Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Facelifting a 2006 XKR

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2016, 05:13 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Facelifting a 2006 XKR

Hi all

I am looking at buying either a 2006 Jaguar XKR or Porsche 911 C2S. I already own a S1 1967 Jaguar E-type FHC which I absolutely love so the thought of having a newer XKR is very appealing. The only problem is I hate the headlamps on the early pre facelift cars so I was wondering how easy it would be to replace update the headlamps and bumper to give the car the newer style front end. I assume the bonnet will also need replacing but are there any other parts needed for a conversion?

If someone has done this before then please can you post a list of the parts needed for a conversion and a rough idea of the cost and work involved.

Any help would be much appreciated

Thanks

Trevor

Old 10-17-2016, 06:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 590 Likes on 317 Posts

You could do as i did and put a mod on the lights gives less of a bug eyed look, IMO ours has the nicest bumper.

Name:  eyebrows%20new1_zpsfvlplpzu.jpg
Views: 1514
Size:  223.5 KB

Name:  eyebrow%20new%203_zpsimezu6fg.jpg
Views: 1184
Size:  238.4 KB

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
eyebrows%20new1_zpsfvlplpzu.jpg (223.5 KB, 118 views)
Old 10-17-2016, 07:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

I rather like the XK headlights as is! The updated ones are nice too.

The following users liked this post:
XJDanny (11-20-2016)
Old 10-17-2016, 12:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,893 Likes on 1,284 Posts

There was another member that did this, and may be able to help out with the parts needed. However, as of his last posting in his thread, he had not gotten the full headlight functionality working:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...pinout-152270/

More recently, another owner has started collecting parts to do a similar thing, and may be able to tell you what he has determined is needed:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...s-line-170288/

I also think there was an old thread from an owner doing this, and he too ran into issues with the headlight connector. Don't recall if he ever got it sorted out either.

While you're at it, you might as well update the taillights as well. Get the LED lights with dual fog and backup lights, so no more comments about one of your backup lights being burned out.

The following users liked this post:
sherbercars (10-20-2016)
Old 10-17-2016, 06:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,183 Likes on 895 Posts

Trev S - Check with Adamesh,l they are a UK Co. and have lots of aftermarket experience. Also you could check with Arden they are a German aftermarket supplier. Another UK supplier is Priince. Good hunting!!

Old 10-18-2016, 03:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,538 Likes on 889 Posts

How about just updating the front bar to a 2010 ?

Attached Images   
Old 10-18-2016, 07:38 AM
Veteran Member

That doesn't address the OP's desire to change the headlights.

Old 10-18-2016, 07:59 AM
Veteran Member

Just go for this transformation look sleek and modern.

http://www.grantleydesign.com/Jaguar...r_sale_red.htm

JAGUAR XK8 / XKR BODY STYLING KIT BY GRANTLEY DESIGN

Last edited by powerhouse; 10-18-2016 at 08:09 AM.
Old 10-18-2016, 11:26 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by powerhouse
Just go for this transformation look sleek and modern.

Jaguar XK super car styling

JAGUAR XK8 / XKR BODY STYLING KIT BY GRANTLEY DESIGN
For a mere 10,000 pounds. Put it on my Christmas list...

Old 10-18-2016, 11:52 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by kj07xk
For a mere 10,000 pounds. Put it on my Christmas list...
There was one on ebay for sale some time ago, it was sold, there is 2 out there finished , wonder has any member one, has one turned up at a show. Have to say it looks modern in style and nice on the eye, think if you wanted a body kit, i'd forget other front splitters, diffusers etc and get this.

Old 10-18-2016, 02:24 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by kj07xk
That doesn't address the OP's desire to change the headlights.
Kj i was just suggesting updating the front bumper to the 2010 shape and not the full conversion due to the following reasons

a) The bug style headlights are less noticeable with the newer style bumper swap the OP might be happy just doing that.

b) The sheer price, time and effort required to change the hood , fenders, bumper, headlights then make sure the color match to the rest of the vehicle is correct will be a huge job

c) With just the bumper swap the OP can simply swap it back to the original when it comes time to sell. Im just unsure how one would go with trying to sell a vehicle with a whole front end conversion .

Last edited by steve_k_xk; 10-18-2016 at 02:30 PM.
Old 10-18-2016, 02:52 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by steve_k_xk
Kj i was just suggesting updating the front bumper to the 2010 shape and not the full conversion due to the following reasons

a) The bug style headlights are less noticeable with the newer style bumper swap the OP might be happy just doing that.

b) The sheer price, time and effort required to change the hood , fenders, bumper, headlights then make sure the color match to the rest of the vehicle is correct will be a huge job

c) With just the bumper swap the OP can simply swap it back to the original when it comes time to sell. Im just unsure how one would go with trying to sell a vehicle with a whole front end conversion .
a) You are correct, there is a lot more going on up front with the newer bumper, distracting one from the dominant headlights on the original setup.

b) Agreed. I'd shop for a new model, rather than doing those changes, but that's just me. But for the OP, it may just be 'something to do', kind of like a hobby.

c) If the job was well done, and looks good, I don't see that affecting a future sale. I'm not a purest, if it looks good, and pushes my buttons, I buy it. I knew nothing about the various differences between the model years when I bought mine. It was within my budget, and I liked the way it looked... sold! I suspect more car purchases are based on emotion than logic.

