XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

First impression quicksilver exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2013, 09:31 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default First impression quicksilver exhaust Videos added new videos with stock center taking

Hi guys I thought I spend some time and ask some questions regarding my newly modded xkr.

I have the 08 4.2 xkr and I removed the fuse 19 and was pleasantly surprised at the difference at lower rpm when accelerating as it had a bit more roar but still was subdued compared to a Aston or other high end sports cars yet at wot it was great. As stated in my other post I was hooked up with a quicksilver exhaust that I just put on today.

Fit and finish is impeccable as expected as it's one of the more $$$ exhausts for our cars. My guys at the shop said it fit perfect and was a breeze to put on.

Ok so the good parts push the start button and right away it's clear this beast has been upgraded as it is much louder. The first roar is impressive then it gets quite to a low faint rumble . I then hit the gas and at WOT this thing screams I mean compared to stock well it just isn't in the same league . I love it , it's well sublime... Now the parts I need a little advice on , at certain rpm 's it is insane loud in the cabin with a drone.. 2k-2.5k it is way to loud so every time I take of from a light it seems louder than it is at WOT ...

If you want people to not look then keep the stock as everyone looks as it is loud. I am curious if people can confirm or tell me from experience if there is a way to get the lower rpm quiter as man it is a big leap from stock that perhaps even me 33yrs old and a car nut might not want so loud. I can definitely understand why a more mature clientele would prefer stock as that is why the silver xkr at my dealership took some time to sell until they put the stock back on.

Anyhow I am giving it a few days to see as I love certain parts but also could pass on certain parts.. It's a love hate.... I just find the drone around 2-3rpm it gets so loud then at idle quite and at high rpm loud but a different sound. Any insight would be great and if you want a loud exhaust or a sweet sweet sound at wot quicksilver is great. Oh ya the throttle response is noticeably quicker , power I can't say yes or no as it's not crazy noticeable but the noise makes it feel quicker that's for sure lol

Attached Thumbnails First impression quicksilver exhaust-image.jpg  

Last edited by Cambo; 10-15-2013 at 08:44 PM. Reason: Add to title for clarity re vids
Old 10-09-2013, 09:37 PM

I'll try and use my iphone to take a quick vid to post in the next few days

Old 10-10-2013, 12:35 AM

Vid it's not great sorry , iphone 5s is pretty good though just need to find a well lot spot that didn't get busy ...

Old 10-10-2013, 12:36 AM
The following users liked this post:
Stormdk (10-10-2013)
Old 10-10-2013, 12:39 AM
The following users liked this post:
ConroeXKR (10-10-2013)
Old 10-10-2013, 06:07 AM
Received 50 Likes on 23 Posts

wow that sounds great...

Sorry dont know regarding the drone.

Just bought this myself...

hope it will sound as good as yours...

Old 10-10-2013, 11:57 AM
Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts
Default Which?

Is ity the QS Sports or Supersports version?

Old 10-10-2013, 01:53 PM

Hi Mike V sorry I dot know which version it is.. I grabbed it and drove it to the shop and they put it on... I am starting to like it more and more but it's just weird that at certain rpm it's so loud and then quiets after or before I hit that spot in the rev range.. It's a odd spot I guess is my point...

Stormdk you will be happy I'm sure... When I drive wot I can stop lol the und is sweet music .. Just need to figure out this drone around 2300rpm

The following 2 users liked this post by Chromey35:
Mike V (10-11-2013), Stormdk (10-10-2013)
Old 10-10-2013, 02:00 PM
Received 134 Likes on 102 Posts

Should be cheap to simply add a resonator to help with drone.

Old 10-10-2013, 02:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 492 Likes on 310 Posts

You can also have a competent shop add a cross over pipe to the exhaust which will kill the drone and not add any exhaust restriction. I know this worked well on other cars I've had in the past.

Sorry If I haven't introduced myself, just thought I'd help. I purchased a 2013 XKR a month ago and having a new exhaust, tune and pulley installed tomorrow. Still waiting on the wheels to be completed Very happy with the XKR as its a great car!

