Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Is this a good deal?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2016, 07:22 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Is this a good deal?

Hello all,
Just test drove a beautiful 2010 XKR Convertible today and to say the least, I'm hooked!

It's got 29,750 miles, dark blue exterior and top, and tan interior. The dealer is asking $39,999 but I'm thinking there must be some wiggle room here. What would you all offer and consider a good, not great, but good deal?

Old 05-04-2016, 07:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,183 Likes on 895 Posts

I think before you get to the offer stage you need to have the car inspected both mechanically and by a body shop that has expertise in aluminum construction. Your local Jaguar dealer is a good place to start. The mechanical inspection should cost no more than $250-$300. The dealer can put you onto a properly trained and experienced body shop. The cost for that should be about the same.

Also pulling a carfax on the car as a starting point is a good idea. I think you can the names of the dealers who have been involved with the car from there and you probably can get the service records from the dealers. Also make sure there are no outstanding TBs on the car.

Finally, I think the asking price is significantly above market. Check Edmonds, Ebay, Blue book, cars.com and other sites. Sounds like a beautiful car good luck!!

Old 05-04-2016, 07:31 PM
Banned
Received 238 Likes on 180 Posts

Not enough information, any history of accidents? What has been the service history... all original? What does the car need now (tires, brakes, service, etc)?

Of course there is wiggle room but no one can write pricing until we've got more to work with

Old 05-04-2016, 07:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 651 Likes on 477 Posts

That is going to be a desirable color combination on the use market.

Old 05-05-2016, 05:05 AM
Received 50 Likes on 42 Posts

I just bought a 2010 xkr after about 6 months of hunting. Dark blue w/ tan is not common and brings a premium price as a result. However, the advice given above is spot on. A Carfax may tell you if the car was in an accident but not always. A good inspection including a paint thickness reader is valuable.

One problem these cars are notorious for is water pump failures; and a Carfax should show if that has been done to this car. I've seen quite a variety of costs to replace quoted here, figure close to $1000.00 at a dealer.

If the car checks out in all categories, then the real question is "how much do you want it?". I lost a very nice one by negotiating a bit too hard edged. I found another low mileage car and paid almost asking price because overall it was worth it, even if not my first color choice.

I would suggest that the mileage on the blue car isn't "low" as such; but it is lower that many. (The car I bought had 16k miles when I picked it up) If the color is what you want, then ask yourself "If not this one, what else is around?" Let that be your negotiating guide.

Old 05-05-2016, 06:20 AM

Hey everyone and thanks for the honest feedback. Just to be clear, this car is for sale by a Jag/LR dealer. Would I still bring the vehicle to another dealer for a PPI? Bringing the car to a body shop to check the paint and panels is a great idea and I'll make sure to do that prior to making an offer on the car.
The car is listed as a one owner car on Carfax but I have yet to see the carfax report or the service records.
Great advice on the water pump. Assuming it hasn't been changed out, should I expect to replace this part as a precaution after purchasing or wait until a leak shows?

Anything else to look at or should he aware if for a MY 2010 XKR?

Old 05-05-2016, 07:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Just looked at the add with only one picture. Seems to be 1 owner , no accidents , 13 service records . Price is good and mileage looks ok so I would get it if it were a CPO car by the dealer. Pretty rare color combo. Make sure you don't look at the car when it is wet . Good luck

Old 05-05-2016, 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by jagtoes
Just looked at the add with only one picture. Seems to be 1 owner , no accidents , 13 service records . Price is good and mileage looks ok so I would get it if it were a CPO car by the dealer. Pretty rare color combo. Make sure you don't look at the car when it is wet . Good luck
How did you see the 13 service records? Are you saying you wouldn't buy if it weren't CPO?

Old 05-05-2016, 07:24 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by scubayachts
How did you see the 13 service records? Are you saying you wouldn't buy if it weren't CPO?
Here is the service record CARFAX Vehicle History Report for this 2010 JAGUAR XKR: SAJWA4EC2AMB38641
I would push to get it as a CPO but it would not be a show stopper. Ask questions about the service records. Looks like a lot of NJ pot holes.

Old 05-05-2016, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by jagtoes
Here is the service record CARFAX Vehicle History Report for this 2010 JAGUAR XKR: SAJWA4EC2AMB38641
I would push to get it as a CPO but it would not be a show stopper. Ask questions about the service records. Looks like a lot of NJ pot holes.
Wow, thank you for the information! This is why I love this forum, very helpful members

Now regarding your CPO question, what would be some talking points on my end or bargaining chips to get the dealer to CPO the car? I'm guessing if they agree to CPO, I'm not going to get them to move off the asking price?

Old 05-05-2016, 07:33 AM

Great advice on the water pump. Assuming it hasn't been changed out, should I expect to replace this part as a precaution after purchasing or wait until a leak shows?

Anything else to look at or should he aware if for a MY 2010 XKR?

An inspection should indicate if there is evidence of the pump starting to leak. Looking at many Carfax reports during my search, I saw cars with pumps replaced at 22k miles and others with over 50k and no record of a pump replacement. Keep in mind that could just mean it failed when the car was out of warrante and the repair was done by an indie. Most of the ones I saw had replacements in the mid-30's to mid 40's. There were plenty with no history of failure, so it doesn't seem to be predictable.

If the pump shows no current issues, there are two things to do to monitor it. First, some owners here reported smelling cooling leak as a warning, so do some sniffing after driving. Second, it is easy to check the coolant reservoir to see if you are losing any. I've driven mine just over a thousand miles since pick up; and I was worried about whether the seals might be dry as the car had little use the last few years. So far, no issue.

