports under inflation, not over inflation. So as recommended above, over inflate, and go for a drive.

Old 04-11-2017, 01:12 PM

Sorry to report, zero success with all of the recommendations.

This morning I over inflated the tires to 38 psi on all four tires. I went for a 30 minute 25 mile drive and the "Tire Pressure System Fault" remained on the entire time.

In an early thread I had confirmed when I lowered each tire to 18 psi, each tire initiated the "Check Tire Pressure" and alternated back and forth with the "Tire Pressure System Fault" Also as mentioned earlier the tire store with their hand held MaxiTPMS diagnostic took confirmed the all sensors actively working, transmitting a battery active pass and the correct tire pressures.

Puzzling for sure, when other members have had success with the under inflate and over inflate go for a drive resolve method.

Still scheduled to visit Jaguar next week and will advise back on what they find?

Thank again,
Cat2

Old 04-11-2017, 11:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 788 Posts

I had the same problem with my 2009 XKR. The TPMS warning light stayed on. No matter what I did, I could not get the light to go off.

Finally I ordered a complete new set of Siemens TPMS for the Jaguar. Took them down to Discount Tire and had them remove the TPMS and replace with the new.

Guess what...problem resoved and TPMS warning light never came back on. The XKR learned the new TPMS within 10 minutes.

Here is what you need to buy.

VDO SE53001 TPMS Sensor Assembly

Amazon Amazon

Cost is about $50.00 each and cost to install about $10.00 each.

Problem resolved.

This TPMS issue frustrated me beyond belief as I tried everything possible. Finallly broke down and bought the new TPMS, and was so glad I did.

Old 04-11-2017, 11:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,180 Likes on 893 Posts

I had a similar problem with my 12 vert. The dealer informed that the wire from the fl to fr is very delicate and runs behind the front bumper; occasionally it gets pinched and shorts out. It sounds to me like this may be the issue with your TPMS.

Old 04-12-2017, 04:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,538 Likes on 889 Posts

Got to love the jaguars little electrical gremlins, i get the tpms warning popping up every now and again (regardless of the psi) It's been happening since day dot

Last edited by steve_k_xk; 04-12-2017 at 04:52 AM.
Old 04-12-2017, 06:16 AM

Thanks again for the few extra replies.

Interesting comment from raplhwg about a possible pinchd wire behind the front bumper. I know the initiators are located behind the front bumper. I did have the occasion to have the front bumper dropped back in January. Maybe there is a good chance when the front bumper was reinstalled the initiator clips and connecting wires were not put back correctly. This also coincides to when the battery was disconnected for a short period of time too. The TPMS Tire Pressure System Fault showed up immediately after this.

So I think we are down to 2 solutions, check the imitators / wiring or a code re-set. Will confirm back to you my findings.

Cat2

Old 04-12-2017, 09:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 788 Posts

TPMS Initiators are on all 4 wheels located under the wheel well covers.

There is also a thread on the electrical wire located near the front bumper that failed on one other XK/XKR owner's car that was addressed.

Keep in mind these TPMS have batteries that can not be replaced and life varies from 7 to 10 years. Once they start to fail, you simply remove and replace the TPMS units.

Certainly you will be required to conduct more trouble shooting to correct your problem or take the risk to spend $200 and replace them all. Eventually all TPMS will have to be replaced, they do not last forever, so why not replace them now.

Old 04-12-2017, 03:12 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Cat2
Thanks again for the few extra replies.

Interesting comment from raplhwg about a possible pinchd wire behind the front bumper. I know the initiators are located behind the front bumper. I did have the occasion to have the front bumper dropped back in January. Maybe there is a good chance when the front bumper was reinstalled the initiator clips and connecting wires were not put back correctly. This also coincides to when the battery was disconnected for a short period of time too. The TPMS Tire Pressure System Fault showed up immediately after this.

So I think we are down to 2 solutions, check the imitators / wiring or a code re-set. Will confirm back to you my findings.

Cat2
Yep here is the link from flyc2c's post addressing pinched wire. As Richard mentions, the antenna's are located being the fender guard (wheel well) in front. Unscrew the fronts, bend it back and you'll see them (they look like little tennis rackets. Two push pins hold each one in. Flyc2c recommended swapping them L to R, which I did and the problem disappeared:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...repair-143519/

Last edited by Sean W; 04-12-2017 at 03:14 PM.
Old 04-19-2017, 04:39 PM
Default TPMS Warning Fault

Good news to report.........

Follow up with my local Jaguar Dealership, TPMS successfully recalibrated and reset. Tire Pressure System Fault light is now out.

No pinched sensor wires, under inflating and over inflating the tires and driving 40 miles did nothing to cure the problem.

Dealer confirmed the short 1 to 2 week battery disconnect caused the code fault.

Glad to have this issue resolved and thanks to the forum members for their assistance.

Cat2

Old 04-19-2017, 05:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 969 Likes on 654 Posts

I guess that's good and bad. Mine ran OK for a couple days and then popped the codes. I also got a headlamp aim fault lamp so I suspect that my front end hit damage is responsible.

Good for you to get it resolved.