XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Getting car delivered tomorrow do I tip the guy??

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2011, 06:45 AM
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Getting car delivered tomorrow do I tip the guy??

Old 08-02-2011, 07:00 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Give him a Smart car.

Old 08-02-2011, 07:19 AM
Dan
Received 32 Likes on 9 Posts

I never have. Given the cost of shipping a car I wouldn't think tipping would be necessary.

Old 08-02-2011, 07:21 AM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

If it doesn't go into 'limp mode' on the way - buy him a beer mate.

Old 08-02-2011, 07:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,749 Likes on 7,100 Posts

Originally Posted by quaker13

If you feel that he deserves something extra, yes, by all means.

- Was he particularly polite?
- Do you sense he took especially good care of your car?
- Was there anything about the pick-up and delivery that required extra effort?
- If you had special requests were they accomodated?

In other words...pretty much the same as with anyone who provides a service.

Cheers
DD

Old 08-02-2011, 08:58 AM
Received 123 Likes on 104 Posts

I gave my transporter a $40 tip after going over the car and watching him unload it like he was caring for one of his own kids. I don't my paying for good service and figured the driver wasn't getting rich doing this. I will also say he was very prompt and called several days in a row keeping me posted on his progress to my location.

Old 08-02-2011, 10:53 AM
Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

@Mountaincat....which company did you use?

Old 08-02-2011, 12:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Quaker13 - we are going to be twins - I (finally) get my 2007 XKR Convertible tomorrow.

Only difference - I've got to go and get my own! Still it's only 25 miles and I get to drive it home.

Old 08-02-2011, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by C_Dub
Hey Quaker13 - we are going to be twins - I (finally) get my 2007 XKR Convertible tomorrow.

Only difference - I've got to go and get my own! Still it's only 25 miles and I get to drive it home.
Sweet, this is my first bachelor car and i'm looking forward to the attention i will inevitably receive. Did i mention the performance?

Old 08-02-2011, 02:52 PM
Received 123 Likes on 104 Posts

elindo,

I used Montway Auto Transport (Chicago,IL) autosmoving.com. These guys act as a broker in most cases although I believe they have their own trucks. Montway contracted with a transport company out of Florida (Pasco Express Transport Inc.) Ph.# 727-919-6149. Good Luck

Old 08-02-2011, 10:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,136 Likes on 3,382 Posts
Default Tip this!

Originally Posted by quaker13
I agree with Doug, #5 above. The facts are not clear - is delivery by a local dealer's employee or a long haul auto transporter? Who paid for delivery? If you did, there is no need to tip unless there are special circumstances. If a courtesy delivery by a local dealer, my thoughts are below.

Quaker13, I note that you are in DC - the land of the free (spenders) and the home of the brave (budget minded). I presume that you are a rich Republican, since you can afford to buy a new Jaguar, and the delivery man is a poor Democrat who expects you to pay your "fair share". If you feel sorry for him, by all means be charitable and give him a tip. Otherwise, he is already being paid by his employer for his services; he's bringing you a car, not a steak! If he asks for a tip, you can tell him that he can thank you for working hard to earn the money to buy the Jaguar that enabled him to keep his job.

I don't understand why Obama thinks that the rich aren't already paying their fair share. Doesn't Obama realize that "fairness" comes from the Bible? After all, robbing Peter to pay Paul is always fair to Paul...but you wind up with a sore Peter!

A day without a laugh is a day without sunshine.

Last edited by Stuart S; 08-02-2011 at 10:51 PM. Reason: Assumed delivery by local Jag dealer
Old 08-03-2011, 02:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,166 Likes on 1,610 Posts

Originally Posted by Stuart S
I don't understand why Obama thinks that the rich aren't already paying their fair share.
Because they aren't.

The accumulated deficit is simply the amount of money that the advantaged have managed to avoid paying with respect the acts of the government performed in the name of the people for the common good.

Not everyone agrees on what the government of the day should do, but that is the cost of a democracy. Once the election is over, everyone needs to get on board with the program.

