XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

HELP! My Batmobile's shifter gate is peeling & I need a solution!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2017, 12:02 PM
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Default HELP! My Batmobile's shifter gate is peeling & I need a solution!!

Aloha All!
I see that the electrostatic paint peeling on the shifter gate is not uncommon. I'm going have an installer try to put a wrap over the shifter but the installer is unsure of the results. The peeling button is also problem.

My mechanic says the whole shifter assembly has to be removed as the top cannot be replaced. The shifter and installation are expensive and you still face future peeling. Sheesh!

I'm wondering if someone has a solution or could make a sticker that was made to match the outline? Clearly there is trouble in paradise!

Thanks for your assistance!
Thomas

Old 07-12-2017, 12:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 359 Likes on 254 Posts

Hmmm, I've pondered this too as my has a "zit" in the middle. I thought of a carbon wrap type deal, but, you have to have a plan to handle the lettering.
I've had decals made in the past (vintage motorcycle) and am considering discussing this as a solution to this problem. They can be made with such precision so as to allow for the lighted lettering to show at night.

BTW, I've research changing out the mechanism, but, decided in the end it's not practical for the same reasons you've mentioned.

Attached Thumbnails HELP! My Batmobile's shifter gate is peeling & I need a solution!!-jags-shifter-bezel.jpg  
Old 07-12-2017, 02:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 651 Likes on 477 Posts

I think there is an after market gate in the works, you might be able to turn it up in the search feature.

The chrome on the gate:

What likely happened is that part did not get 100% clean before surface finishing, so getting another OEM part can lead to similar problems until you get one that finally lasts.

Its not the spec of the material, but inconsistent execution. You could keep getting replacements until you finally get one that is "right".

The missing black:
Did something abrasive rub that off? It is missing on a button as well. Did something spill?

You might be able to take it to a vinyl shop and see if they can scrape/clean wrap it for you.

Old 07-12-2017, 05:19 PM
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

The missing black is the point. I have no issue with the chrome.

Old 07-12-2017, 06:13 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by HawaiiRealtor
Yeah, your problem got a little sidetracked......I'm seeking a solution as I mentioned, as well.

Old 07-12-2017, 07:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Originally Posted by HawaiiRealtor
Interesting it looks like a wear point by your hand to start and stop the car. Either wear or acids in your hand.

Old 07-13-2017, 10:39 AM
Received 420 Likes on 205 Posts

Gentlemen - I'm from Corporate and I'm here to help. *

* sorry - loved using that line back in the day

Here's what I can bring to the thread. I've been in contact with a vendor on eBay (solar_signa) that previously manufactured an aluminum cover plate for the older XK8 models. He has a prototype being developed right now for our model that will essentially be a stick-on with cut-outs for the shifter stops and will also cover the chrome trim ring.

I'm scheduled to receive the prototype once it's been built and will bring pics and a review once I've had a chance to work with it. See below for the full details of our correspondence:

Kurt

solar_signa

Ok, I was thinking of simply covering the chrome surrounding with the plate. The numbers would be cut out to let the light go through for sure. Besides that, good to know the stick on version is a good option. I appreciate the feedback.

On 2017-06-28, 15:02, LoudHogRider wrote:

Stick on would be much cleaner. There are two basic issues with the shifter plate that Jag owners are trying to correct:

1) the paint peels. You can't just respray it due to the illumination through the unpainted portions of that plate that indicate (particularly at night) which gear you're in.

2) the Chrome trim ring peels.

Something that sat flat with "P/R/N/D/S openings with a or wrap to cover the chrome trim ring would do it.

solar_signa

I did say that. The first steps have been done and the 3d model is in my computer. I am very busy this summer, but I'll talk to my associate to see if he can begin phase 2. We were thinking of making a stick on model instead of a screwed on one. Any thoughts on the matter?

Thank you

Malcolm

On 2017-06-26, 16:24, LoudHogRider wrote:

Malcolm -

Any progress on the shifter plate cover for the 07-09 Jaguar XK models? Our previous correspondence indicated you'd have on ready this summer, and ... here we are. Thanks!

Kurt

The following users liked this post:
winstonsalemncxk (11-03-2017)
Old 07-13-2017, 10:44 AM
Veteran Member

I'm standing by..........thanks for sharing!

Old 07-13-2017, 10:58 AM
Received 106 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by LoudHogRider

Here's what I can bring to the thread. I've been in contact with a vendor on eBay (solar_signa) that previously manufactured an aluminum cover plate for the older XK8 models. He has a prototype being developed right now for our model that will essentially be a stick-on with cut-outs for the shifter stops and will also cover the chrome trim ring.

