XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Has anyone ever sold cars at auction?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2017, 10:18 AM
Received 247 Likes on 175 Posts
Default Has anyone ever sold cars at auction?

I have 3 cars that I would like to sell, '98 BMW 328i convertible, '96 Mercedes C220, '98 Mercedes E430. Each has check engine lights on, as well as SRS lights on two of them, plus various other problems. I really don't want to sink more money in them to fix the issues.

I was considering taking them to auction, but have never been to one.

First, is this a good idea, and second, what do I need to know about?

Old 07-26-2017, 11:48 AM
Received 214 Likes on 149 Posts

If your car is a dog an auction, ebay or other, is the place to sell it. Don't expect very much money for it, but it will sell.

If they were my cars I would try Craig's list for a few weeks first. Then an ebay auction and start at $100 or so and see what you get. You can put a reserve on them so that if the bids don't make your minimum it does not sell. With check engine lights on you can't expect to get much for them. The buyers will probably be mechanics that are buying them to fix and flip.

For ebay or Craig's list you need to describe them ACCURATELY and honestly. If you try hiding something you are asking for problems.

Old 07-26-2017, 07:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

I would talk to a used car dealership. Have them run them through the auction and give him a flat fee per car.

Old 07-26-2017, 09:38 PM
Received 275 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by davchr
For ebay or Craig's list you need to describe them ACCURATELY and honestly. If you try hiding something you are asking for problems.
Ebay, yes, but only because the buyer is most likely from out of state and will be traveling some distance so as a courtesy, the fewer surprises the better. But for a local sale on CL? Caveat emptor or whatever. I figure as long as the asking price reflects the faults, the less you say, the better, and if the buyer doesn't see the CEL or doesn't test drive prior to purchase, that's on them. With any used car sale where a warranty is neither expressed nor implied and all sales are final, the due diligence is up to the buyer.

Unless you're removing the CEL bulb or putting a timer relay on it... that's a whole other story.

Old 07-27-2017, 05:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

Originally Posted by Mandrake
With any used car sale where a warranty is neither expressed nor implied and all sales are final, the due diligence is up to the buyer.
This not nessarily the case depending your locale. Lemon laws... In my state (MA), the car is under the same minimum warranty as a used car dealer. I would be hesitant to sell a used car if there any potential the next buyer could break something within the time period. CL is worth a go since it's free. As other mentioned, honest description, straight up, tons of quality pictures, and a for real price...

Old 07-27-2017, 06:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 490 Likes on 358 Posts

Most older cars within a reasonable price range are sold at auction because they are basically sh..t Later model cars off lease are sold there because it's the best place to sell these higher prices cars when a dealer needs to lessen the inventory. The auctions are not like the old days (Late 70s-80s) where you could find classics, deals, and make a great living. Almost no deals at auctions. Actually, you may end up paying more for a car at an auction than privately. Good place to get rid of junk, but don't expect to get much.

Old 07-28-2017, 03:13 PM
Received 247 Likes on 175 Posts

So I think I have decided to give Craig's list a shot first, then if that fails, maybe go to auction or CarMax.

Trying to decide whether it is better to go spend some money at the mechanic first or sell as-is.