I personally would not do a change prophylactically unless I was going to do a lot of long distance driving and wanted to avoid being on the side of the road 200 miles from the closest Jag/LR dealer. That is just my personal perspective.

Finally I see we live about an hour apart. Once you get a car we should have lunch or adult beverages etc. and compare notes.

Old 05-05-2016, 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by SickRob
An inspection should indicate if there is evidence of the pump starting to leak. Looking at many Carfax reports during my search, I saw cars with pumps replaced at 22k miles and others with over 50k and no record of a pump replacement. Keep in mind that could just mean it failed when the car was out of warrante and the repair was done by an indie. Most of the ones I saw had replacements in the mid-30's to mid 40's. There were plenty with no history of failure, so it doesn't seem to be predictable.

If the pump shows no current issues, there are two things to do to monitor it. First, some owners here reported smelling cooling leak as a warning, so do some sniffing after driving. Second, it is easy to check the coolant reservoir to see if you are losing any. I've driven mine just over a thousand miles since pick up; and I was worried about whether the seals might be dry as the car had little use the last few years. So far, no issue.

I personally would not do a change prophylactically unless I was going to do a lot of long distance driving and wanted to avoid being on the side of the road 200 miles from the closest Jag/LR dealer. That is just my personal perspective.

Finally I see we live about an hour apart. Once you get a car we should have lunch or adult beverages etc. and compare notes.
Great post and I appreciate the knowledge base you seem to have. Sending you a PM here shortly.

Old 05-05-2016, 08:04 AM
Veteran Member

Wow, thank you for the information! This is why I love this forum, very helpful members

Now regarding your CPO question, what would be some talking points on my end or bargaining chips to get the dealer to CPO the car? I'm guessing if they agree to CPO, I'm not going to get them to move off the asking price?
I would 1st do a search on used car values and see what comes up. That should give you a better picture of what is out there . Kelly blue book or NADA or others and see the retail and wholesale rates. Dealers want top dollar and buyers want low ball prices. See what is the best range. Try to find a deal and once you have it go for the CPO . Usually it's a $1-$2K adder but if they serviced the car it should be an easy pass for them. They will change the deal but that's what negotiations are about. The biggest problem with buying these type of cars is emotion. If you can make a reasonable offer and they don't take it then you either need to offer more or walk away. That's the hard part of the deal. There are other Jags out there at lower prices but based on my searches you won't find to many with this color combo. As for the waterpump question just have them do a cooling system pressure test and if it holds for an hour it's good to go. Ask for a "load" test on the battery and if ok then have them do the standard service check list . Pair your cell phone and make sure it works . Try every function on the car to verify if they work. Also run the car through a touchless car wash and see if you have any leaks. And also have them put the car on a lift so you can see under it. Also look at the condition and color of the exhaust tips. Good luck and do your homework.

Old 05-05-2016, 08:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 6,140 Likes on 3,383 Posts

The dealer won't CPO this XKR since there's not enough time left to justify the approximately $2,000 cost to do so. The CarFax shows that this XKR was originally placed in service on May 25, 2010. To qualify for CPO, among other things, the vehicle must be less than 6 years old from the original in-service date. The CPO expiration date would be May 25, 2016, so this XKR has just 3 weeks left of potential CPO time.

If you want a CPO XKR, Google "Jaguar CPO" and follow the links to the dealer inventory across the USA.

Stuart

Old 05-05-2016, 08:35 AM

OK, so CPO is out of the question. No big deal I guess.

One concern when looking over the carfax is the multiple times the car has been in for Body computer/ module reprogrammed, Instrument cluster reprogrammed, and engine/powertrain computer/module replaced in late 2014.

Any ideas what these could be about? Is this a known issue?

Old 05-05-2016, 08:39 AM

I saw a lot of that on Carfax when I was hunting. Remember, this is a Jaguar and the touch of the Prince of Darkness still lingers. Just kidding!

Old 05-05-2016, 08:48 AM
Veteran Member

OK, so CPO is out of the question. No big deal I guess.

One concern when looking over the carfax is the multiple times the car has been in for Body computer/ module reprogrammed, Instrument cluster reprogrammed, and engine/powertrain computer/module replaced in late 2014.

Any ideas what these could be about? Is this a known issue?
My bet is these were all battery related . As for the prince of darkness those days are over as they were based on actual electrical and wiring failures. Almost all were component/wiring shorts and such and those were Lucas issues.

Old 05-05-2016, 09:02 AM
Received 2,579 Likes on 1,784 Posts

...Anything else to look at or should he aware if for a MY 2010 XKR?
Depending on what you intend to do with the vehicle and how long you intend to keep it, you may want to look for one that is from another area that does not subject the vehicle to salt and other corrosive materials in winter.

If this XKR has been used in the northern part of the U.S. it most likely has some corrosion or been driven over very rough roads.

Despite the Lucas comments, most of the electrical gremlins afflicting these vehicles can be directly attributed to a failing or weak battery.

Old 05-05-2016, 09:05 AM

NBCat, I'm guessing since the mileage is around 5K per year, the vehicle was most likely garaged for the winters. But either way, I'll have a look under the car prior to purchasing.

If the car checks out and I can get the dealer down to $38,500 ish, would we all agree it's a good buy?

Old 05-05-2016, 09:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,541 Likes on 1,412 Posts

The car should be priced in the $32-35,000 range. I paid $38K two years ago for a coupe with more mileage, but there were cars around at close to that price more than two years ago.

Quick Reply: Is this a good deal?