Sponsored by: DashLynx

Hats off to black car owners

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2017, 04:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,380 Likes on 1,607 Posts

Originally Posted by Cee Jay
*sigh*
Some people also ruin a perfectly decent thread..... and forum. It's sad, really.
The only thing I saw you post on this brilliant thread about car paint, was...why cant we call a black man for what he is. And he is most famous for Jazz. You ever hear yourself.

The following users liked this post:
ralphwg (10-22-2017)
Old 10-20-2017, 05:51 PM
Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

Children, Children....let's calm down!
Why so sensitive? I thought it was quite clever.
Life is too short!

The following 2 users liked this post by BryanL:
Cee Jay (10-20-2017), JagRag (10-20-2017)
Old 10-20-2017, 08:06 PM
Received 90 Likes on 54 Posts

What's next? A clever meme about colored TV? Clever would be, as defined by Oxford as "Showing skill and originality; ingenious." What I see here is a sophomoric attempt at simplistic humor playing off the remnants of cultural and social racism, in concert with an inability to understand meaning in colloquial language usage. It does prove the age old adage. Dying is easy, comedy is hard.

Old 10-20-2017, 09:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,159 Likes on 3,090 Posts

| Evidently; now can we GET BACK TO THE TOPIC PLEASE????
V

BryanL (10-20-2017)
Old 10-20-2017, 09:19 PM
Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

Gezzzzz, some people are simply "wound too tight"!
Perhaps getting one's nose out of the air and out of their Oxford would lend itself well to learning how to laugh and enjoy life.

Old 10-20-2017, 09:31 PM
Veteran Member

ANYWAY, I bought a 1995 Mustang for my second wife (RIP) and it HAD to be black as it was her favoritest color in the universe. She told me she would HAPPILY clean and care for it by herself.... which lasted a whopping two weeks and it looked like crap. Anyway, she smashed it awhile after that and I gave her my old Thunderbird, a metallic gold color that never looked dirty. She was gone not long after that. At least it made her happy for a little while anyway.

Old 10-21-2017, 03:04 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by buddhaboy
What's next? A clever meme about colored TV? Clever would be, as defined by Oxford as "Showing skill and originality; ingenious." What I see here is a sophomoric attempt at simplistic humor playing off the remnants of cultural and social racism, in concert with an inability to understand meaning in colloquial language usage. It does prove the age old adage. Dying is easy, comedy is hard.
You raise thought provoking questions.
A day will come when the definition of clever will encompass emotional intelligence, of realizing how one is perceived.
Then again, perhaps its inconsiderate to temper simpleton ingenuity of chuckling at a pun; seemingly that's more intolerable to an even larger group.

Old 10-21-2017, 03:16 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by BryanL
Perhaps getting one's nose out of the air and out of their Oxford would lend itself well to learning how to laugh and enjoy life.
Agreed, but at whose expense? yours?
Post a picture of yourself and let us see if we can make some associations that will brighten our moods. If you dont mind that is.

Old 10-21-2017, 04:21 AM
Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

I guess Q&C is at it again. It's a shame. Here, have a drink. It's a bit girly, but it will help you lighten up. Heck, I bet it's good. I'll have one with you.

Seriously, he tipped his hat to a legendary artist next to a beautiful car, and you call him a bigot over it? What's wrong with you?

And before you go further off the handle, I'm half black! If anyone should be offended by that post, it's me, not you! Freaking chill out. Miles is black. Big freaking deal. The post was cute and light hearted and not bigoted in any way. Stop trying to start a fight.

The following 5 users liked this post by Jag XKR:
BryanL (10-21-2017), Cee Jay (10-21-2017), kfeltenberger (10-21-2017), ralphwg (10-22-2017), tberg (10-28-2017)
Old 10-21-2017, 09:30 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks for the drink and assumptions, but I am 0% white. I guess much is wrong with me. Perhaps in the next life.

Continue talking about car colors please- I realize some here only posted about the other entertainment.

Old 10-21-2017, 09:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,140 Likes on 3,383 Posts

Over 50 years ago and still relevant today. Bet you can't watch it just once!

Last edited by Stuart S; 10-21-2017 at 09:43 PM.
Queen and Country (10-21-2017)
Old 10-21-2017, 09:42 PM
Veteran Member
Old 10-21-2017, 09:48 PM
Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

I had a black car a few years ago. It was an Acura TL. Definitely a fun car, and not terribly expensive. After spending a Saturday afternoon washing and waxing, it was absolutely gorgeous. And then I drove it down the gravel driveway and it looked a little worse. Then when I was finished with my errands and drove up the gravel driveway into the garage, it looked a little worse again.