Old 10-10-2013, 02:41 PM
Received 98 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by MaximA
You can also have a competent shop add a cross over pipe to the exhaust which will kill the drone and not add any exhaust restriction. I know this worked well on other cars I've had in the past.

Sorry If I haven't introduced myself, just thought I'd help. I purchased a 2013 XKR a month ago and having a new exhaust, tune and pulley installed tomorrow. Still waiting on the wheels to be completed Very happy with the XKR as its a great car!
The first two videos sound almost exactly like my XK with stock cats, single resonator then straight pipes out the back (muffler delete) $275 at my local speed shop. No drone for me.
Was thinking of adding a cross over pipe to mix the gases to get a more European sound. I'm I correct in this thinking? Right now it sounds more Nascar.
Thanks

Old 10-10-2013, 02:48 PM
Received 134 Likes on 102 Posts

The QS exhaust DOES have a crossover pipe.

Old 10-10-2013, 02:48 PM
Veteran Member

The drone you are hearing is a resonation and adding a crossover or x pipe between the two will cause that noise to be canceled, as well as make it slightly quieter without adding back pressure. If you want to make it noticeably quieter then resonators are the way to go. I'm headed to the shop to drop off my car now so I will ask them the same question as I have the same concern. I think the stock exhaust is way to quiet even in Dynamic Mode but I also don't want my car sounding like a Mustang.

Old 10-10-2013, 03:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,122 Likes on 795 Posts

The Jag Performance Active Exhaust (standard on the R-S, optional on the R) has a crossover, and that seems to work well. There's very little drone, except at certain constant speeds that you're unlikely to achieve anywhere except Germany. I did notice a bit of drone during my recent trip, but speed was well over 100 at the time.

Old 10-11-2013, 09:17 AM
Veteran Member

Looking at the pictures on Quick Silvers website it looks like it already has a center resonator, unless they removed it on your car. My system has a X pipe so I'll let you know what the end result is when I pick up the car this evening. I'm hoping there is no low RPM drone that will drive me crazy.

Old 10-11-2013, 09:45 AM
Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts
Default Sports vs Supersports

Originally Posted by Chromey35
Hi Mike V sorry I dot know which version it is.. I grabbed it and drove it to the shop and they put it on... I am starting to like it more and more but it's just weird that at certain rpm it's so loud and then quiets after or before I hit that spot in the rev range.. It's a odd spot I guess is my point...
It's easy to tell,
1 Resonator=Supersports
2 Resonators=Sports

I haven't seen a crossover on the Jaguar QS models.

This is a pic of the Sports
http://www.quicksilverexhausts.com/b...ver-JR732S.jpg
and the Supersports
http://www.quicksilverexhausts.com/b...ct%20sheet.jpg

Old 10-11-2013, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by Mike V
It's easy to tell,
1 Resonator=Supersports
2 Resonators=Sports

I haven't seen a crossover on the Jaguar QS models.

This is a pic of the Sports
http://www.quicksilverexhausts.com/b...ver-JR732S.jpg
and the Supersports
http://www.quicksilverexhausts.com/b...ct%20sheet.jpg

This clears it up I have the super sport 100%... Can I add the extra resonator or where would I get a cross pipe ? I mean what section does it replace. Lol I feel like I'm getting use to the crazy sound but I can def see how most would hate it. If I can kill the high sound at 2300rpm ish it would be perfect..

Old 10-11-2013, 10:26 AM

It's strange as outside the car you can not tell the sound change like inside the cabin. Inside the cabin is you accelerate the car starts fine for a split second then this overwhelming sound vibrates the car and then disappears into what you guys hear in the vids.. Anyhow I'll keep investigating and maybe ask my local shop regarding there opinions ....

Old 10-11-2013, 12:17 PM
Veteran Member

If you have a resonator adding a second as in the sport system is what you need. I crossover wouldn't help. If I can figure out how to attached images(without URL) I'll show you what my exhaust with the cross over looks like. I have no resonators so man this things gonna be loud!

Old 10-11-2013, 06:14 PM

Lol the more I drive it he more I don't care but people on the sidewalks seem to notice

Quick Reply: First impression quicksilver exhaust