Old 02-14-2019, 03:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 545 Likes on 364 Posts

^^^+1 That!^^^

Old 02-14-2019, 05:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,136 Likes on 3,382 Posts

Originally Posted by JDog
That is the car I am looking at. No pictures on the listing. BUT this one came with the Black Pack . I have not seen many Jags for sale with this option. I talked to several Jag shops. One wants $300 for a complete inspection. One wants $150 for a complete inspection. But I have a good friend that owns a repair shop that will inspect it for free. I talked to the MB dealer rep yesterday to find out how the make ready was progressing. I told him about all four matching tires, the aluminum body and how that you really need someone who knows how to repair and paint aluminum. He reassured me that MB dealer knows this and it will be taken care of. I told him that it needs a spare. He confirmed they will get a spare. One thing I noticed on the delivery invoice that it did not come with a spare tire. Unusual to me. I just hope they are not just putting a band-aid to major problem. I will see the car again in a couple of days and will decide what to do. Thanks for all the comments. I learn something with each comment. Keep them coming.
My 2009 XKR Portfolio came from the factory without a spare tire. Here's how I added one: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-brakes-67260/

Search Ebay for the spare wheel and tire. Here's one:
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F132808046881

You will also need the OEM tools and foam tray that fit in the trunk. Here's one on Ebay:
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F163322189904

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Stuart S; 02-14-2019 at 05:04 PM.
Old 02-14-2019, 07:15 PM
Received 59 Likes on 24 Posts

Stuart S:
Thanks for all your help. Sounds like everyone on here thinks I should pass of this one but we will see. I think I would need a 19" spare for 20" inch rims.

Old 02-14-2019, 07:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,180 Likes on 893 Posts

The spares supplied with XKs are mini-spares meant to be used for short distances and speeds no more than 50mph. Regarding the car itself, if you get serious about it, pay for the inspection and then start your negotiations which should take into account the results of the inspection. While it is being inspected have the inspector pay particular attention to the front and rear suspension. Another thought with that kind of mileage the transmission fluid ought to be replaced. Good hunting

Old 02-15-2019, 09:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,140 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Originally Posted by Stuart S
That CarFax raised red flags, particularly only one oil change
Why do you expect oil changes to be part of CarFax record? I know some dealers report all maintenance, but this is not typical.

Old 02-15-2019, 10:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 671 Likes on 334 Posts

Sounds like everyone on here thinks I should pass of this one.
Not me, get an inspection, if everything checks out and it is cosmetically acceptable for you I think its a fair buy... Now if you could get them down a couple thousand more even better... As for the carfax, no one should buy a car based solely on what a carfax shows, it most likely has information missing, and doesn't have the total history of the car.

Old 02-15-2019, 10:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,380 Likes on 1,607 Posts

I would call Cypress Car Wash.
Speak to Pedro and get complete maintenance history orally.

Old 02-15-2019, 10:53 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by SinF
Why do you expect oil changes to be part of CarFax record? I know some dealers report all maintenance, but this is not typical.
What makes you think that I expect anything from CarFax? I never said that. Is that a Sin,F?

I simply noticed that the CarFax reported only one oil change, and it was done by a carwash. That's not typical and raised red flags. How often was the oil changed, and did they use the correct oil?

Old 02-15-2019, 11:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

If the paint is in rough condition, that is enough for me move on. Is this the car with mismatch tires? Another red flag that this car was not cherished.

Old 02-15-2019, 11:34 AM
Veteran Member

I do agree that if the paint is rough I have and would most likely walk away, but having said that all the other comments about the carfax and where the previous owner may have received an oil change is just speculation.. For example the so called "carwash" is a company that has a business model that does car washes, detailing ect. and also oil changes, big deal... A quick search of there website shows that Pennzoil Ultra Platinum is one of the oils they use which is an approved oil if you are someone that thinks Jaguar has the holy grail oil formula... So just that probably says that the previous owner did care and took it to probably the only place other than the dealer that would stock an approved oil... As for tires its the dealer that is in possession of the car now that wants to put mismatched tires on it, which I would not allow under any circumstance... Again if the car passes the eye test, I then would have the car inspected and looked at from someone I trust, if they find something I didn't like I would walk, but if not buy it and enjoy it...

The following users liked this post:
JDog (02-15-2019)
Old 02-15-2019, 11:35 AM

Now for the update. I got all the service records from the Jag dealership. Oil changes were done at the Jag dealership periodically as they should have been BUT they did not report this to CARFAX. The only issues now are with the paint,several scratches around the car and bumper. I was reassured by the rep at MB dealership they will be corrected and you will not be able to tell. I have already told the rep that I would not accept different tires on the car, he said they put on four new tires. He told me they are putting on new back brakes and rotors. They will install new battery. They told me they would get a spare tire too. I will price out the bushing change prices outside of the Jag dealer to get an idea of price. I will also get the transmission fluid changed. If they want to put on a new a/c compressor. Jag Dealer records show it needs one. Blah Blah Blah. If this is all true then the dealership has done a couple thousand worth of repairs which would offset the asking price. Then maybe its worth it. BUT I will confirm this upon my inspection and a formal inspection from a Jag shop. I would gladly pay maybe a couple of hundred to find out if it has been flooded, the condition of the suspension as mentioned in the Jag dealer report, and if the Jag shop finds anything wrong. But I also trust dealerships like drug dealers too. Thanks for the help. I always want to hear how experienced Jag owners feel.

