Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Good-Bye my beautiful XK - Welcome new XF

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2013, 10:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 594 Likes on 422 Posts
Default Good-Bye my beautiful XK - Welcome new XF

So, the time has come for my XK and I to part. The CPO warranty was about to expire on my gorgeous '08 and I really was not getting my use out of it after purchasing my 2012 XJL. The buyer is a lucky person, the car is pristine in every way.

After looking at newer XK, XKR, verts, I finally came to realize that the best route for us was not a 2 seater but, a larger car that is actually going to be my wife's. She needs room for large grocery runs, friends, etc...

So, enter a better-than-new late-2012 XF. Better than new, because it had 700 miles (7 hundred), never been sold by the dealership and, was sold to me as a CPO with the 6 full years and 100K miles Jaguar warranty.

The 2012 XK had a facelift; XJ-like headlights, front grill and reshaped rear deck, better looking wheels, just to name a few. The interior, that I did not think much of when I previously received one as a dealer's loaner, has been smartly upgraded and now looks very pretty with the Ivory leather and the high-gloss Burl Walnut wood trim. The seats are very nicely supportive with nice side bolsters. The exterior is Ebony. Good contrasts.

We picked up the car in San Francisco, after getting a ridiculously great deal on it from the Premier Jaguar dealer. Let's just say it hardly cost me more than what I sold my 5-years-od XK for. Side by side looking at the front, the XJL and the XK seem to be brothers. As if one just shrunk the XF a bit but, all the design features are the same. Looks like this is intended to be Jaguar's family looks.

We caravaned the 150 miles, my wife driving the XF. She was thrilled with the feel of the car. After getting home I got into it and took it down to our nice, winding country roads. The handling and the power is far and above the 4.2 XK with much more accurate steering, much more neutral handling on the stock 18", 245-wide tires. Extremely balanced feel. I was easily taking the 45 MPH marked twisties at 90 MPH, not feeling that I would be anywhere close to the limit. It has the same 5 liter engine as my XJL but, the car is smaller and it shows up in the agility. The XJL is a superb luxury cruiser and the XF is the true sport sedan. Good job, Jaguar!

The ride on the 18" tires is better than the ride of my XJL on the 19". I will also put on my H&R wheel spacers that I took off my XK when I sold it. It will make the handling even more sure-footed by increasing the track width. Of course, since it is my wife's car, she could care less about handling.

Altogether the 2012 is a great package. Note that in 2013 no NA V8 is available. A 4-banger is standard in the low priced entry and the SC 340HP V6 is the mid grade. The V8 is still available in SC form. After tearing up my local roads with the 385 HP V8, I can not imagine what the XFR would do with 510.

As it is the 2012 XF is a HUGE bargain. It is in the same class with the BMW 5 series but, can be had at a huge discount to the Beemer. Yet, with the V8 it is every bit as great or better.

Albert

Old 04-12-2013, 12:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 874 Likes on 633 Posts

Pics or ya bought her a Sonata!

BTW: Sorry to loose ya on the XK side of the house...

Vince

Last edited by CleverName; 04-12-2013 at 12:26 AM.
Old 04-12-2013, 10:26 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by CleverName
Pics or ya bought her a Sonata!

BTW: Sorry to loose ya on the XK side of the house...

Vince
Vince

I'm not going anywhere. This has been a great forum and I plan on staying here. Attached is the dealer's link that has the pictures. Window price was about 55K and I paid less than the already super low asking price in the ad.

AutoTrader.com

Albert

Old 04-12-2013, 10:38 AM
Veteran Member
Default Pictures

Apparently the dealer already removed the ad so, let me see if I can save the pictures from my copy of their ad.

Here it goes,

For 2012 the XF received the same touch interface as the XJ. Not necessary good new as the XJ's nagivation, while better than the XK, is still a PIA. When leaving San Francisco, I put in our home address in my XJL and started driving. I know SF and I headed right for the nearby freeway onramp. But, the navigation had different ideas. It wanted to take me cross town (as usual). I ignored it, got on the freeway and headed to the nearby Bay Bridge. The navigation insisted that I turn around and go South, meaning, taking a huge extra trip going around the Bay instead of crossing it over the Bridge. Also, it still does not call out street names, like my Galaxy SIII or my cheap Garmin. Instead it calls you to make turns at 500' or 800' etc. Like my wife said, in the vicinity of short downtown blocks, she would not have an idea what 600' means.

Albert

Attached Thumbnails Good-Bye my beautiful XK - Welcome new XF-xf.jpg   Good-Bye my beautiful XK - Welcome new XF-xf1.jpg   Good-Bye my beautiful XK - Welcome new XF-xf2.jpg   Good-Bye my beautiful XK - Welcome new XF-xf3.jpg   Good-Bye my beautiful XK - Welcome new XF-xf4.jpg  

Last edited by axr6; 04-12-2013 at 10:47 AM.
Old 04-12-2013, 11:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 874 Likes on 633 Posts

Wow.... Very nice.. The rims are shockingly sweet.

Sad to hear Jag is still missing the mark when it comes to onboard navigation....

Old 04-12-2013, 01:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 325 Likes on 201 Posts

Albert,

Congratulations! I'm sure it will give you miles of smiles. Looks great...enjoy!

Bruce