XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Help! Battery dead, can't open the trunk!

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2012, 04:28 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Help! Battery dead, can't open the trunk!

I'm stuck overseas, my father has my 2007 XKR coupe, can't get the rescue key to work and the battery is dead. Is there another way to open the trunk or can you possibly recharge the battery from somewhere under the hood?

- already tried one cigarette lighter charger, but the charger didn't want to work (possibly due to complicated electronics). Does anyone know a specific model battery charger that works through the cigarette lighter?

Any/all recommendations are appreciated.

Old 12-30-2012, 04:41 PM
Received 6,250 Likes on 5,450 Posts

You can use the key, the lock is behind the number plate. Did he try that?

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
locks.pdf (63.3 KB, 1681 views)
Old 12-31-2012, 04:52 AM

Yes, he tried that and for whatever reason couldn't get the key to work. I really don't understand what the problem with it could be, but he's 70, contankerous and not likely to appreciate me telling him he's doing something wrong.

The car doors are unlocked, which means he can get under the hood, and there must be a charge point somewhere that would work...

Old 12-31-2012, 07:53 AM
Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

I had exactly the same thing happen to me a couple days ago. I was using my OBD scanner and forgot to turn off the key when I was done.
I opened the hood and on the right side of the car is a plastic cover for the fuse box. Open the cover and you will see a heavy gauge wire, probably covered with a rubber cap. Pull back the cap and put a battery charger on it. I simply used a small floating type that I had handy. After a couple minutes I tried the trunk and it opened with no problem. It seems that it does not take much of a charge to open the trunk. Then I put a regular battery charged directly on the battery and let it charge for several hours before I tried to start the car. I hope this helps....

The following 2 users liked this post by Lanny:
hawaii (12-31-2012), JonWat (03-29-2018)
Old 01-09-2013, 09:47 PM
Received 109 Likes on 87 Posts

Only true for steel XK's (eg. my wife's)...........but not true for 2006 & on Al. XK's. Key is only choice that I know of...................

Adrian

Old 01-10-2013, 05:41 AM

Thanks for the replies - A knowledgable dealership service center (Jake Kaplan, Warwick RI) talked me through it. Not sure if this is specific to my model - 2007 XKR.

Under the driver's side rear fender, about 1ft behind the rear tire-well, there is a positive terminal covered with a rubber cap. I found it without jacking up the car, hooked on a battery charger, negative cable clamped on the frame, charged for about a minute and that was enough juice to pop the trunk! Simple and easy to find once you know where to look.

The following 2 users liked this post by Swagga:
CedricQ (11-15-2023), GritsNCornbread (01-14-2014)
Old 01-10-2013, 07:41 AM
Received 97 Likes on 78 Posts

Here is a jpg or two of the remote jump start terminal on a 2007 XK. I've seen this terminal inside the car on the left side just behind the 'vent' in the left hand cover in the trunk area but never look below the car as is insinuated in a post above.

It is item #7 in the jpgs.

I believe if you look in the owners handbook you'll see this location somewhere. The negative post is also there but under the cover that hides the spare tire.

EDIT: The last two jpg are out of the Owners Handbook

Attached Thumbnails Help!  Battery dead, can't open the trunk!-jumping-jack.jpg   Help!  Battery dead, can't open the trunk!-jumping-jack-two.jpg   Help!  Battery dead, can't open the trunk!-trim-panel.jpg   Help!  Battery dead, can't open the trunk!-remove-trim-panel.jpg  

Last edited by Hailers; 01-10-2013 at 07:51 AM.
Old 01-10-2013, 12:04 PM

Once my driveway dried out today, I got under the left rear fender and I see the positive cable and the boot mentioned in another post by Swagga. It's the same source that you find inside the car that I showed in one of my jpgs in a post above.

Seems to me it's just as easy to lay under the fender..........move the boot off the terminal.....and then attach a positive lead off a charger as it is to access that cable from inside the car. A toss up imho.

Old 01-11-2013, 06:34 PM

That's frightening; a 12V supply in an external wire under the left rear fender! Is it just for a charge point or what?
That's worse than a 787!
I agree very easy access but what about snow or water; measured mine, it's only 20 1/2" above the ground!
Never noticed that before...........we live and learn.
Glad it never rains in Seattle!

Thanks Swagga for warning us...................

Old 01-11-2013, 07:16 PM
Received 59 Likes on 42 Posts

That connection is sealed off; in fact the whole area where it is located is sealed and not exposed in any way to the elements. It is NOT REALLY UNDER the rear fender/quarter panel.

