XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Hangin' Around This Forum Is...

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 07:46 PM
Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Hangin' Around This Forum Is...

...so educational. As a new first time Jag and first time luxury car owner I have learned so much from the folks posting here.

I wax our cars three times a year each and they look pretty good. Saw a post here recently about claying a car. Well, I had no idea what that was all about so went and did some research. YouTube does have a fair number of videos on the subject. It did not look that involved so out I went and bought the Meguires claying package; 20 bucks. The Jag's paint is in very good condition and I had waxed it on day three of ownership. I clayed the Jag today. My gawd what a difference. I had no idea how much crap was on that paint until I saw the dirt on the clay after, of course, washing the car. I understand that claying does not remove swirl marks but I swear that it's 80% better now. A previous owner obviously did not understand the ramifications of sending a black car through the whirling dervish car wash.

Had an appointment today to bring the car in to the local (Nalley) Jag dealer for the intermittent touch screen that I read about here. Their diagnostic software for this was down so I had to reschedule. Because of the posts on this forum the first thing I did was replace the still original battery with an Interstate 850CCA battery. That did not solve the problem and yes, I now lock the car even though it's garaged thanks to the input on this forum.

While on the phone I got switched over to the Parts Department and who do I get but Dave. Told him he was famous or more likely infamous on this forum. Ordered a set of floor mats, $123. w/discount and updated nav discs, $169. w/discount. Last fall I paid $160. for floor mats for my '04 Volvo. Of course that was for 4 v. 2 mats. Dave was unbelievably accomodating. "Should I ship these to you at no charge?" Of course I'll just pick them up when I bring the car in. I would not have known about the discount had it not been for this forum.

If you've read this far then thank you. The purpose of this missive is simply to thank all of you for being a part of this forum and for sharing your knowledge and expertise so freely. You have no idea how much that means to those of us who are not savvy and who are the veritable "babes in the woods."

Best regards,

The following 7 users liked this post by TFlan:
Bruce H. (03-07-2012), Cadillac (03-08-2012), H20boy (03-08-2012), JimC64 (03-07-2012), joycesjag (03-07-2012), Norri (03-08-2012), Panthro (09-07-2018) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 03-07-2012, 07:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 26
Size:  19.3 KB

Tom, what a genuinely great post, thanking some of the really cool guys here that help to make this place what it is. The kudos to the guys at Nalley is appreciated ( those guys rock ) too.

For that, I thank you!

Hopefully you'll be around here in a year or so passing on all kinds of info too

Old 03-07-2012, 08:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,692 Likes on 1,208 Posts

Tom, I missed you on the New Member section, so welcome! Congrats on your new vehicle.

I will only ditto what Jim mentioned above, some really great guys here! Kudos to Nalley Jaguar as well, I have dealt with them many occasions and was extremely satisfied.

Don't forget to scroll down to the detailing section and read up on Davids (Innovative Detailing) threads. David is a true Master at what he does, and is very willing to share his knowledge.

Enjoy all the site has to offer!

Old 03-07-2012, 09:51 PM

Perhaps this should be on another thread but I'll take my chances...

An elderly Scotsman and his equally elderly and equally frugal wife are in the States and they want to go for an open cockpit acrobatic biplane ride yet have no interest in paying the going rate.

The pilot and owner of the plane has a payment coming due and makes a deal with them.

"I'll take you on the ride of your life. If there's not one peep from either of you, the ride is free. Any noise and you pay the full price." The couple agree.

After an unbelievable ride, they land. The pilot turns around and says "well, I'm amazed, not one peep out of you so the ride is free."

The elderly gentleman replies, "aye laddie, that was a great ride and ye almost had me back there when the missus fell out."

For my neighbors from Scotland, warmest regards,

The following users liked this post:
Brutal (03-08-2012)
Old 03-08-2012, 12:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 6,139 Likes on 3,383 Posts

Tom,

I'm in Sandy Springs, too, and bought my XKR 18 months ago. I take it to Nalley for service, and have been very pleased with both their parts and service departments. Dave is a super guy in Parts, as was his predecessor, Dan. And I couldn't be happier working with Pete in service, and his predecessor, Gino.

The only gripe I have with my car is that it doesn't have a spare tire. To make a long story short (you can search Alcon brakes and spare wheel for the history), Dave special ordered a compact spare wheel from a 2012 XJR for me, which Brutal (a Tech on this forum) said would fit. Well, it did fit in the front, but not the rear. While the Tech was checking the wheel fitment, he noticed a nail in a tire and repaired it. While I expected to pay for their time, Pete refused to charge me because the wheel didn't fit and he said he likes to take care of his customers and Dave took the wheel back without a restocking charge.

Now I'm hooked as a customer for life!

I hope you enjoy your XK as much as I've enjoyed mine.

Stuart

Oh - almost forgot. I'm Irish, too (by proxy) because my father was born on March 17!

Old 03-08-2012, 12:38 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TFlan
For my neighbors from Scotland, warmest regards,
We Scots know a thing or two about saving the pennies.

Old 03-08-2012, 01:03 AM
RJC
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Although I've only had my R for a few weeks I've found jaguar service to be very accommodating.

Old 03-08-2012, 04:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

Thanks for your topic, I am elated these forums help you solving your issues . This is why these forums are for

Old 03-08-2012, 09:45 AM
Received 141 Likes on 82 Posts

On the topic of claying, you may want to check out the Zaino set of paint care products. I've been using them for about 10 years now, and have found they take less time, last longer, and look particularly fabulous when you apply multiple coats. Especially on dark cars.

Old 03-08-2012, 10:19 AM
RJC
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

+1 Ziano has a superb reputation

Old 03-08-2012, 10:21 AM
Received 6,250 Likes on 5,450 Posts

Thanks for that, I'm sure the people who have helped you will appreciate the thanks.
I've had a couple of dealings with Nalley also and have nothing but good things to say.

Originally Posted by WeegieBob
We Scots know a thing or two about saving the pennies.
Just think how his savings would increase once the wife was gone!

Old 03-08-2012, 01:09 PM

Rahtok & RJC,

Thanks for the tip and the endorsement for the Zaino products. I'll be using Zaino next time.

Best regards,