Last edited by JDog; 02-15-2019 at 01:44 PM.
Old 02-15-2019, 02:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,380 Likes on 1,607 Posts

You are being LIED to. Mark my words.
Impossible that no Jaguar dealership has ever reported to Carfax on this Jaguar.
And its done 80,000 miles. I.e crossed several checkpoints.

Total used car salesman bullshit- that a Jag dealer never reported to Carfax and Manuel from the car wash oil change did.

Old 02-16-2019, 12:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 490 Likes on 358 Posts

That is the car I am looking at. No pictures on the listing. BUT this one came with the Black Pack . I have not seen many Jags for sale with this option. I talked to several Jag shops. One wants $300 for a complete inspection. One wants $150 for a complete inspection. But I have a good friend that owns a repair shop that will inspect it for free. I talked to the MB dealer rep yesterday to find out how the make ready was progressing. I told him about all four matching tires, the aluminum body and how that you really need someone who knows how to repair and paint aluminum. He reassured me that MB dealer knows this and it will be taken care of. I told him that it needs a spare. He confirmed they will get a spare. One thing I noticed on the delivery invoice that it did not come with a spare tire. Unusual to me. I just hope they are not just putting a band-aid to major problem. I will see the car again in a couple of days and will decide what to do. Thanks for all the comments. I learn something with each comment. Keep them coming.
The XK is a gorgeous car that depending upon where one lives, is not common place on the roads. However, one thing is certain. These are not fast movers when it comes to selling. Also, regardless of specifics you are looking for, there are quite a few exceptional cars out there with price flexibility. For the most part, no one is breaking down the doors to buy these cars unless it is priced aggressively and happens to be a real low mileage jewel. Take your time to make the right decision and don't let emotions get the better of your judgement...............especially with a Jaguar. Be assured you should only be looking at a good well maintained car. Good luck and let us know how you make out.

JDog (02-16-2019)
Old 02-16-2019, 12:21 PM

Question: On used Jag xkr how much are you willing to spend AFTER the purchase of your jag? $5,000, $10,000. Because when you purchase a used Jag there is always maintenance to be done. I just have a problem purchasing a used Jag and spending$10,000 on the car just for maintenance.

Old 02-16-2019, 12:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 915 Likes on 560 Posts

Question: On used Jag xkr how much are you willing to spend AFTER the purchase of your jag? $5,000, $10,000. Because when you purchase a used Jag there is always maintenance to be done. I just have a problem purchasing a used Jag and spending$10,000 on the car just for maintenance.
You sound like a candidate for a MINT, no excuses car then. I bought mine needing about a grand in stuff and about 2 grand on labor needed (did myself). Come in eyes wide open, buy a good car for a fair price and have a blast. Years later you won't remember spending a little more, but you will remember buying someone else's problem regardless of a deal.

​​​​​

Old 02-16-2019, 12:35 PM
Veteran Member

That's why you need a PPI from a Jaguar dealer that includes details of work for needed repairs, including parts and labor, that you can use to negotiate a lower price

Routine XKR annual maintenance doesn't cost anywhere near $10,000. But repairs can exceed $10K. You can say the same thing about all used cars, except exotics - they almost always cost more.

Old 02-16-2019, 12:37 PM

OK now for the update. I was called by the rep at the MB dealer where the Jag is. He told me everything was done except the scratches on the paint and repainting the back bumper. So I went over today with my info file to look it over. First of all any work that needed to be done one the inside was not done. The top speaker grill is chipped and the dash is coming our from around the a/c vent. They put 3 new tires on the car. 3 Pirellis and a Michelin. BAD. They did put new brake pads and rotors on the rear. But that is all that was done. No spare like I was promised, no matching tires like I was promised. I met with the Service manage at MB. He told me they were not going to do anything else except touch up the paint and paint the back bumper. I called the service manager at the Jag dealership where this car was serviced. I asked him if there was anything else that he missed. He told me that he missed a print out and that it needs a new A/C compressor. He told me not to buy this car. So lets see new A/C compressor, new bushings all around, a new tire to match the new 3, new dash speaker cover, probably new front brake pads and rotor, service the transmission, spare tire and kit, and probably more to come. Do you think this is to much to spend after the purchase? The rep wanted me to put a deposit down. I told him there was way to much work to do to the car. He told me he would call me on Wed. and update on the progress. I think it time to turn out the lights and the party is over. I took pictures and will post them if I knew how to attach to post. Thanks everyone for all your help but I think I have got to let this one go. What do you think?

Last edited by JDog; 02-16-2019 at 12:51 PM.
Old 02-16-2019, 02:26 PM
Veteran Member

Yes, as much as I wanted to be optimistic, the list you gave is just too much... Time to walk away...

JDog (02-16-2019)
Old 02-16-2019, 03:04 PM
Veteran Member
JDog (02-16-2019)
Old 02-16-2019, 03:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

Why this MB dealership even kept the car is beyond me? I would've just auctioned it off and not offered junk on sales lot. That what it sounds like they'll end up doing, but thought they could find a sucker in the short run.

Quick Reply: Is this a good buy ?