Old 08-03-2011, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by plums
Because they aren't.

The accumulated deficit is simply the amount of money that the advantaged have managed to avoid paying with respect the acts of the government performed in the name of the people for the common good.

Not everyone agrees on what the government of the day should do, but that is the cost of a democracy. Once the election is over, everyone needs to get on board with the program.
Well said.

Old 08-03-2011, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by Stuart S
I agree with Doug, #5 above. The facts are not clear - is delivery by a local dealer's employee or a long haul auto transporter? Who paid for delivery? If you did, there is no need to tip unless there are special circumstances. If a courtesy delivery by a local dealer, my thoughts are below.

Quaker13, I note that you are in DC - the land of the free (spenders) and the home of the brave (budget minded). I presume that you are a rich Republican, since you can afford to buy a new Jaguar, and the delivery man is a poor Democrat who expects you to pay your "fair share". If you feel sorry for him, by all means be charitable and give him a tip. Otherwise, he is already being paid by his employer for his services; he's bringing you a car, not a steak! If he asks for a tip, you can tell him that he can thank you for working hard to earn the money to buy the Jaguar that enabled him to keep his job.

I don't understand why Obama thinks that the rich aren't already paying their fair share. Doesn't Obama realize that "fairness" comes from the Bible? After all, robbing Peter to pay Paul is always fair to Paul...but you wind up with a sore Peter!

A day without a laugh is a day without sunshine.
LOL. The vehicle is far far far from new. To your point, I am of the opinion that the middle class and upper middle class should pay less taxes and the uber rich should pay more. Meaning folks that earn a household income 250k-1mil should pay SIGNIFICANTLY less taxes and folks earning 1mil - 5mil should pay a little more, and so on and so on.I am also of the mindset that the real problem is my beloved government needs to learn how to spend it's money better, but this is a long conversation that doesn't necessarily need to take place on an automotive forum.

Old 08-03-2011, 09:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,136 Likes on 3,382 Posts

I agree that this is not the forum for a political conversation. That was not my intent; I just wanted to toss in some mindless humor. See what that got! The problem with a democracy is the fallacy of the will of the majority; those who don't pay taxes will always vote in favor of raising taxes on everyone else. Here's what matters: I LOVE MY XKR!

Old 08-03-2011, 11:58 PM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

Should you tip him?

No, leave him upright and vertical. He might have a bad back for all you know.

The following users liked this post:
chernobee (08-04-2011)
Old 08-05-2011, 02:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, Quaker13, how is it?
Have you stopped grinning yet? I haven't.

I keep going out to the garage to look at mine...I tell the other half I am trying to work ot how the radio works, but actually I just want to look.

How sad am I?

Old 08-05-2011, 02:36 PM
Received 6,243 Likes on 5,444 Posts

Originally Posted by C_Dub
So, Quaker13, how is it?
Have you stopped grinning yet? I haven't.

I keep going out to the garage to look at mine...I tell the other half I am trying to work ot how the radio works, but actually I just want to look.

How sad am I?
And, did you tip him?

Old 08-05-2011, 02:44 PM
Received 109 Likes on 67 Posts

Marcus...did you get the car? Looks like inquiring minds wants to know. Lets see the bad boy!!!!!

Old 08-06-2011, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by GhostriderXKR08
Marcus...did you get the car? Looks like inquiring minds wants to know. Lets see the bad boy!!!!!
I ended up getting the high mileage XKR from a while back. The PPI that was performed on it from a renown Jaguar repair shop basically said they had never seen such a well taken care of high mileage XKR. The work that needed to be done was for the most part all minor. Things like visor lamps, glove box and some a 3 or 4 scratches on the roof.. The dealership I bought it from, EAuto Direct, was professional and patient and I would do business with them again. Pics to come soon.

I do have issues with the tweeting/chirping coming from the AC at low power, the repair shop that did the PPI claimed that the AC blower motor needed to be replaced. This work is about $500. I am sure that has got to be a cheaper fix. I will post in the other thread.