I'm scheduled to receive the prototype once it's been built and will bring pics and a review once I've had a chance to work with it. See below for the full details of our correspondence:

Kurt

Kurt
I had a similar problem with my T-Bird and abt 10yrs ago I opted to try the above described method of laying a precut 'cover' over the existing shifter plate. I was a bit hesitant, but when the part arrived and I laid it on top of the existing plate it was an exact match. The cut outs for the illuminated gear selection was bang on..... however, abt 6 mos ago, I did notice that its starting to lift in one corner. Having said that, its been on for a looong time. If I had the same problem with the XK I would definitely order a similar part if one were available. If its half as good as what I have on the T-Bird one should get 5 years out of it.

Old 07-13-2017, 11:55 AM
Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts

Kurt

solar_signa

Ok, I was thinking of simply covering the chrome surrounding with the plate. The numbers would be cut out to let the light go through for sure. Besides that, good to know the stick on version is a good option. I appreciate the feedback.

On 2017-06-28, 15:02, LoudHogRider wrote:

Stick on would be much cleaner. There are two basic issues with the shifter plate that Jag owners are trying to correct:

1) the paint peels. You can't just respray it due to the illumination through the unpainted portions of that plate that indicate (particularly at night) which gear you're in.

2) the Chrome trim ring peels.

Something that sat flat with "P/R/N/D/S openings with a or wrap to cover the chrome trim ring would do it.

solar_signa

I did say that. The first steps have been done and the 3d model is in my computer. I am very busy this summer, but I'll talk to my associate to see if he can begin phase 2. We were thinking of making a stick on model instead of a screwed on one. Any thoughts on the matter?

Thank you

Malcolm

On 2017-06-26, 16:24, LoudHogRider wrote:

Malcolm -

Any progress on the shifter plate cover for the 07-09 Jaguar XK models? Our previous correspondence indicated you'd have on ready this summer, and ... here we are. Thanks!

Kurt

im in if it goes through ! Group buy???

Old 07-13-2017, 06:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,168 Likes on 3,393 Posts

Several years ago, I noticed that the inside edges of the chrome surrounding the J gate felt rough and sharp in several places, most noticeably where you push the lever to the left into the S slot. See my post #28: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...t-72891/page2/

To smooth out the roughness and prevent any further wear damage to the chrome coating, I carefully applied a thin layer of quick dry clear epoxy over the inside edges of that strip with a toothpick and then smoothed it out with my fingertip. After it dried, it was completely invisible and felt smoother but not perfect. I gave it a second coat and it has held up OK. It's not visible unless you look closely, and there are no more sharp edges. The black coating on the rest of my shifter plate is still good.

Stuart

Old 07-13-2017, 09:56 PM
Received 420 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by myexcursion
im in if it goes through ! Group buy???
I'd need a committed "list" of guys with dinged shifter assembly plates/surround rings in order to negotiate a group buy. FWIW, I don't think they're going to be that expensive based on his comparable eBay item for the XK8/XKR model years, but I'll sure ask.

Old 07-14-2017, 05:20 PM
Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts

I'd need a committed "list" of guys with dinged shifter assembly plates/surround rings in order to negotiate a group buy. FWIW, I don't think they're going to be that expensive based on his comparable eBay item for the XK8/XKR model years, but I'll sure ask.
let me know when you're ready with dates / price. Definitely interested if price and quality is right

Old 07-14-2017, 07:23 PM
Veteran Member
Old 07-15-2017, 07:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,905 Likes on 1,292 Posts

+1
I don't have a need for it now, but it's the type of thing that may be hard to find in the future if I have a need, so it would be nice to have on hand.

The following users liked this post:
TBKIII (06-30-2023)
Old 07-15-2017, 09:54 AM
Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts
Old 07-16-2017, 05:21 PM
Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

i'm in but need it fast, as i'm selling the car and it looks terrible with the peeling chrome.

Old 07-17-2017, 02:09 AM
Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm in - sounds like a great solution

Old 07-17-2017, 02:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,544 Likes on 893 Posts

Originally Posted by multistrada74
i'm in but need it fast, as i'm selling the car and it looks terrible with the peeling chrome.
Selling ??

What is the replacement

Old 07-17-2017, 02:44 PM
Veteran Member

This is a problem with two separate solutions; one for the black surround, and the other for the chrome J-gate surround. That would be more cost-effective than a single fix, since some of us need one but not the other. And I think it would take vendors with two separate and distinct types of businesses to produce both components.

Here's what I'd like to see:
1. Fix the peeling black surround with a textured vinyl sticker with die-cut openings for the letters and symbols to show through.
2. Fix the peeling chrome on the J-gate surround with a stamped stainless steel overlay that will fit over the existing chrome trim. It could either press fit or glue on.

These would be easy to install without having to remove the plate. Only the shift knob would need to be removed, unless the overlay could flex to get over the knob.

Does anyone know of any sources to manufacture these parts?

Quick Reply: HELP! My Batmobile's shifter gate is peeling & I need a solution!!