XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

FYI -- Windshield washer spritzer

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2017, 12:37 PM
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Default FYI -- Windshield washer spritzer

My driver side windshield washer spritzer stopped, well, spritzing, while the passenger side was fine.

The fault was the connector under the drivers arm being disconnected from the hose attached to the arm. See attachment: the yellow circled white piece (connector) goes into a rubber coupler under the arm marked by the purple line I've drawn.

All is good.

I have a suspicion that when I purchased the car used with 4 months of warranty, I had my local Jag dealer index (take the drivers wiper arm off the spindle) because it would bang the bottom. I presume he stretched the hose, and it took a couple of years to works its way out. Considering I hardly use the wipers, I can understand why it took so long to happen.

Other info is that I stupidly thought the nozzle was clogged. I could not figure out how to remove the nozzle. Turning it does not unscrew it, but rather allows one to direct the spray. It is powerful, at one position it went right over the roof and wet the hatchback window.

Take care,
Wrair

Attached Thumbnails FYI -- Windshield washer spritzer-spritzer_hose_hilite.jpg  
Old 09-02-2017, 01:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,897 Likes on 1,286 Posts

Had a similar problem when I first got my car. Found the driver's side washer hose disconnected at a tee near the center of the car, under the cowling below the windshield.
Put a small plastic hose clamp on it (leftover from the wife's hanging pot irrigation system) to make sure it doesn't slip off again.

Old 01-31-2022, 11:54 AM
Received 118 Likes on 73 Posts

Does anyone know what to ask for when looking for a replacement rubber grommet for the washer hose through the cowl? Mine disintegrated and I need to replace it. It's below the square plastic elbow in the diagram, and also shown in the above comment photo.

Old 03-20-2022, 07:57 PM

The only way to get a replacement grommet is to order the entire cowl.... Mine was in rough shape anyways, so that's what i did.

Installation of the cowl was surprisingly difficult... It fought me every step of the way. There is a rigid plastic moulding that fits onto the glass, that has a groove that the cowl fits into. It's incredibly difficult to snap the cowl into this this rigid trim because the trim bends as you press down on the cowl.

I had to wedge a plastic pry bar between the body and the trim so the cowl could snap into it.

Also, the cowl comes with a strip of windshield sealant that fixes it to the glass for a water tight seal... The paper backing is extremely thin, so it just tears apart every inch or two. Frustrated with the slow progress, i pulled up the cowl to remove the paper backing for the adhesive strip and try again.

If you've ever dealt with windshield adhesive, you know it's a mess of black tar like substance. So, trying to manage not getting adhesive everywhere, aligning the cowl to the push clips, and snapping it into the moulding trim was a challenge...

An easy job that took me hours of frustrating effort to complete!

Old 03-21-2022, 09:27 AM
guy
Veteran Member
Received 1,010 Likes on 717 Posts

Rubber grommet…. why not just head to an auto supply store and find a grommet of the appropriate size. A trick I learned in the past is to cut a slit from the centre hole to the side. It helps in inserting a replacement grommet when there are other components in the way.

Old 03-21-2022, 09:29 AM

It's not a standard grommet... It's a high pressure rubber elbow that the plastic connectors for the washer line fit into.