XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Hi from new member

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 02:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hi from new member

Brand new to the forum and the world of Jaguar ownership, and very pleased with both. I've already learned a few things from scanning these posts, such as my '08 Jag XKR only has one back up light! I was about to take it into the shop to replace a bulb.

I've had a lot of great sportscars - Porsches, American muscle cars, even a Maserati Coupe (which I just sold), and nothing I've ever owned comes close to the refined quality and power of the Jag. It has all the elements you expect from such an expensive car; great electronics, thoughtful details, comfortable seats. And then there's the powerplant. My God! It's as if the Flux Capaciter has unlimited throttle! The engine just keeps pulling and pulling and pulling hard as you press down on the go pedal, and when you sling this gorgeous cat into a corner, she loves to break her tail out without losing front grip. Amazing, amazing car.

I almost bought another Maserati before settling on this gem, and as beautiful and exotic as the Masers are, they don't hold a candle to the Jags for performance, dependability, and all-around quality of build. Yes, there are far more Jags on the road, but that means they're doing something right! I always worried about the Maserati on long trips - they tend to be a touch fragile - but I have no such concerns about my cat.

I'll post pics when I take some this weekend.

Thanks,

D2

Last edited by D-squared; 11-11-2009 at 02:50 PM.
Old 11-11-2009, 02:56 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

Welcome to the group D2! Notice any front end similarities between your old Maserati and the new XK? I think 2nd cousins would be appropriate geneology.

Hope you find something to do around here, help out the dysfunctional members like myself and make some friends. We all feel the same way you do about your car, even if its not as new or shiny.

Old 11-11-2009, 04:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

Welcome, you would not feel like kicking yourself for buying a Jag but kick others .....

Old 11-16-2009, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by h20boy
Welcome to the group D2! Notice any front end similarities between your old Maserati and the new XK? I think 2nd cousins would be appropriate geneology.
Thanks! Yes, there are definite similarities. They both remind me of a beautiful athlete at full dash with her mouth open as she fills her lungs with air. I think the Maserati is just a stunning gorgeous vehicle, but the Jag is equally stunning, especially in the rear (hey ... I'm an *** man).

I also must say the Cat just seems better put-together and thought-out.

Of course, my Maserati was an older model (2003) when the company was reintroducing itself to America and working out the kinks in their new designs. From what I hear the newer ones are vastly improved.

The Maser was sure a lot of fun to drive, though! Pure, raw Ferrari muscle.

Old 11-16-2009, 09:12 PM
Received 447 Likes on 333 Posts

A Maserati is "Ferrari" Muscle?? Enzo spins in his grave.

Old 11-17-2009, 06:38 AM
Default Yes, Maserati has Ferrari DNA.

The engine is 100% Ferrari. (Ferrari took control of Maserati from Fiat in 1999).

Old 01-19-2010, 08:17 AM

lYep, Ferrari owns Maserati. So Tony gets the benefit of his cousin Tony's engine. And yes, I think they are beautiful, but they have (especially the early ones) lots of problems and don't drive as well as analagous vehicles. I beieve the tested one on Top Gear and thought it was one of the worst expensive cars they had ever driven. That said, it was new and still kinked. Recently, they have worked those out and I hear they are coming along nicely. I have a friend who owns a Grand Sport and she loves it, although she says it feels boatlike compared to her Beetle (Porsche). A sort of aquaintance owns a Qutraporte and he seems happy with it.

Like you, I would worry buying a Maserati unless I knew I was going to be somewhere close to the dealer. Jags may be high end, but every state has at least one dealer. There are only a handful of Maserati repairmen scattered around the U.S. Same with Aston Martin. Which is why I bought the XKR. One, I love them, and always have. When all my friends were going on about Stingray's, I was always saying, "What about the E Type?" I have owned 4 Jags counting my current one, and will probably have more. They are simply beautiful, well put together vehicles with outstanding customer service. The few foibles my cars have had were all taken care of quite expeditiously by the dealer. Still looking for a well priced E-Type droptop that is in dependable running order, preferably in British Racing Green with tan with saddle interior.

Last edited by Darth; 01-19-2010 at 08:21 AM.