XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Gound effects under front bumper: missing?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 10:34 PM
Received 76 Likes on 54 Posts
Default Gound effects under front bumper: missing?

Hey all,

I've been fortunate to have not yet 'beached' the nose of the XKR on a parking block or driveway or speed bump. But I got under the car the other day and noticed the black plastic flaps the extend from the bottom of the nose. Those, it appears, I have scuffed up. I see that I only have two of these flaps, one on each side (passenger and driver's), angled. For some reason I have it in my head that I noticed them before, and that there were three of them, the two I see now plus a third one in the center.

Is my memory off? Should there only be two of these things? What do they do, while we are at it? Would it make a noticeable difference if they weren't there, or if they get mangled by a parking bump?

Oh, this is on a 2010 XKR coupe, if that matters. I can post pics if this isn't ringing a bell

Thanks in advance,

Skeeter

Old 02-20-2012, 05:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 261 Likes on 183 Posts

I have 4 of them - two near the front to either side and two farther back on each side. I'm going from memory as to the placement; I don't look at them that often, but they are on each side.

Old 02-20-2012, 03:56 PM
Received 76 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Skeeter
Hey all,

I've been fortunate to have not yet 'beached' the nose of the XKR on a parking block or driveway or speed bump. But I got under the car the other day and noticed the black plastic flaps the extend from the bottom of the nose. Those, it appears, I have scuffed up. I see that I only have two of these flaps, one on each side (passenger and driver's), angled. For some reason I have it in my head that I noticed them before, and that there were three of them, the two I see now plus a third one in the center.

Is my memory off? Should there only be two of these things? What do they do, while we are at it? Would it make a noticeable difference if they weren't there, or if they get mangled by a parking bump?

Oh, this is on a 2010 XKR coupe, if that matters. I can post pics if this isn't ringing a bell

Thanks in advance,

Skeeter
I just traded in my old 2000 XKR for a 2008 XKR portfolio. I'm lucky to have an amazingly knowledgeable jag mechanic as a friend who inspected it on a lift prior to me buying it.

I've only got two of those flaps under the front my car, there was no sign there should have been more (no mounting holes) and no sign any more had broken off.

According to my friend their purpose is to direct air to the brake calipers for cooling, so it makes sense there's not one in the middle.

Old 02-20-2012, 09:49 PM

Thanks guys! I think I've only got two, none in the center, but I'll double check tomorrow when the rain stops. I do remember that one of them is pretty scuffed up, wondering if it'd make a big difference if I took them out to get more clearance. Without them the car clears a curb or parking block. With, they take damage if I scoot in too close. I'll just be extra careful and see of I can avoid any more scrapes! Glad I didn't loose a center section, makes sense that they'd be onLy on the sides to deflect air to the brakes...

Much appreciated,

Skeeter

Old 02-21-2012, 05:09 AM
Veteran Member

I forgot about this yesterday...I will look again and see ho many I actually have.

Old 02-21-2012, 02:22 PM
Default cost of a piece of angled plastic

I spoke to my local dealer about this today.

Apparently you cant just buy those plastic angles separately, you have to buy the whole sump cover (or whatever its called) that they come with. The cover costs around $750. He did say you don't actually need those plastic angle things and they actually break them off at the dealer(!).

I guess I wont be replacing my broken one any time soon with a proper replacement part from Jag. That said it shouldn't be that hard to find a similarly sized piece of plastic at Home Depot to hack a functionally equivalent part together from.

The following users liked this post:
Skeeter (02-22-2012)
Old 02-22-2012, 06:35 AM
Veteran Member

Ok, I looked yesterday afternoon when I went out to go home after work. I do indeed have four (4) of the rectangular pieces that protrude down.

Two are in front of the wheels, and two are near the front to either side of the middle, just inside of the area where the fog lights are.

I always thought they were there to be an audible warning when scraping something, and possibly to protect the plastic cover...

Old 02-22-2012, 03:23 PM

JustNiz, good to hear that the dealer says they aren't essential, or even tolerated

I think we all have 4 of them, but it looks like 2 unless you really get under the car. Tried to take pictures but too dark and they came out lousy...

The big ones are set at an angle on either side. Pretty big, fastened with rivets, almost 45 degrees to the front of the car in each direction. My passenger side seems to be connected with three rivets, with the middle one pulling out a bit where I must've scraped the car on something.

Then, behind the two big deflectors, there are little ones that run pretty much perpendicular to the front wheels, in front of the wheels and just behind the big ones set at an angle. Looks like one piece unless you look from way underneath, at least in my car, then you can see that they aren't connected.

I'll ignore the slight damage and not fret if one pulls loose. Great to know!

Skeeter

Old 03-01-2012, 10:37 PM

My dealer has now changed his tune.
Since my earlier post he's now found out there is a part number for just those rectangular tabs and you can order them without having to buy the whole sump cover part.