Old 10-18-2016, 03:10 PM
Veteran Member

I'm with you kj07xk, as you said in , c) If the job was well done, and looks good, I don't see that affecting a future sale. I'm not a purest, if it looks good, and pushes my buttons, I buy it. I knew nothing about the various differences between the model years when I bought mine. It was within my budget, and I liked the way it looked... sold! I suspect more car purchases are based on emotion than logic.

The option i see is like this, if it was me, now when i see the Grantley body kit, if i was going to change the front end, add, diffuser,side sills etc look at the money it would cost and it would still look like a discontinued model, I had priced a whole kit ,original type and it was a lot of money when fitting and painting are considered , i'd go that bit extra and fit the Grantley kit for a bit more money and you have something stylish and modern looking, which other jag owners would take notice of, whether they like it or not.

Old 10-18-2016, 03:53 PM
Veteran Member

Personally for me I'd either go subdue changes which would include front bar, larger bootlid spoiler (not the rs gt wing) and LED tail lights just like kj

Or if the OP has his heart set on a full on project go all out on the Grantley Design you know that kit will sure tutn heads

Last edited by steve_k_xk; 10-18-2016 at 03:59 PM.
Old 10-18-2016, 04:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 788 Posts

Keep the Jaguar XKE and buy the Porsche 911 CS2.

Own 2 different brands that are top notch rides and classics.

I love my Jaguar XKR and my Porsche 981. Both different rides, both remarkable sports cars.

Old 10-20-2016, 04:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 139 Likes on 95 Posts

Yes im in the process of collecting parts to upgrade my 08 XKR to a XKRS , to upgrade to a later XKR would be a lot less cost as XKRS parts are very expensive and hard to get hold of ' Fist you will need a Bumper there are 2010 bumpers on ebay motors for approx $350 next you will need both front fenders I have found them at Barrett Jaguar , order threw William. He can get them at a very good price Approx $ 700 each ( new ) You do not need to change your hood .Lights Are very expensive But I have found a vender on Ebay that has Take offs from new cars for $750 a pair , He also has them for other model Jaguars . I will look up his info and post it on this post. you are also going to need new grills try ( Chris at Mina Gallery ) the other parts you will need are the power vents and emblems for the side of the fenders. next you will need the head light washers , Again you should be able to get these parts from William at Barrett.
I wish I had gone that way now as the XKRS parts are very hard to get hold of as the Jaguar dealers we not sell them unless you own the original . Also ask William if he can still get the rear LED tail lights at a very good price . BERNIE

Old 10-20-2016, 04:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 139 Likes on 95 Posts
Default Changing the front from 2006 to 2010-12

Originally Posted by sherbercars
Yes im in the process of collecting parts to upgrade my 08 XKR to a XKRS , to upgrade to a later XKR would be a lot less cost as XKRS parts are very expensive and hard to get hold of ' First you will need a Bumper there are 2010 bumpers on ebay motors for approx $350 next you will need both front fenders I have found them at Barrett Jaguar , order threw William. He can get them at a very good price Approx $ 700 each ( new ) You do not need to change your hood .Lights Are very expensive But I have found a vender on Ebay that has Take offs from new cars for $750 a pair , He also has them for other model Jaguars . I will look up his info and post it on this post. you are also going to need new grills try ( Chris at Mina Gallery ) the other parts you will need are the power vents and emblems for the side of the fenders. next you will need the head light washers , Again you should be able to get these parts from William at Barrett.
I wish I had gone that way now as the XKRS parts are very hard to get hold of as the Jaguar dealers we not sell them unless you own the original . Also ask William if he can still get the rear LED tail lights at a very good price . BERNIE
xxxxxxxxxxx

Old 10-20-2016, 05:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 651 Likes on 477 Posts

Unless there is a collector version, its generally best just to get the car with the options you want in the first place.

Old 10-20-2016, 05:32 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by sherbercars
xxxxxxxxxxx
would it not be better just to buy a car with all the features, more hassle than it's worth when you can buy a factory car with all.

Old 10-21-2016, 04:12 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by powerhouse
would it not be better just to buy a car with all the features, more hassle than it's worth when you can buy a factory car with all.
With powerhouse on that one

Quick Reply: Facelifting a 2006 XKR