Black cars are great on the showroom floor. In my garage, they aren't nearly as good looking. Now I stick with easier colors to keep clean. Normally a gray or silver works well. The other colors are too much of a pain for me to keep looking as great as they deserve to look. Like the OP, my hat is off to those that can still keep a black car looking good.

Cee Jay (10-21-2017)
Old 10-21-2017, 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by Jag XKR
I had a black car a few years ago. It was an Acura TL. Definitely a fun car, and not terribly expensive. After spending a Saturday afternoon washing and waxing, it was absolutely gorgeous. And then I drove it down the gravel driveway and it looked a little worse. Then when I was finished with my errands and drove up the gravel driveway into the garage, it looked a little worse again.

Black cars are great on the showroom floor. In my garage, they aren't nearly as good looking. Now I stick with easier colors to keep clean. Normally a gray or silver works well. The other colors are too much of a pain for me to keep looking as great as they deserve to look. Like the OP, my hat is off to those that can still keep a black car looking good.
And perhaps that is the insight we've been looking for. We can keep them looking good, though not all the time, or maybe even most of the time, but for those of us who have surrendered ourselves to the burdensome task we can keep them looking great some of the time. As Mr Kristofferson had crooned, "when she's good, lord, there ain't nothing better" course he also added "But, when she's wrong, she sure can be wrong"

Old 10-21-2017, 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by BryanL
Perhaps. But then I am reminded of a brilliant discourse at Edinburgh University by Stephen Pinker on language and its usage which had me laughing out loud because of its pure genius that was so rooted in human truth, species-specific predicable behavior, and the damn Oxford. Now that was clever. And very funny.

We must be careful not to presume because one's nose is in an Oxford lexicon that ones mouth cannot form a smile. Such a thought dangerously skirts the current state of intellect-bashing by our more dim-witted countrymen, a bashing out of pure jealously, as we rummage the endless word choices for pinhead, numbskull, simpleton, dunderhead, dolt, lame-brain...

Old 10-21-2017, 11:01 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by buddhaboy
when she's good, lord, there ain't nothing better
Its central to British sensibilities (or irrationality depending on your point of view)
As contrast, Germans traditionally designed seats to last twice as long and half as comfortable, The British approach always enjoy the daylights out of it, be damned the practicality or durability. That approach of weighing the right compromises is what lead to many of the formulas we know now. Think MBtex.

An architect friend who specifies white marble extensively summed it perfectly, the only reason not to choose white marble is that it leaves wine stains, but that only adds character and the other advantages are far greater than that inconvenience. Or as Winston once said about cigars, 'I have taken far more out of them than they have me'. I see black cars the same way.

Old 10-25-2017, 01:28 PM
Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

My biggest complaint about my Black XKR is the challenge associated with drying it fast enough so that water spots have not formed. I have gone so far as having an internal garage hose connection installed so I wash it with "soft" water. I thought that would help. It didn't.

You would all find it humorous to see how quickly I run around the car in my drying mode.

JRabbit (10-25-2017)
Old 10-25-2017, 01:45 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Ceckman
My biggest complaint about my Black XKR is the challenge associated with drying it fast enough so that water spots have not formed. I have gone so far as having an internal garage hose connection installed so I wash it with "soft" water. I thought that would help. It didn't.

You would all find it humorous to see how quickly I run around the car in my drying mode.
I wanted to post a video in this matter, but havent had the time to enlist an assistant to follow me with the camera.

I can dry my car without touching it and without using a single towel. With not a drop.

Perhaps I can post some succinct instruction:
Apply once every 3 years a hydrophobic coating. Recommend Sonnax.
Wash with mild Sonnax soap
Use a 12amp leaf blower- behold the wonderment.

Old 10-25-2017, 04:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 282 Likes on 170 Posts

On a side note, the leaf-blower has to be one of the most annoying inventions of all time.

Cee Jay (10-25-2017)
Old 10-25-2017, 04:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Originally Posted by JagRag
On a side note, the leaf-blower has to be one of the most annoying inventions of all time.
HAhaha , I have an 8 hp leaf blower I have used 5 times this fall so far. Being retired I use it during the day when my neighbors are away. By the way they have an awful large amount of leaves on their lawns. Must be the wind. LOL.

JagRag (10-25-2017)