XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Hesitation on acceleration from start up

Old 04-19-2017, 06:34 PM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Hesitation on acceleration from start up

After enjoying the first 500 miles on our 2013 XK, (22,000 miles) a problem has developed. On three separate occasions after starting the car,,, going 50 or so feet to a stop sign, then trying to accelerate up to speed, the car has hesitated, and lost power, unable to safely accelerate or get up to speed. We were able to limp to the side of the road, engine still running, then after about a minute, try accelerating again, and everything is fine.
This has happened on both cold start and a normal operating temp start. No hard acceleration, just a normal acceleration. No warning lights or messages came on. The selector was in Drive.
I seem to remember something about a LHM,, Limp Home Mode,, but can't find it again.
Any Ideas ???

Thanks in Advance,
Steve from Canton

Old 04-19-2017, 06:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,180 Likes on 893 Posts

I have never had that issue with any of my XKs or XKR. I do recall somebody else having that issue. So, up at the top of this page there is a search box on the right hand side. Suggest you type in your issue there and see what pops up. good luck.

Old 04-19-2017, 07:17 PM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I did a few searches,, thanks for pointing that out,,

Could it possibly have something to do with the paddle shifter thinking it was in 5th or 6th ?? Even though we were in actually in Drive and not useing the paddle shifter????

Steve from Canton

Old 04-19-2017, 09:07 PM
Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

I've heard of a similar issue where during long drives the transmission will not shift down automatically as it slows. And the car jerks, as a result when coming to a stop. It's fixed with a transmission software update. You could have the same issue.

Try using the paddles and see if it replicates the issue when you start the car. If the issue doesn't happen with paddles, then it's the drive software that's the culprit.

Old 04-19-2017, 09:40 PM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

New to the XKR forum, my previous Jags having been a '00 XK8 convertible and a '09 Supercharged XF. Current vehicle is a 2011 XKR. I came across these TSB's on my alldata subscription, not sure if they are of any help...I see yours is a '13 model, but perhaps it has a similar issue as the previous years?

Allan

Attached Thumbnails Hesitation on acceleration from start up-img_1041.png   Hesitation on acceleration from start up-img_1042.png  
The following users liked this post:
huntsf (09-06-2018)
Old 09-06-2018, 04:18 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for this information! I will have to return to the dealer and have this checked out and remedied. Quite frustrating.