XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Headlamp bulb for my 2007 xk ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2017, 02:38 AM
Received 333 Likes on 201 Posts
Default Headlamp bulb for my 2007 xk ?

Anybody change the headlight bulbs on their XK? Which ones do you like? Also what is the procedure? I think mine are old and tired and I would like something new and brighter.

Old 02-01-2017, 03:06 AM
GGG
Received 16,799 Likes on 12,168 Posts

Both front and rear lamps require the complete lamp unit to be removed to replace the bulbs.

I've had a tail light fail and had to take the headlamp units out to switch the dip (low beam) direction for touring in Continental Europe. Neither are difficult to remove and replace but it's hardly convenient for a simple bulb change. See pages 50 and 51 for the procedure:

2007 XK Drivers Handbook - Pages 43 to 59.pdf

The front wheels need to be put on full lock to access the fixing bolt in the wheel arch. You will lose fluid from the headlamp washer when disconnecting the pipes.

Graham

The following users liked this post:
michaelodonnell123 (02-01-2017)
Old 02-01-2017, 03:47 PM
Received 333 Likes on 201 Posts

Excellent reply - thank you.

Old 02-01-2017, 04:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,166 Likes on 2,335 Posts

Oh sweet Geezuz Jaguar. How many Jaguar engineers does it take to change a lightbulb? Ok a little fun at Jaguar's expense. (yes I know it's a minor job, but anything minor shouldn't require 2 pages of instructions so let's have a little fun.)

Additional instructions from me Michael.
  1. Disconnect battery
  2. Place vehicle on lift and raise to 31"
  3. Remove front bumper cover.
  4. Unbolt windshield wipers
  5. Carefully prise wipers from spline ends using Jaguar special tool C2P 31428
  6. Remove hood
  7. Remove windshield
  8. Repair dash leather while windshield is out
  9. Using special tool C2P 15897, attach engine hoist to engine
  10. Remove subframe
  11. Remove motor mounts
  12. Disconnect exhaust manifolds
  13. Drain coolant
  14. Remove upper and lower radiator hose
  15. Loosen steering rack
  16. Disconnect PS hoses
  17. Lift engine 3/8"
  18. Remove front wheels
  19. lower engine 1/4"
  20. Remove wheel arches
  21. Unbolt fenders
  22. Follow all the crap on pages 50-51 of owners handbook.
  23. Assembly is reverse of removal and replacement.

The following 2 users liked this post by Sean W:
LoudHogRider (02-02-2017), ralphwg (02-01-2017)
Old 02-02-2017, 10:11 AM
Received 420 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean W
Oh sweet Geezuz Jaguar. How many Jaguar engineers does it take to change a lightbulb? Ok a little fun at Jaguar's expense. (yes I know it's a minor job, but anything minor shouldn't require 2 pages of instructions so let's have a little fun.)

Additional instructions from me Michael.
  1. Disconnect battery
  2. Place vehicle on lift and raise to 31"
  3. Remove front bumper cover.
  4. Unbolt windshield wipers
  5. Carefully prise wipers from spline ends using Jaguar special tool C2P 31428
  6. Remove hood
  7. Remove windshield
  8. Repair dash leather while windshield is out
  9. Using special tool C2P 15897, attach engine hoist to engine
  10. Remove subframe
  11. Remove motor mounts
  12. Disconnect exhaust manifolds
  13. Drain coolant
  14. Remove upper and lower radiator hose
  15. Loosen steering rack
  16. Disconnect PS hoses
  17. Lift engine 3/8"
  18. Remove front wheels
  19. lower engine 1/4"
  20. Remove wheel arches
  21. Unbolt fenders
  22. Follow all the crap on pages 50-51 of owners handbook.
  23. Assembly is reverse of removal and replacement.
I took the liberty of repainting mine whilst it was completely disassembled. Seemed like the only logical next step left on the checklist.

FWIW, Jaguar is not alone in this regard. I bought my daughter a 2014 Ford Escape to drive to college, and a few months ago it needed a front right turn signal bulb replacement. The tear down procedure is not dissimilar to what you described above, and after pulling off the wheel, fender splash boot, and a few other parts, I came to the realization that only the hand of an eight year old could reach into the innermost recesses of the front bumper assembly where the bulb was inconveniently housed.

After contributing a few $$$ to the swear jar, I reassembled it and drove it to the dealer for repair. They claimed only one mechanic at their dealership had the physical configuration needed to complete the repair. I said a small prayer of condolence for his wife (tiny hand syndrome), paid the bill & drove it home, vowing to never attempt this procedure again.

Old 02-02-2017, 01:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,166 Likes on 2,335 Posts

Originally Posted by LoudHogRider
I took the liberty of repainting mine whilst it was completely disassembled. Seemed like the only logical next step left on the checklist.

FWIW, Jaguar is not alone in this regard. I bought my daughter a 2014 Ford Escape to drive to college, and a few months ago it needed a front right turn signal bulb replacement. The tear down procedure is not dissimilar to what you described above, and after pulling off the wheel, fender splash boot, and a few other parts, I came to the realization that only the hand of an eight year old could reach into the innermost recesses of the front bumper assembly where the bulb was inconveniently housed.

After contributing a few $$$ to the swear jar, I reassembled it and drove it to the dealer for repair. They claimed only one mechanic at their dealership had the physical configuration needed to complete the repair. I said a small prayer of condolence for his wife (tiny hand syndrome), paid the bill & drove it home, vowing to never attempt this procedure again.
I can relate. As bulb changes go, this is one of the easier ones in "modern" cars and really not much to it. The x350 bulb change outs do require a swear jar on hand.