XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Help

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 10:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help

hello members!
New to the forum. Sorry that i only join now that I have a problem but Im hoping everybody understands.
Check it guys, ive own my 2008 Jag XK for two yrs now. never had any problems but today after being out of town for couple weeks; i came back with the enthusiasm of wanting to drive my XK but to my surprise a yellow light illuminated in the dash & i have no clue what it mean????!!!!! bought car used & owners book was no wear to be found. can anybody help me out & tell me what this light means?
thought i might be able to upload a photo but it doesnt seem to be an option.the yellow light that illuminated is in the RPM section of the dash. any help would be appreciated.

thank you again.

-Kile

Old 07-01-2011, 01:45 AM
Default update

well got back in the car & the light wasn't on. I plan on running diagnosis asap, even if the light isnt on anylonger. its my understanding that these cars tend to store a history of codes.

even once the light turned on the car didnt feel any different & there was no loss of performance or anything, so I'm crossing fingers that I dont have to drive the 50 miles to Jag ***********. will see what happens.

Anyone else ever experience something similar?

Old 07-01-2011, 01:57 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Here is a cut and paste from another site.

A Yellow Warning light, indicates "Proceed with caution." The onboard computer system has indicated a potential problem and is alerting the driver. This computer system resets and re-tests all sensors and indicators each time the car is started. The computer system is capable of correcting some minor abnormalities, but if the light continues to come on after multiple car starts, it is probably sensing something that would imply a visit to the diagnostic mechanic is in order.
Some common things that may cause a yellow light to come on, but will probably require an experienced technician to diagnose are:
anti-lock brake systems safety restraint systems, such as air bags emissions components computer-related problems, such as faulty sensors
If you are driving your car and a yellow light comes on, ask yourself these questions:
1. Did you notice problems when starting the car?
2. Have you noticed a decrease in fuel mileage recently?
3. What is the over-all running condition of the car? Is the engine misfiring? Are there any new noises? Turn off the radio and listen closely as you drive the car.
4. Do you notice any odors, such as a rotten egg smell?
Make sure to note the exact location and wording of the light that has been coming on, because Murphy's Law dictates that the light will suddenly not come on when you take it in to the repair shop.
In some cars, "engine" is the more serious red light, whereas others use "check engine," which is a yellow caution light. If the mechanic thinks you are seeing a yellow "check engine" light, and your car is indicating a red "engine" danger light, this could be a costly mistake for both of you.
Start the car, and point to the light to ensure good communication of the problem. Intermittent dash warning lights can be a pain and hard to diagnose! Diagnosing the problem in some cases will require the light to be on while the mechanic performs the diagnostic test. If the light is not on when you bring the car to the shop, you might be wasting your time and the mechanic's.
SIDE NOTE: Keep a "running condition and dash light" log in your car to help the mechanic pin point the root of the problem. I have a customer who keeps such an accurate log of her cars' complaints that sometimes I can diagnose the problem correctly with the help of her log and taking her along on my initial test drive, and I can do it without opening the hood to her car. This saves me time and she saves money on a diagnostic charge.

Old 07-01-2011, 09:58 AM
Received 109 Likes on 67 Posts

You can always rent an OBDII scanner from Autozone (free but deposit needed and you can take it home) or Advanced Auto (bring your car and they can scan it). I usually rent with Autozone so I can take my time scanning it myself. Also.....you can erase some of the codes through the scanner.

I just checked and the light in the RPM guage is the check engine light. Check engine can be anything from a bad 02 sensor, thermostat, MAF,TPS etc. I've gotten 3 check engine lights before....1 for a bad auxillary motor and 2 for fuel filler cap.

Use the OBDII scanner to check if you get any codes......or bring it to the dealer to have it checked.

Last edited by GhostriderXKR08; 07-01-2011 at 10:12 AM.
Old 07-01-2011, 12:20 PM
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Handbook download is available as part of this section of the Jag Forums. https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/2...ownload-10580/

Old 07-01-2011, 06:14 PM

Great forum you guys have here, very informative & helpful people.

much obliged for the info.

keep u posted in any finds.

Old 07-02-2011, 04:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

Good to see our valuable members helped you out . We have other sections too, feel free to take a look them