Old 01-11-2013, 08:08 PM

Not true! the one with access thru the trunk is, but the +bolt goes thru the floor and comes out open to the elements behind the fender liner; at least on my 07 Coupe.
You sure you looked underneath the floor and not just in the trunk?
Maybe convertibles are different...............

Adrian

Old 01-12-2013, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by britannia
Not true! the one with access thru the trunk is, but the +bolt goes thru the floor and comes out open to the elements behind the fender liner; at least on my 07 Coupe.
You sure you looked underneath the floor and not just in the trunk?
Maybe convertibles are different...............

Adrian
I'll have to check again. You may be correct.

Old 01-12-2013, 08:27 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Good information to know. Then isn't that a simple place to hook up a charger to for winter storage rather than fishing it through the trunk?

Old 01-12-2013, 10:57 AM

It is! But I have a dedicated twin wire attached to my battery that ends in trunk with 'Battery Tender' connector. Very quick and easy to connect charger and leave hatch open a tad using my tool bag (never have a Jaguar without a tool kit!).
Underneath fender would work well too. Didn't know about that till yesterday!
My garage floor is clean and heated; but too late, I'm use to inside trunk!
Will measure sometime height of XKE battery terminals above ground; XK120/140 may be worse. So no panic............
Good to remember if locked out of car, flat battery and lost key though.
Driving my XK to Seattle Jag AGM today if it warms up to 34 Degrees by noon, 28 right now (9am).

TTFN Adrian

Old 01-12-2013, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by britannia
It is! But I have a dedicated twin wire attached to my battery that ends in trunk with 'Battery Tender' connector. Very quick and easy to connect charger and leave hatch open a tad using my tool bag (never have a Jaguar without a tool kit!)............................

TTFN Adrian
This is the way I have mine and it works well.

Old 01-12-2013, 01:02 PM

Jpgs attached.

1st jpg is of the remote battery positive terminal inside the car. It's boot is on the terminal.

2nd jpg is inside the car showing the boot pulled back from the positive termainal.

4th jpg is taken from under the car.......looking up under the left rear fender showing how a large cable from the battery positive is routed under the car and up into the area where the first two jpg above exists.

3rd jpg is the same as the 3rd but with the boot pulled back so you can see where you could possible connect a battery charger to that positive terminal.

The post above by Swagga got me started on this little picture taking project.

The termainal under the left rear fender should have a boot covering it like shown in my jpgs to prevent crud and corrosion etc.

Attached Thumbnails Help!  Battery dead, can't open the trunk!-battery-terminal-innner.jpg   Help!  Battery dead, can't open the trunk!-termainal-inner-boot-back.jpg   Help!  Battery dead, can't open the trunk!-terminal-under-boot-off.jpg   Help!  Battery dead, can't open the trunk!-terminal-under-car-boot-.jpg  

Last edited by Hailers; 01-12-2013 at 01:04 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Hailers:
bobdr1 (01-27-2015), JonWat (03-29-2018)
Old 01-13-2014, 05:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by Lanny
I had exactly the same thing happen to me a couple days ago. I was using my OBD scanner and forgot to turn off the key when I was done.
I opened the hood and on the right side of the car is a plastic cover for the fuse box. Open the cover and you will see a heavy gauge wire, probably covered with a rubber cap. Pull back the cap and put a battery charger on it. I simply used a small floating type that I had handy. After a couple minutes I tried the trunk and it opened with no problem. It seems that it does not take much of a charge to open the trunk. Then I put a regular battery charged directly on the battery and let it charge for several hours before I tried to start the car. I hope this helps....
Came back from 3 month vacation and found I had a dead battery on my 2000 XK8. I put the charger on the heavy gauge wire input to the rt side fuse box and hit the truck unlock with success. Thanks for the tip. Roger/Oregon

Old 01-13-2014, 06:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 788 Posts

Check out this thread here on Jaguar Forums.......

It may just help someone.....

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...lation-107738/

Old 03-28-2018, 10:32 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I can't seem to find the behind the wheel well jump point. Is a 1998 jump point in a different place by any chance? I'm trying to use a jump pack on the large wire by the under hood fuse box on the drivers side, so far I still cant get enough juice to open the trunk (key does not work). Thanks for any help!

Jim

Old 03-28-2018, 10:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 5,157 Likes on 3,090 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimscriv
I can't seem to find the behind the wheel well jump point. Is a 1998 jump point in a different place by any chance? I'm trying to use a jump pack on the large wire by the under hood fuse box on the drivers side, so far I still cant get enough juice to open the trunk (key does not work). Thanks for any help!

Jim
The problem here, Jim, is this is the 2007-2015 (X150) XK-XKR forum.
This is what YOU want:

Quick Reply: Help! Battery dead, can't open the trunk!